collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343834 times)

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #1425 on: October 17, 2020, 11:06:44 PM »
The incompetence of the referee doing the VAR role  in the Merseyside derby just highlighted that the VAR has to be a full time VAR official not just another ref having a day off from running but spending 90 minutes trying to justify the refs decisions.

It is never going to be effective until VAR is independent of the match day refs & actually does what they were sold as ‘to correct clear & obvious errors’

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1426 on: October 17, 2020, 11:23:14 PM »
VAR is doomed and always has been because too many decisions are subjective.

It was said before it's introduction but was drowned out by the wailing of alll and sundry demanding a perfection that cannot be attained. The game is so much worse off for it's introduction but I fear the genie is out of the bottle and will never go back.

Offline Karlos96

« Reply #1427 on: October 18, 2020, 12:16:29 AM »
It was the same referee (Michael Oliver) for our game against Burnley where Wesley got injured.  Two dreadful challenges and no card shown for either.  They should take action against the referee and whoever is doing the VAR it's not good enough there is no point having VAR if they can't take action against a foul like that.  Pickford should be given a retrospective ban as well.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1428 on: October 18, 2020, 12:35:52 AM »
That VAR didn't even check the Pickford challenge, only the offside, is bonkers.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1429 on: October 18, 2020, 12:48:44 AM »
VAR is doomed and always has been because too many decisions are subjective.

It was said before it's introduction but was drowned out by the wailing of alll and sundry demanding a perfection that cannot be attained. The game is so much worse off for it's introduction but I fear the genie is out of the bottle and will never go back.

No one is after perfection, arguing that is why VAR is needed is missing the point. "Clear and obvious error" are the 4 words that should matter but being ignored. The ref not instantlt sending Pickford off today before checking the offside was a clear and obvious error and should've been overturned. Mee last season was a clear error and should've been overturned. You get a handful of those every weekend where the ref gets it wrong (more if you include dives for penalties or clear fouls in the box that are missed). No one gives a fuck about a players left bollock being offside or a ball being kicked into a defenders hand but for some reason those are the decisions they've decided to focus on. That's why it looks shit because it's dealing with the sort of decisions that people didn't mind having some grey area.

As I said earlier, for me those 2 things are a price worth paying to get the horrific decisions out of the game (and hopefully see c**ts like Mee and Pickford get rugby style 3-4month bans for tackles that need to be completely stamped out of the game (to add a personal touch to this that type of tackle is exactly why I'm up to 4 operations on my left knee right now because I was 17 and quick so a fat old twat decided to 'slow me down', c**t even gloated about doing a good job before he realised I was going to need a ambulance).

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1430 on: October 18, 2020, 05:40:45 AM »
The shocking failure to send Pickford off aside, the Liverpool goal being disallowed just demonstrates that when it comes to VAR football is using technology for technology's sake, not to improve the game.

To a man, anyone looking at the reply would've said Mane was level.  It would've barely been a discussion.  No one at home has access to the silly lines they draw and everyone would've been much happier if the goal has stood (just like many others over the past few years).

Instead, they get flawed technology out to show that they're using it and in the process leave everyone feeling flat about the decision because they're removing the whole point of the game, goals.

It's just so unnecessary and idiotic.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1431 on: October 18, 2020, 05:49:47 AM »
In an effort to make the game more entertaining didn’t they change the offside rule a good while back to give the attacking player the benefit of the doubt? What I heard today was preposterous. That Mane’s shirt may have been literally millimetres in an offside position. His fucking shirt that the wind might have blown into an offside position. Seriously fuck off with this.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #1432 on: October 18, 2020, 06:08:03 AM »
Yep, they did.  But in the eyes of the FA there's no doubt anymore because of VAR.  Despite the obvious limits of the technology.

It's utter nonsense.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #1433 on: October 18, 2020, 07:09:21 AM »
Goal line technology...... excellent. It's exact (when the machine is working  :D).

VAR..... subjective and wrong as often as the officials were

Go back to real time, on field decisions involving 'intent' and whether 'advantage gained'.

Some decisions will go for and some against but trying to rule out the rub of the green is ruining football.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1434 on: October 18, 2020, 07:34:40 AM »
The rule of offside always has and will always be contentious until the technology is 99.99% accurate. If we are going to stick with the Level rule then technology and the most accurate technology is required. I think we have to get away from the “he looked level to me” argument. I know that the technology as it isn’t completely accurate but it is more accurate than “he looked level to me”.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #1435 on: October 18, 2020, 07:56:57 AM »
It really isn't. It's been proven that its no more accurate than "he looked level to me".

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1436 on: October 18, 2020, 08:09:13 AM »
How is it possible to prove that? Technology as it is with its lines is measurable, a distance figure of possible infringement is attained. “He looks level to me” Linesman, spectator or tv analyst is just an opinion based on varying eyesight with no figure of measurement. Therefore impossible to prove.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #1437 on: October 18, 2020, 08:18:20 AM »
How is it possible to prove that? Technology as it is with its lines is measurable, a distance figure of possible infringement is attained. “He looks level to me” Linesman, spectator or tv analyst is just an opinion based on varying eyesight with no figure of measurement. Therefore impossible to prove.

https://www.givemesport.com/1498162-there-are-flaws-in-var-that-mean-not-every-offside-decision-will-be-correct

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1438 on: October 18, 2020, 08:32:31 AM »
Seems to me that var ignores one vital part of the offside rule. The "when the ball is played" part. If your going to give offsides for fractions then you have to know the precise moment when the ball leaves contact with the passing players foot. And that's impossible to tell using current technology. So again it's back to guesswork.
#Ad@m posted (above) just as I was writing my comment but it goes along with what I'm saying so I'm leaving it in!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:40:58 AM by The Edge »

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #1439 on: October 18, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »
Seems to me that var ignores one vital part of the offside rule. The "when the ball is played" part. If your going to give offsides for fractions then you have to know the precise moment when the ball leaves contact with the passing players foot. And that's impossible to tell using current technology. So again it's back to guesswork.
#Ad@m posted (above) just as I was writing my comment but it goes along with what I'm saying so I'm leaving it in!

Agree with this.
Also the words common sense are completely missing from those utilising VAR or making new rules around it (e.g. the handball rule).
Would any supporter of any club really be distraught if a VAR replay showed in retrospect that a goal given against their team, had an attacking opponent with their left elbow ahead of the defence. I think most people would say, don’t be stupid it’s a goal. I think Burnley fans last season were saying similar things about a Grealish disallowed goal, when Wesley walking away from active play had his heel deemed offside.

Those creating the rules around VAR are trying to create black and white decisions where there are sometimes shades of grey and in doing so forgetting about the spirit of the game and are in danger of disenfranchising supporters.
It was a terrible decision to disallow the goal yesterday and no one really gloats cuz it’s Liverpool, as we all know it’ll come our way at some point this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal