collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Clampy
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 920166 times)

Offline KRS

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #5775 on: August 08, 2019, 03:37:28 PM »
I don’t think signing Konsa for £12 million and leaving the frontline so short was a particularly good idea.

It wasn't an either/or.
Pretty sure Konsa will be an excellent signing for us for many years to come. Can’t fault any of our transfer business this summer even if we are a bit light up front.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #5776 on: August 08, 2019, 03:40:10 PM »
The certainty that some have that Davis and Kodjia will be of no use next season has no firm basis and is unfair. Davis is a young kid who has generally shown himself to have a decent attitude on the pitch, he looks like a handful and a good team player. He will only get better. If he'd gone out on loan and we'd have got someone in i would have been fine with it, but i'm also not too worried about him staying and being an understudy to Wesley. If someone else had come in for big money and hardly played they would probably have been unsettled anyway.
In addition we also have Kodjia who is still in his peak, he looked every bit a player that could play in the PL in his first season with us and then he got injured. He hasn't returned to his best yet but he was played out of position for the most part last season and it takes some players a while to come back fully, look at Fabian Delph.
It is possible that they could both look out of place at this level but they won't begin the season as starters anyway, the window opens again in January so it's not the end of the world. The point is that no one can know for sure as neither have had the chance to try till now.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #5777 on: August 08, 2019, 03:45:20 PM »
The certainty that some have that Davis and Kodjia will be of no use next season has no firm basis and is unfair. Davis is a young kid who has generally shown himself to have a decent attitude on the pitch, he looks like a handful and a good team player. He will only get better. If he'd gone out on loan and we'd have got someone in i would have been fine with it, but i'm also not too worried about him staying and being an understudy to Wesley. If someone else had come in for big money and hardly played they would probably have been unsettled anyway.
In addition we also have Kodjia who is still in his peak, he looked every bit a player that could play in the PL in his first season with us and then he got injured. He hasn't returned to his best yet but he was played out of position for the most part last season and it takes some players a while to come back fully, look at Fabian Delph.
It is possible that they could both look out of place at this level but they won't begin the season as starters anyway, the window opens again in January so it's not the end of the world. The point is that no one can know for sure as neither have had the chance to try till now.
Agree with your first paragraph, but I don't see Kodjia as a Premier League player.
I think Smith sees our attacking line-up being a combination of Wes as link-man and - at times - playing without a recognised striker; using our midfielders and wingers in more forward roles.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #5778 on: August 08, 2019, 03:46:38 PM »
I don’t think signing Konsa for £12 million and leaving the frontline so short was a particularly good idea.

It wasn't an either/or.
Pretty sure Konsa will be an excellent signing for us for many years to come. Can’t fault any of our transfer business this summer even if we are a bit light up front.

There are goals all over the team so I'm not stressing. Yet.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #5779 on: August 08, 2019, 03:48:30 PM »
Dean Smith was canny enough to bring in players on loan last year with a view to a permanent move - not seen that yet have we this window?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #5780 on: August 08, 2019, 03:53:00 PM »
Dean Smith was canny enough to bring in players on loan last year with a view to a permanent move - not seen that yet have we this window?

On the other hand training our own youngsters up like Davis rather than Chelsea's or Man Yoo's or anyone elses is surely a good thing. I hope with the infrastructure and money we now have at the club we've seen the last of that unless there is an extremely good reason which can only be a major benefit to us.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #5781 on: August 08, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »
But has said no more business less than 2 hours ago.

Offline nuninho

« Reply #5782 on: August 08, 2019, 04:08:49 PM »
Birkir Bjarnsson has left. Mutual termination according to official twitter.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #5783 on: August 08, 2019, 04:13:49 PM »
Agree with your first paragraph, but I don't see Kodjia as a Premier League player.
I think Smith sees our attacking line-up being a combination of Wes as link-man and - at times - playing without a recognised striker; using our midfielders and wingers in more forward roles.

I dont know for certain that Kodja or Davis wont be any good in the premier league, its an opinion. Interesting that Kodja has never played in the top division, until his first appearance. Just as you dont know for certainty that they will be good enough, again your opinion, this is what these forums are for. What I do know is that I hope you are right, and I am badly wrong

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #5784 on: August 08, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
I trust the management. We will be OK. I have a feeling Trezeguet can be played as a CF also BTW. If we need to do it.

Online Baldy

« Reply #5785 on: August 08, 2019, 04:23:57 PM »
Will be a nightmare for opposition defences if we play without an orthodox striker. Their centre half's wont know whether to 'stick or twist'. Then they get hit by the 'charge of the light brigade'. I love it, I just love it.  ;)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5786 on: August 08, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »
Any chance we can get any dosh for the outgoing players rather than giving them away?! Can BB have been on such big wages that we couldn't sell or even loan him somewhere?

Offline KRS

« Reply #5787 on: August 08, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
Unfortunately that’s the problem with buying crap players on high wages.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #5788 on: August 08, 2019, 04:28:07 PM »
Yep - but we might be able to get a few bob for one of our 30 or so goalkeepers before the European window closes.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #5789 on: August 08, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »
Did anyone mention Scott Carson to City on loan for a year?  :o

Is there some English player requirement they need to satisfy?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal