collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Season Tickets 2019/20  (Read 169422 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Season Tickets 2019/20
« Reply #360 on: June 23, 2019, 09:12:28 PM »
An extra 10,000 is a hell of a lot of people. Where are they all coming from? Pretty sure we didn't sell out every match last time we were in the Premier League, we should probably aim to do that for a couple of seasons before building massive extensions.

So you leave the North as it is until demand is constantly there to go for the big increase. It is a total waste of time and money to knock it down and add a few thousand seats which some are suggesting and imo is a pretty bonkers way to waste millions.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #361 on: June 23, 2019, 09:17:56 PM »
I’d rather the money was invested in the squad for the next 3 or 4 seasons, then if we are progressing expand the ground.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #362 on: June 23, 2019, 09:35:57 PM »
Why would you compare us to utter irrelevances like Walsall or Coventry as a reason not to increase capacity?

And we're not going to be averaging mid-30s. We'll be selling out, every week.

Strike while the iron is hot. Dont add 3,000 seats, add 10,000. Grow every facet and act like the big club we self evidently are, but seldom perform as.

They're as valid as comparing us with Arsenal. The same things that are being said now were being said last time we got a 40k average, and look what happened after that. Let's see if we can fill what we've got first, before getting above ourselves.

Yes, we missed out on millions of revenue over the past 10 years, as we'd have filled the ground, even in the 2nd division on occasions.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #363 on: June 23, 2019, 09:46:25 PM »
Why would you compare us to utter irrelevances like Walsall or Coventry as a reason not to increase capacity?

Strike while the iron is hot. Dont add 3,000 seats, add 10,000. Grow every facet and act like the big club we self evidently are, but seldom perform as.

They're as valid as comparing us with Arsenal. The same things that are being said now were being said last time we got a 40k average, and look what happened after that. Let's see if we can fill what we've got first, before getting above ourselves.

How about West Ham Dave?  They now average way more than we do and I think they have a waiting list for season tickets.

Football is booming.  We somehow have to find a way to increase our gates just as others have done.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #364 on: June 23, 2019, 09:53:03 PM »

How about West Ham Dave?  They now average way more than we do and I think they have a waiting list for season tickets.

Football is booming.  We somehow have to find a way to increase our gates just as others have done.

West Ham are in London, playing in one of the world's most iconic stadiums. Ask their supporters what they think of it.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #365 on: June 23, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
An extra 10,000 is a hell of a lot of people. Where are they all coming from? Pretty sure we didn't sell out every match last time we were in the Premier League, we should probably aim to do that for a couple of seasons before building massive extensions.

Where did 58,000 West Ham fans come from?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #366 on: June 23, 2019, 10:02:07 PM »
Create the product and they will come, see City, Arsenal, Spurs, and others, Sunderland even. If, as it looks like we have mega rich owners, there maybe no ceiling to what we could become.

Manchester City found themselves being offered a new ground that would look ridiculous now if they hadn't got these owners. Spurs and Arsenal spent years selling out their grounds before they moved. Sunderland give do many tickets away their gates are irrelevant. For every Leicester and Southampton with bigger crowds there's a Coventry or Walsall whose ground move has done them no good at all.

If we can pull in 40k, or close to it, midweek against a mid-table team then expand but until then a new North Stand adding a couple of thousand to capacity and giving more corporate income should be enough.

So we should base our capacity on a scenario that might apply once a season?

We will average over 40,000 next season. We don't want to be turning people away, if kids can't get to games they'll just end up supporting teams that are on telly all the time.

The past is irrevelant. How many times would West Ham or Spurs have filled a 50,000 capacity stadium regularly in the last forty years?

We can, and will, fill a bigger stadium.

And there is absolutely no point in tearing down a stand at great expense to replace it with one that only increases our potential income by a tiny amount.

The North Stand is rubbish, aesthetically, anyway, and the Witton Lane Stand is not fit for purpose in terms of its facilities.

Get them rebuilt.

We won't start playing like a big club on the pitch if we don't start acting like one off (and around) it.
I started this debate when i suggested a rebuild of the North stand to bring our capacity up to 50  thousand. Everything you said in this post completely sums up my point.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:05:04 PM by The Edge »

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #367 on: June 23, 2019, 10:03:53 PM »

What Dave just said. I'm just wondering where this idea comes from that there are enough match-going Villa fans out there to fill a 50,000 plus stadium any time soon. I don't think we've sold out every game in the thirty-odd years I've been a fan. I don't think there's ever been a season ticket waiting list. I'm all for expansion and thinking big, but only when it's based on something tangible and there's an obvious need for it. I don't see how that's controversial given our painful recent history of throwing money down the pan.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #368 on: June 23, 2019, 10:09:06 PM »
There's a season ticket waiting list now..

We have a choice:

(a) Expand the ground, accept that it might not he full every single game.

or

(b) Don't expand it and have disappointed fans unable to get tickets on a regular basis, costing Villa money at the same time.

I prefer (a).

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #369 on: June 23, 2019, 10:09:19 PM »
It's not like we're going to knock it down tomorrow, we've the best part of a year to judge what demand is, and what it's likely to be.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #370 on: June 23, 2019, 10:11:38 PM »
It's alright to say stick an extra eight/ten thousand seats in and they'll be filled, but apart from the obvious how? (because we're still looking at a thirty per cent rise in gates at least to prevent the project from looking daft) there's also the question of where they're going to go.

You're not going to be able to double the capacity of the North Stand because there isn't that much room there - in fact, a new stand even holding the same number as now would take up a lot more space than the present one because we'd have to allow a lot more legroom and corporate facilities. Then there's the additional parking that would be needed. It all adds up to much more than build it and (hope) they'll come.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #371 on: June 23, 2019, 10:13:10 PM »
We moan for years that we don't think and act like a big club that's going places and instead have a corner shop mentality, and then when we (the fans) talk about the club doing that, we're thinking too big.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #372 on: June 23, 2019, 10:17:17 PM »
We moan for years that we don't think and act like a big club that's going places and instead have a corner shop mentality, and then when we (the fans) talk about the club doing that, we're thinking too big.

Absolutely. There is, to paraphrase a horrible bastatd, some beans on toast Doug Ellis thinking going on.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #373 on: June 23, 2019, 10:17:31 PM »
It's alright to say stick an extra eight/ten thousand seats in and they'll be filled, but apart from the obvious how? (because we're still looking at a thirty per cent rise in gates at least to prevent the project from looking daft) there's also the question of where they're going to go.

You're not going to be able to double the capacity of the North Stand because there isn't that much room there - in fact, a new stand even holding the same number as now would take up a lot more space than the present one because we'd have to allow a lot more legroom and corporate facilities. Then there's the additional parking that would be needed. It all adds up to much more than build it and (hope) they'll come.

I thought we already had planning permission to develop/replace the North Stand and its disgracefully renamed neighbour going back to when Ellis was in charge. So that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #374 on: June 23, 2019, 10:17:46 PM »

What Dave just said. I'm just wondering where this idea comes from that there are enough match-going Villa fans out there to fill a 50,000 plus stadium any time soon. I don't think we've sold out every game in the thirty-odd years I've been a fan. I don't think there's ever been a season ticket waiting list. I'm all for expansion and thinking big, but only when it's based on something tangible and there's an obvious need for it. I don't see how that's controversial given our painful recent history of throwing money down the pan.
I counter your point with Barcelona. Over 100,000 seats.They don't fill the Nou Camp  every game but they can and do fill it when the occasion suits. No one ever questions why the ground is half full when they play bang average teams. That huge stadium is iconic and it defines them as the worlds No 1 football club. Im not suggesting we can compete with them but i am suggesting that we can and should  start to think big. I absolutely believe that we are capable of becoming  one of Englands top clubs. Our history proves this. In fact our heritage demands it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal