collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 352077 times)

Offline Duncan Shaw

Re: VAR
« Reply #2070 on: August 12, 2021, 10:00:16 AM »
Said this before on another thread, the powers that be have stated that this season referees will take the same attitude to players going down as those in the Euros. In other words those who fall over at the slightest touch will just see the ref waving at them to get up. We can only hope that this interpretation is enforced consistently across every match.

We should probably be generally affected then, much as I love Deano and what he has done for us, there is no doubt in my mind that he coaches his players to go down easily - it's not just Grealish.  His Brentford team used to do it and so do we to an extent, so we will have to find a way round that maybe?

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2071 on: August 12, 2021, 12:33:52 PM »
I think if introduced it would be a great step forward but it still won't stop some people on here and other forum's sagging they still got it wrong.   ;)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2072 on: August 21, 2021, 11:25:31 PM »
Went in our favour today, twice, but why can't they just ditch the sodding offside lines?! Two or three teams have suffered from that today.

If they need to draw silly lines on a replay then it's not a clear and obvious error.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2073 on: August 21, 2021, 11:29:22 PM »
Gotta be honest, I couldnt tell Wilson was offside for the pen. Compare it to the one Fernandes was given the benefit of the doubt for Man Utd last week and the new rule its already looking a bit hit and miss.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #2074 on: August 21, 2021, 11:42:07 PM »
Gotta be honest, I couldnt tell Wilson was offside for the pen. Compare it to the one Fernandes was given the benefit of the doubt for Man Utd last week and the new rule its already looking a bit hit and miss.

No one could tell Wilson was offside. VAR was brought in to get rid of the clangers. That wasn't a clanger.

I'm glad it went the way it did today obviously but you just know we'll be on the other end of one of those decisions before long and it'll piss me off no end.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2075 on: August 22, 2021, 12:23:58 AM »
Yeah we'd be fuming if that offside went against us. Our pen I think could have gone either way.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #2076 on: August 22, 2021, 07:31:28 AM »
It was a strange one, 2 big game changing decisions made by var but in real time I didn't see any player or fan appeal for either.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #2077 on: August 22, 2021, 09:05:06 AM »
I think I have entered a parallel universe where Villa fans sing 'there's only 1 Kevin Friend' and 'VAR my Lord'  ;D

Offline frank black

« Reply #2078 on: August 22, 2021, 09:19:35 AM »
Went in our favour today, twice, but why can't they just ditch the sodding offside lines?! Two or three teams have suffered from that today.

If they need to draw silly lines on a replay then it's not a clear and obvious error.

This confuses me. If we ditched the lines then how do they evidence the VAR decisions? Players are either off or on when the balls played, you can’t introduce some sort of discretion as that’s the same as having no VAR at all (which I’d prefer). They’ve made em thicker and until there’s real-time technology that’s as good as we are going to get. We’d all be moaning about it even more if a goal was given when the opponent was 6/7 inches off side. Where do you draw the line?

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #2079 on: August 22, 2021, 09:25:53 AM »
It was diabolical they didnt ahve a pen in my eyes. We would be going mental if that happened to us.

Martinez got away with one there. Hopefully he will learn on that. He looks a lil rusty but im sure he will.be unbelievable when he is up to speed again

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2080 on: August 22, 2021, 09:48:38 AM »
The offside wasn't that close, by recent standards, you could certainly tell he was further forward, even wthout the help of the lines.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #2081 on: August 22, 2021, 09:59:09 AM »

This confuses me. If we ditched the lines then how do they evidence the VAR decisions? Players are either off or on when the balls played, you can’t introduce some sort of discretion as that’s the same as having no VAR at all (which I’d prefer). They’ve made em thicker and until there’s real-time technology that’s as good as we are going to get. We’d all be moaning about it even more if a goal was given when the opponent was 6/7 inches off side. Where do you draw the line?

You don't!

The lines give a false sense of accuracy where the technology isn't up to it. VAR is there to correct clear and obvious errors. If there has been a clear and obvious error on an offside decision you don't need lines to show it. If it's too close to tell without the lines then it can't be a clear and obvious error.

It's that simple.

Offline frank black

« Reply #2082 on: August 22, 2021, 10:02:02 AM »

You don't!

The lines give a false sense of accuracy where the technology isn't up to it. VAR is there to correct clear and obvious errors. If there has been a clear and obvious error on an offside decision you don't need lines to show it. If it's too close to tell without the lines then it can't be a clear and obvious error.

It's that simple.

Ok then , you’d freeze the frame and see his foot is clearly off side. It’s that simple

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #2083 on: August 22, 2021, 10:02:32 AM »
Who said it was an error!
Lino might have said at the time "that was close, probably off but let it run, then we can check".

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2084 on: August 22, 2021, 10:09:52 AM »

You don't!

It's that simple.
they do not apply the clear and obvious rule to offside they never have done.
I am not saying that is right, it is just how they how it’s done.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal