collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909703 times)

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #5865 on: August 08, 2019, 10:38:26 PM »
is Bony washed up?

Yes, looked a million times worse than Kodjia in the African Cup of Nations, for the Ivory Coast.

Offline nigel

« Reply #5866 on: August 08, 2019, 10:49:00 PM »
I guess that we've done ground work on two or three players this window in preparation for January so there'll be no messing around early in the window.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #5867 on: August 08, 2019, 10:54:18 PM »
Amazing and really quite shocking that we couldn’t move on a single one of our many outgoing players for actual money.

Just shows what an absolute shower of shit we’ve been bringing in the last few seasons

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5868 on: August 08, 2019, 11:04:16 PM »
There's probably only a few we would have wanted to sell.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5869 on: August 08, 2019, 11:34:41 PM »
I'd definitely sign Hause, Mings and El Ghazi, probably £10-12m for the lot is a bargain. Tammy would probably be a bit expensive (and may well not be available anyway given the transfer embargo at Chelsea) and whilst I like Tuanzebe I'm not convinced he's fit enough to play regularly at that level.

Other than that I trust Smith to sign the sort of players I'd want (Guilbert looks the part from what I've seen) and I'd hope he doesn't go mental, 3-4 first team players and 2-3 to develop for a few months is about the most we should be going for this summer because signing 10-12 players and trying to almost create a new team just doesn't work.

Went to the firdt page by mistake. But couldn't resist digging this one out.

Paul e, was signing 10 -12 players a mistake?

Well i meant on top of the 3 loanees so we've actually signed 9 new players. I think that's pretty much the top limit, which is why I've not been that bothered about getting another striker (but Ben Yedder would've changed my mind on that). Aside from that look at the number of references to 'doing a Fulham' or people saying that we'll need time for the team to gel, lots of people can see that getting us working like a unit is the big challenge for Smith. What he's done well is sigh people with connections to help them settle in and feel part of the squad quickly. I'm optimistic that will have helped and I also didn't expect to have a big chunk of our signings done before we were back in training.

Aside from that I wrote that comment when we didn't know what league we were going to be in or what the budget would be. Signing this number of players whilst in the championship and having to stick to FFP would've been impossible without Lambert style punts, which is what I really wanted to avoid.

He's right though: £10-12M for Hause, Mings and El Ghazi would have been a bargain.

I've talked about this before, that was based on Hause being the £2-3m that was in his clause, El Ghazi being released on a free (which was the story in the press at the time) and Mings making up the difference because I didn't see the point in having a clause in the loan deal that didn't have some sort of value (i.e. if no one else is interested then he's £xm) but that clearly wasn't the case so the clause was meaningless. I'll hold my hand up and admit I was wrong on that and that I think we were fleeced on him because that wasn't in the clause, there's no chance they'd have put a future fee of more than £7-8m in if we'd agreed it in January because no one expected him to perform to the level he did.

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #5870 on: August 08, 2019, 11:42:54 PM »
The problem and a lot of the hold up in Jan was the fact that Bournemouth wouldn't accept a future fee going into the deal.

Worked out perfectly for them, I bet Wolves were gutted hause only got them a couple of million in the end.

Online paul_e

« Reply #5871 on: August 08, 2019, 11:44:39 PM »
So, that's our players pretty much confirmed.

Leaves us with the squad below, we need to choose twenty-five of whom at least eight must be "Home Grown". Players aged 21 or under as of 1st January 2019 don't count against the 25 so we can field as many of those as we like.

* = Home Grown
** = under-21

GOALKEEPERS
Heaton*
Steer*
Kalinic
Nyland

DEFENDERS
Guilbert
Elmohamady
Bree*
Konsa*
Engels
Mings*
Chester*
Hause*
Taylor*
Targett*

MIDFIELDERS
McGinn
Douglas Luiz**
Makamba
Lansbury*
Hourihane*
Grealish*
O'Hare**
Tshibola*

WINGERS
Trezeguet
El Ghazi
Jota

FORWARDS
Wesley
Kodjia
Davis**

29 players total, five can be discounted from the quota as under-21. Eleven "Home Grown" players so no problem there.

So yeah, basically fine. Even if Tshibola and a goalkeeper leave, as I expect. We can bring in another player in the next transfer window and up to three unless we are planning on keeping Tshibola and four goalkeepers, which seems a tad excessive.

That was a bit of a pointless exercise but killed a few work minutes as I count down to fucking off time.

This isn't quite right, Konsa and Bree aren't U21 by the rules (U21 have to be born on or after 01/01/1998 for this season) so only O'Hare, Douglas and Davis don't need to be registered.

Online paul_e

« Reply #5872 on: August 08, 2019, 11:48:12 PM »
The problem and a lot of the hold up in Jan was the fact that Bournemouth wouldn't accept a future fee going into the deal.

Worked out perfectly for them, I bet Wolves were gutted hause only got them a couple of million in the end.

but wasn't the rumoured future fee we wanted something like £4-5m. I seem to recall the comments at the time saying that they at least wanted their money back. Remember we were negotiating with half an eye on still being in the championship this year so we'd have needed to keep the cost down to be able to go ahead and sign him, £8-10m would've been too much on a centre half if we still down there.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #5873 on: August 08, 2019, 11:48:17 PM »
There's probably only a few we would have wanted to sell.

We’d have wanted to sell all of them rather than give them away wouldn’t we?

Offline TustinCAFan

« Reply #5874 on: August 08, 2019, 11:49:43 PM »
Amazing and really quite shocking that we couldn’t move on a single one of our many outgoing players for actual money.

Just shows what an absolute shower of shit we’ve been bringing in the last few seasons

It's not just the sh&t quality, but ultimately it's hard to sell highly paid aging players.  We just waited to have their contracts to end.  Our strategy is clearly changing in a good way by hiring and retaining younger potential stars.

Online paul_e

« Reply #5875 on: August 08, 2019, 11:52:53 PM »

It's not just the sh&t quality, but ultimately it's hard to sell highly paid aging players.  We just waited to have their contracts to end.  Our strategy is clearly changing in a good way by hiring and retaining younger potential stars.

Yep, wages and ages more than ability. Someone like Bjarnason but 24-25 would have had plenty of offers.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #5876 on: August 08, 2019, 11:58:15 PM »

It's the wages , likes of Lansbury and Hogan are championship level players on Prem League Money ..Hogan I expect we will just keep loaning untill we pay him off or his contract runs out

Offline jwarry

« Reply #5877 on: August 09, 2019, 10:02:11 AM »

It's the wages , likes of Lansbury and Hogan are championship level players on Prem League Money ..Hogan I expect we will just keep loaning untill we pay him off or his contract runs out

And the consequence is that we ended up being the biggest net spenders by far, (see below) almost double the next spender! The good news is that pretty much everyone we have bought will now have resale value

Offline jwarry

« Reply #5878 on: August 09, 2019, 10:05:13 AM »
Not quite sure how Norwich managed to bring in 7 players and actually save money, but in The Times I trust

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5879 on: August 09, 2019, 11:26:05 AM »
that chart ? Manure received under 60 million . I thought Slab head was £80 mill

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal