collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Pat McMahon
[Today at 09:47:43 PM]

NSWE Investment by paul_e
[Today at 09:46:42 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:46:37 PM]

Ollie Watkins by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:45:04 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 09:39:47 PM]

FFP by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 09:25:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:17:46 PM]

Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:16:27 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 915251 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #5790 on: August 08, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »
The certainty that some have that Davis and Kodjia will be of no use next season has no firm basis and is unfair. Davis is a young kid who has generally shown himself to have a decent attitude on the pitch, he looks like a handful and a good team player. He will only get better. If he'd gone out on loan and we'd have got someone in i would have been fine with it, but i'm also not too worried about him staying and being an understudy to Wesley. If someone else had come in for big money and hardly played they would probably have been unsettled anyway.
In addition we also have Kodjia who is still in his peak, he looked every bit a player that could play in the PL in his first season with us and then he got injured. He hasn't returned to his best yet but he was played out of position for the most part last season and it takes some players a while to come back fully, look at Fabian Delph.
It is possible that they could both look out of place at this level but they won't begin the season as starters anyway, the window opens again in January so it's not the end of the world. The point is that no one can know for sure as neither have had the chance to try till now.
Agree with your first paragraph, but I don't see Kodjia as a Premier League player.
I think Smith sees our attacking line-up being a combination of Wes as link-man and - at times - playing without a recognised striker; using our midfielders and wingers in more forward roles.

I dont know for certain that Kodja or Davis wont be any good in the premier league, its an opinion. Interesting that Kodja has never played in the top division, until his first appearance. Just as you dont know for certainty that they will be good enough, again your opinion, this is what these forums are for. What I do know is that I hope you are right, and I am badly wrong

I'm not saying with any certainty they will be good enough, but i can't understand why anyone can say with certainty that they won't if you consider the points i mentioned. I could understand it if talking about someone who's always been crap for us like Hogan, or even Lansbury for that matter.

Offline KRS

« Reply #5791 on: August 08, 2019, 04:30:32 PM »
Did that cheesy pun infested twat Gary Cotterill really just do that Drinkwater gag?! 🙈

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #5792 on: August 08, 2019, 04:32:26 PM »
Has Bree gone to mature at Luton?

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #5793 on: August 08, 2019, 04:34:26 PM »
Has Bree gone to mature at Luton?

😂😂😂

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #5794 on: August 08, 2019, 04:34:38 PM »
Any chance we can get any dosh for the outgoing players rather than giving them away?! Can BB have been on such big wages that we couldn't sell or even loan him somewhere?

Who knows, guess he was, we did pay big wages. I agree its odd but there you go...

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5795 on: August 08, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
He was on approx £25k a week apparently, not a massive amount but he's got no resale value after this window with his contract being up next year so maybe both just decided it was best for both him and the club to go now rather than spend the season hardly playing.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5796 on: August 08, 2019, 04:44:49 PM »
So, that's our players pretty much confirmed.

Leaves us with the squad below, we need to choose twenty-five of whom at least eight must be "Home Grown". Players aged 21 or under as of 1st January 2019 don't count against the 25 so we can field as many of those as we like.

* = Home Grown
** = under-21

GOALKEEPERS
Heaton*
Steer*
Kalinic
Nyland

DEFENDERS
Guilbert
Elmohamady
Bree**
Konsa**
Engels
Mings*
Chester*
Hause*
Taylor*
Targett*

MIDFIELDERS
McGinn
Douglas Luiz**
Makamba
Lansbury*
Hourihane*
Grealish*
O'Hare**
Tshibola*

WINGERS
Trezeguet
El Ghazi
Jota

FORWARDS
Wesley
Kodjia
Davis**

29 players total, five can be discounted from the quota as under-21. Eleven "Home Grown" players so no problem there.

So yeah, basically fine. Even if Tshibola and a goalkeeper leave, as I expect. We can bring in another player in the next transfer window and up to three unless we are planning on keeping Tshibola and four goalkeepers, which seems a tad excessive.

That was a bit of a pointless exercise but killed a few work minutes as I count down to fucking off time.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:47:20 PM by cdbullyweefan »

« Reply #5797 on: August 08, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »
The certainty that some have that Davis and Kodjia will be of no use next season has no firm basis and is unfair. Davis is a young kid who has generally shown himself to have a decent attitude on the pitch, he looks like a handful and a good team player. He will only get better. If he'd gone out on loan and we'd have got someone in i would have been fine with it, but i'm also not too worried about him staying and being an understudy to Wesley. If someone else had come in for big money and hardly played they would probably have been unsettled anyway.
In addition we also have Kodjia who is still in his peak, he looked every bit a player that could play in the PL in his first season with us and then he got injured. He hasn't returned to his best yet but he was played out of position for the most part last season and it takes some players a while to come back fully, look at Fabian Delph.
It is possible that they could both look out of place at this level but they won't begin the season as starters anyway, the window opens again in January so it's not the end of the world. The point is that no one can know for sure as neither have had the chance to try till now.
Agree with your first paragraph, but I don't see Kodjia as a Premier League player.
I think Smith sees our attacking line-up being a combination of Wes as link-man and - at times - playing without a recognised striker; using our midfielders and wingers in more forward roles.

I dont know for certain that Kodja or Davis wont be any good in the premier league, its an opinion. Interesting that Kodja has never played in the top division, until his first appearance. Just as you dont know for certainty that they will be good enough, again your opinion, this is what these forums are for. What I do know is that I hope you are right, and I am badly wrong

I'm not saying with any certainty they will be good enough, but i can't understand why anyone can say with certainty that they won't if you consider the points i mentioned. I could understand it if talking about someone who's always been crap for us like Hogan, or even Lansbury for that matter.

I get that and understand completely what you are saying. Personally I would have been happy, not that I am sad, if another striker had come in who had more experience either in the premier league or a competitive european league, even if it was a loan, and I dont mean Charlie Austin! Easy for me sat at my keyboard saying this but if I was to be concerned it would be in this area. Anyway I really hope I am being a drama queen / king. Got to get this terminology correct.  ;)

« Reply #5798 on: August 08, 2019, 04:46:33 PM »
He was on approx £25k a week apparently, not a massive amount but he's got no resale value after this window with his contract being up next year so maybe both just decided it was best for both him and the club to go now rather than spend the season hardly playing.

Ok thanks

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #5799 on: August 08, 2019, 04:58:18 PM »
Still plenty of time to ship Tish out to a League 1 team or back to Scotland.

Also, I expect one of the keepers to go abroad

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #5800 on: August 08, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »
Birkir Bjarnsson has left. Mutual termination according to official twitter.

Toon bound, would be my prediction.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #5801 on: August 08, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »
Belotti didn't happen then.

richtheholtender

« Reply #5802 on: August 08, 2019, 05:03:28 PM »
So, that's our players pretty much confirmed.

Leaves us with the squad below, we need to choose twenty-five of whom at least eight must be "Home Grown". Players aged 21 or under as of 1st January 2019 don't count against the 25 so we can field as many of those as we like.

* = Home Grown
** = under-21

GOALKEEPERS
Heaton*
Steer*
Kalinic
Nyland

DEFENDERS
Guilbert
Elmohamady
Bree**
Konsa**
Engels
Mings*
Chester*
Hause*
Taylor*
Targett*

MIDFIELDERS
McGinn
Douglas Luiz**
Makamba
Lansbury*
Hourihane*
Grealish*
O'Hare**
Tshibola*

WINGERS
Trezeguet
El Ghazi
Jota

FORWARDS
Wesley
Kodjia
Davis**

29 players total, five can be discounted from the quota as under-21. Eleven "Home Grown" players so no problem there.

So yeah, basically fine. Even if Tshibola and a goalkeeper leave, as I expect. We can bring in another player in the next transfer window and up to three unless we are planning on keeping Tshibola and four goalkeepers, which seems a tad excessive.

That was a bit of a pointless exercise but killed a few work minutes as I count down to fucking off time.

If the worst does happen we can always put Mings as an emergency striker.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #5803 on: August 08, 2019, 05:06:59 PM »
Transfer window closed, except for any deals still ongoing (two hours to finalise any deals after window has closed).
So we go with what we've got,till January.

Offline p_ad

« Reply #5804 on: August 08, 2019, 05:07:22 PM »
Boooo! no extra striker Deano out. ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal