collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 351570 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: VAR
« Reply #2595 on: September 08, 2022, 02:51:30 PM »
In terms of drawing the lines, the new automated system in the UCL is much, much quicker.

The technology will improve.  They've tried sensors in the ball.  It's possible all players will have a gps (they already wear one) between their shoulders and that will be the single measure - I think that's what I would be in favour of. 

In short, the technical part of offside is very fixable and will be sorted shortly.  There will still be refs interpretation of impacting play etc, as there should be.

As for everything else, I'm essentially saying in my view a ref should just have an opportunity to take a second look at major decisions on one of several monitors around the ground, with a VAR to assist with angles and advise as needed or not.  It would be a quick sense check, with his attention drawn to anything he may have missed.  I don't see why that wouldn't work or why it would be too painful for fans.

I've got a better idea for offsides.  We just do away with Linesmen, and attach electrodes to the genitals of all the players which discharge an electric shock when their GPS detects that they are offside.  The current passed through them would increase relevant to the distance they are offside.

Of course, this could introduce a whole new skillset for players. As the only way of knowing if someone is offside is by their reaction to having an electrical current passed through their gentlemen's area, we could get a stack of strikers whose main attribute is their relative imperviousness to pain.  I could imagine this leading to a whole new generation of old-fashioned Mick Harford style centre forwards who spend their entire time goal-hanging around the 6 yard box whilst gritting their teeth as their danglies slowly get fried.

It would still be better than VAR.

Poor old JPA would have been neutered .

Offline Baldy

« Reply #2596 on: September 08, 2022, 03:26:55 PM »
They aren't all objective in rugby.  You are right about tennis and cricket, but even then 'umpire's call' comes in to it on lbw.

With hockey, it doesn't really matter how much it's used, it's whether it works when it is used.  The point is, all of these sports have their own version of VAR and it all works incredibly well.  There's nothing so unique about football that means our own version can't work well too, once they get it right.

Non of this changes my general point that in a ref taking a second look at a decision doesn't need to be massively time consuming or controversial. The major flaw at the moment is the way they have chosen to operate it and the repeated errors being made by the incompetants running it.

Umpires call is the answer to offside.

Linos should let play run but once the play finishes, if they felt it was offside they stick their flag up.  VAR then get 10 seconds to review.  No longer.  No silly lines.  If an error is obvious from one replay, the decision is changed.  If it's not an obvious error, umpires call, and stick with the onfield decision.

If you need silly lines or 3 minutes to work out if a player is offside, based on imperfect technology then you're doing it wrong.

Agreed 100%. This is a game of football not a 'Crime Scene Investigation'.

Online Simon Page

« Reply #2597 on: September 08, 2022, 03:56:22 PM »

That is a genius way of putting it.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2598 on: September 08, 2022, 04:14:32 PM »
Yet millions of pounds, sometimes 10's of millions can rest on a bad call.  And funnily enough, the vast majority of these 'bad calls' fall in favour of the 'big' clubs.

Who knows, if we had (a functioning) VAR at the time we might well have won a trophy in 2010.  I know I walked out the stadium disgusted at the refereeing on that day.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #2599 on: September 08, 2022, 04:18:56 PM »
Yet millions of pounds, sometimes 10's of millions can rest on a bad call.  And funnily enough, the vast majority of these 'bad calls' fall in favour of the 'big' clubs.

Who knows, if we had (a functioning) VAR at the time we might well have won a trophy in 2010.  I know I walked out the stadium disgusted at the refereeing on that day.

That's still happening though, in fact if anything it's worse, it's giving them a chance to make sure they didn't miss an opportunity to be cheating, biased bastards.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2600 on: September 08, 2022, 04:20:30 PM »

That's still happening though, in fact if anything it's worse, it's giving them a chance to make sure they didn't miss an opportunity to be cheating, biased bastards.
<a functioning>

Offline LeeB

« Reply #2601 on: September 08, 2022, 04:26:07 PM »

<a functioning>

Mate, they'd have pulled the play back and given a free kick because the ball hadn't gone forward from kick off, or a throw in where the foot was over the line a few minutes back.

See Bruno Fernandes penalty for stamping on Konsa, given by VAR, or Olly Watkins getting a 2nd yellow for being fouled by the keeper, or Ings goal in the cup etc.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2602 on: September 08, 2022, 04:44:27 PM »

<a functioning>

Mate, they'd have pulled the play back and given a free kick because the ball hadn't gone forward from kick off, or a throw in where the foot was over the line a few minutes back.

See Bruno Fernandes penalty for stamping on Konsa, given by VAR, or Olly Watkins getting a 2nd yellow for being fouled by the keeper, or Ings goal in the cup etc.
The fact you are so jaundiced by all this is exactly why we need a proper working VAR system, not a reason to chuck it out because the idiots haven't figured out how to implement it yet.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2603 on: September 08, 2022, 04:49:37 PM »
The technology is here to stay, as in most sports. The EPL / Refs Association need to get off their high horse and accept that they need to change the way it's applied and who applies it.
Arrogance and fixed mindsets are getting in the way of using it positively and usefully.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2604 on: September 09, 2022, 11:37:47 PM »

That is a genius way of putting it.

CSI Witton!

Offline wince

« Reply #2605 on: September 10, 2022, 10:34:35 PM »
African VAR reverser. That would be the new technology to change VAR decisions. I’m bored. No villa game to idle away time at work...

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #2606 on: September 14, 2022, 12:59:34 PM »
I don't watch Champions League so don't know how well this works, but seems we'll have it from next season.

'Premier League set to adopt semi-automated offsides next season':

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e9fb9250-3293-11ed-838f-27529d647dcb?shareToken=c9270fa4613316e20f8cf59d41429186

Online Simon Page

« Reply #2607 on: September 14, 2022, 05:52:18 PM »
I'm just looking forward to a time when we play games in the metaverse.

And it's Avatar Villa... we're by far the greatest meme, the world...

Offline LeeB

« Reply #2608 on: September 15, 2022, 08:44:02 AM »
I'm just looking forward to a time when we play games in the metaverse.

And it's Avatar Villa... we're by far the greatest meme, the world...

You're gonna get your f**king Jpeg kicked in

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2609 on: September 15, 2022, 08:44:59 AM »
I don't watch Champions League so don't know how well this works, but seems we'll have it from next season.

'Premier League set to adopt semi-automated offsides next season':

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e9fb9250-3293-11ed-838f-27529d647dcb?shareToken=c9270fa4613316e20f8cf59d41429186
qucker and more accurate.  I can't see why anybody would be against correctly called offside decisions being given.  The ref will still need to input in terms of impacting play etc.  This is a good step for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal