collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by LeeB
[Today at 09:54:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 09:51:04 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by LeeB
[Today at 09:50:04 AM]

Re: FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:45:57 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343793 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: VAR
« Reply #2625 on: November 23, 2022, 03:37:38 PM »
Peter walton is a bellend but the bit about offside just was really interesting. Saying that the system at the world cup involves a chip in the ball that triggers when it's been kicked (so I assume a multi-direction accelerometer) and it 'pings' the server on kick which then snapshots the position of players and can give an instant offside decision. That is exactly what should've been implemented alongside the very first version of VAR because it makes it a factual decision and gets rid of one of the most contested parts of the whole concept.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #2626 on: November 23, 2022, 04:44:39 PM »
Because I am a sad bastard, I have just watched a football match and concentrated on the the natural position of the players arms.

When they all walked or run their arms moved away from their bodies in a forward and backwards motion. Not one player walked or run with his arms straight down by his side. I kid you not, have a look for yourselves!!

What is this 'natural' position crap I hear every week from the Premier League big knobs. The only unnatural positions I see is when a defender puts his arms behind his back when going in for a block instead of protecting the family jewels.

Villa get more than their fair share of penalties awarded against them for having arms.

This 'natural' position of your arms lark needs to be clearly defined, or better still, scrapped altogether. Any fool knows the difference between a deliberate and accidental handball. At least we did before VAR.

Natural, my arse.  >:(
The muppet on BT, Walton, I think, always talks about incidents being, & I quote, “subjective”. I always thought that the point of having rules & regulations is so that everyone knows what they can & can’t do. Adding “subjective” refereeing gives an excuse for the absolute one sided morons like Halsey, Hackett, etc. The worst of the worst who favour certain clubs & have an issue with others. “Subjective” rules & regulations aren’t worth the paper they are written on. They are not rules & regulations. They are made up on the spot. Usually by an authoritarian dickhead.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2627 on: November 23, 2022, 04:54:05 PM »
Because I am a sad bastard, I have just watched a football match and concentrated on the the natural position of the players arms.

When they all walked or run their arms moved away from their bodies in a forward and backwards motion. Not one player walked or run with his arms straight down by his side. I kid you not, have a look for yourselves!!

What is this 'natural' position crap I hear every week from the Premier League big knobs. The only unnatural positions I see is when a defender puts his arms behind his back when going in for a block instead of protecting the family jewels.

Villa get more than their fair share of penalties awarded against them for having arms.

This 'natural' position of your arms lark needs to be clearly defined, or better still, scrapped altogether. Any fool knows the difference between a deliberate and accidental handball. At least we did before VAR.

Natural, my arse.  >:(
This is true, they have changed the Laws of the game to suit VAR when VAr should in fact be helping referees get the Laws right.
The un natural position is just bollocks.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2628 on: November 23, 2022, 07:37:45 PM »
Peter walton is a bellend but the bit about offside just was really interesting. Saying that the system at the world cup involves a chip in the ball that triggers when it's been kicked (so I assume a multi-direction accelerometer) and it 'pings' the server on kick which then snapshots the position of players and can give an instant offside decision. That is exactly what should've been implemented alongside the very first version of VAR because it makes it a factual decision and gets rid of one of the most contested parts of the whole concept.
This has been my biggest gripe since the introduction of VAR and we witnessed the first time they used stupid lines on the screen to give offside by the width of a nasal hair. If your going to attempt that kind of precision then you have to be certain of the precise moment the ball leaves the passing players boot. That just seems so blindingly obvious. When we resume domestic football the prats who run PMGOL will revert to guessing with blurry images and dodgy lines all over the place. Once we see this new technology being used accurately surely there's a case for PL clubs to demand it's introduction and suspend the use of VAR for offside decisions until they have it. The stakes are too high in the world's richest domestic football league to allow a bunch of amateurs to call the shots.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 07:39:33 PM by The Edge »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2629 on: November 24, 2022, 04:33:25 AM »
VAR was at fault for not giving Canada a second pen.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2630 on: November 24, 2022, 08:51:51 AM »
VAR was at fault for not giving Canada a second pen.

Yeah I thought that, the player had beat his man and he clearly trod on his foot

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2631 on: December 22, 2022, 10:37:01 AM »

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2632 on: December 22, 2022, 09:47:31 PM »
Surely the correct thing to do is give the goal retrospectively, or award whatever points has been denied by mistakes?  If they are hellbent on trying to remove all mistakes from the game, surely they can alter results afterwards?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #2633 on: December 23, 2022, 08:25:22 PM »
Surely the correct thing to do is give the goal retrospectively, or award whatever points has been denied by mistakes?  If they are hellbent on trying to remove all mistakes from the game, surely they can alter results afterwards?

Seriously, think of revenue streams rather than justice and you will be on the road to redemption.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2634 on: February 11, 2023, 11:54:53 PM »
It's funny because it's Chelsea, but what an absolutely horrendous decision not to give a penalty against Soucek for handball. PGMOL have said it's because the hand that touched the ball was used to support him as he fell over. He didn't fall over, he dived to save it!

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #2635 on: February 12, 2023, 12:06:16 AM »
It's funny because it's Chelsea, but what an absolutely horrendous decision not to give a penalty against Soucek for handball. PGMOL have said it's because the hand that touched the ball was used to support him as he fell over. He didn't fall over, he dived to save it!

Yep.

Remember that Stripey fecker who who piked the ball into our net volleyball stylee? These incidents stay with you and make you bitter and twisted unless you achieve oneness with the universe.

AS Woody Allen, who you dislike IIRC, quipped: Once you achieve oneness you can move ahead to twoness.

That's it; that's the tweet.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #2636 on: February 12, 2023, 12:09:11 AM »
It was glorious, I would have been fuming if that was us.

Didn't think the one at Celtic was deliberate so a pen AND a red card seems a bit harsh.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2637 on: February 12, 2023, 12:26:26 AM »
VAR had a mare today. Not just the Chelsea one but also in 2 other games. Drawing the offside line on the wrong defender is a special kind of stupid.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2638 on: February 12, 2023, 01:05:55 AM »
The offside line is for me the biggest fraud in amongst the litany of frauds that is VAR…plotting a line like it’s a true fact is terrible, picking the camera shot that they use to judge the split second a ball is played is impossible because they have no tech to judge the correct moment.  Getting the line on the wrong player is a special type of incompetence.

Soucek handball is so obvious…

Unfortunately we will never get rid of this utter crapness now because the tribal nature means you celebrate decisions going for you and those going against your rivals.

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #2639 on: February 12, 2023, 03:44:28 AM »
Just out of interest - I'm away at the moment so only seen snippets on my phone but would Cam's goal have been awarded with Var ? Looks very tight as I try to slow it down on said phone but those of you who've seen a better image may have a more informed opinion. Also, the Soucek handball looks hilarious - for everyone except Potter who could ultimately lose his job because of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal