collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 351608 times)

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #2355 on: January 13, 2022, 09:50:49 AM »
FWIW, I only saw the last half-hour so cannot comment on what went before but, on the Kane penalty incident, as we know he was through to a one-on-one with the 'keeper and from the referee's position it looked a certain penalty and remember he only gives what he sees, it's only afterwards when VAR intercedes to inform him he's in error.

Where the criticism arises IMO, is the linesman who, is supposed to be as near as possible level with the last defender, had he been so he would have had a much clearer view of the incident and as a matter of course drew the referee's attention to it.  Notwithstanding the relatively poorer standard of refereeing we have at the moment, it's still all too easy to blame them for an honest mistake.  VAR served its purpose on that one, it's the linesman who should be called into question.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2356 on: January 13, 2022, 09:52:42 AM »
At least the referee didn't finish the match after 85 minutes.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2357 on: January 13, 2022, 10:33:54 AM »
FWIW, I only saw the last half-hour so cannot comment on what went before but, on the Kane penalty incident, as we know he was through to a one-on-one with the 'keeper and from the referee's position it looked a certain penalty and remember he only gives what he sees, it's only afterwards when VAR intercedes to inform him he's in error.

Where the criticism arises IMO, is the linesman who, is supposed to be as near as possible level with the last defender, had he been so he would have had a much clearer view of the incident and as a matter of course drew the referee's attention to it.  Notwithstanding the relatively poorer standard of refereeing we have at the moment, it's still all too easy to blame them for an honest mistake.  VAR served its purpose on that one, it's the linesman who should be called into question.

Dave, with your experience do you not think the very existence of VAR is leading to the officials not getting involved anymore, because they don't want to look like fools when the camera looks again but also knowing that the camera will do the work for them?

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2358 on: January 13, 2022, 11:54:55 AM »
Do linesmen even give penalties anymore?  I can't remember the last time I was one signal for a spot-kick..

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2359 on: January 13, 2022, 12:19:22 PM »
The Spurs Chelsea game last night is exactly why we need VAR

There's a long way to go in getting the implementation right, but incompetence like that should not be allowed to stand.
SB makes a very valid point regarding this just before you posted. Those penalties were such poor decisions by the onfield the ref var had an easy tap in to get involved and make themselves look good. Fortunate timing for them after they were universally ridiculed for ruling out our equaliser at OT.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2360 on: January 13, 2022, 12:22:08 PM »
Do linesmen even give penalties anymore?  I can't remember the last time I was one signal for a spot-kick..
I don't think they do I can't remember the last time I saw a linesman put his flag across his chest. The linesman did flag for a foul in Spurs first penalty incident before the ref decided to award the pen.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2361 on: January 13, 2022, 12:40:20 PM »
The Spurs Chelsea game last night is exactly why we need VAR

There's a long way to go in getting the implementation right, but incompetence like that should not be allowed to stand.
SB makes a very valid point regarding this just before you posted. Those penalties were such poor decisions by the onfield the ref var had an easy tap in to get involved and make themselves look good. Fortunate timing for them after they were universally ridiculed for ruling out our equaliser at OT.
But that is why it's there.  One thing I can guarantee you is the onfield ref didn't deliverately make 3 shit decisions so they could make VAR look good.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2362 on: January 13, 2022, 12:57:16 PM »

Dave, with your experience do you not think the very existence of VAR is leading to the officials not getting involved anymore, because they don't want to look like fools when the camera looks again but also knowing that the camera will do the work for them?

I do Lee, I think it's now all too easy to delegate the responsibility to someone else.  I also think human nature enters into it.  None of us are going to stick our heads above the parapet to get it shot off as is exactly what will and is happening.

The officials are miced up and I don't know who else other than them can hear any conversation going on but if it is just the four of them then there should be no fear in alerting the referee to the fact that he may have been in error, the referee can then call in VAR if he's unsure.

We also don't know what instructions the referee has given to his linesmen prior to kick-off.  I can only relate to my own experience of receiving and giving instructions and basically you do what you are asked to do.  It isn't really a new observation but football is now, more so than ever, a blame game.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #2363 on: January 13, 2022, 02:01:30 PM »
VAR should be a good addition to our game. Unfortunately the way it's managed is shockingly inconsistent. And that's the problem.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #2364 on: January 13, 2022, 03:02:56 PM »
VAR should be a good addition to our game. Unfortunately the way it's managed is shockingly inconsistent. And that's the problem.

Decision needs to be more transparent ie discussions should be broadcast so all their thinking is exposed.
They shouldn't be allowed to hide away from criticism of their decision making processes.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2365 on: January 13, 2022, 03:14:46 PM »

Totally with you regarding the linesman not doing his job.  Even if he was a yard behind the play he should have spotted that it wasn't a penalty.  With the presence of VAR is there really any need for linesmen?  Awarding throw ins and corners correctly to keep the flow of the game going would be the only reason but as we see most weekends they can get that wrong too.

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #2366 on: January 14, 2022, 11:23:47 AM »
I don't think they do I can't remember the last time I saw a linesman put his flag across his chest.
I don't think that is the signal for a penalty anymore. It changed a few years ago for some reason.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2367 on: January 14, 2022, 08:50:45 PM »
Unless it changes from its current guise VAR needs to go. It’s not delivering on its premise. At all.

Offline j66acd

« Reply #2368 on: January 14, 2022, 08:52:12 PM »
Although it has just got two decisions spot on in the Brighton/Palace game.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2369 on: January 14, 2022, 09:05:44 PM »
Rugby does it so much better. The ref ask the TMO specific incidents they want to look at and then goes through a series of sequential questions to make their assessment.  All of this can heard (on TV, not sure about at the ground) so there is a transparent application of the rules.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal