collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leeds United 1-1 Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 57318 times)

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

Re: Leeds United 1-1 Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #375 on: April 29, 2019, 07:50:39 PM »
Isn't Roofe supposed to be even worse and is currently injured? They could struggle against Derby if Bamford is suspended, and Roofe returning from injury.

If they struggle against Ipswich first, they won’t be playing Derby in the semi, they’ll be playing us!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #376 on: April 29, 2019, 07:57:11 PM »
I thought a rule was bought in some years ago that the Ref was the only one who could stop the game in the event of an injury?
Either way I was pretty miffed when Conor put it out 'cos we were in an attacking position and they wellied it back to Steer. It was the act of feigning to put the ball out that lead to all this shit, nothing else and all these know it all's parroting "play to the whistle" would all have stopped as well.

The ref is the only one who can stop the play, but obviously if he hasn't, then the opposing team can kick the ball out for a throw in, after which normal etiquette is to punt it back to the goalie.  I would normally wholly endorse playing to the whistle, but yesterday the problem occurred because it looked like they had stopped play and were going to knock it out for a throw in, before actually playing a man in when our defenders were standing around. 

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #377 on: April 29, 2019, 07:58:49 PM »
I thought a rule was bought in some years ago that the Ref was the only one who could stop the game in the event of an injury?
Either way I was pretty miffed when Conor put it out 'cos we were in an attacking position and they wellied it back to Steer. It was the act of feigning to put the ball out that lead to all this shit, nothing else and all these know it all's parroting "play to the whistle" would all have stopped as well.

No, anyone could stop the game by kicking it out of touch. They brought in the ref to stop it for serious injuries as before then it could only be stopped by the ball going out of play. They do for serious or head injuries due to some very close calls etc in the past.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #378 on: April 29, 2019, 08:02:21 PM »
Isn't Roofe supposed to be even worse and is currently injured? They could struggle against Derby if Bamford is suspended, and Roofe returning from injury.

If they struggle against Ipswich first, they won’t be playing Derby in the semi, they’ll be playing us!

Even if the entire Leeds squad are suspended, or they go to Norwich by mistake, they’ll still beat Paul Lambert’s Ipswich.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #379 on: April 29, 2019, 09:55:50 PM »
Regarding the Hourihane 'punch', I can't see that as a punch, more like a shove. He was booked for his original reaction.
Bamford was booked for dragging El Ghazi by the throat, he wasn't booked for feigning injury. If he was then El Ghazi would not have been sent off. had Hourihane by the throat.

I see Noel Whelan & Danny Murphy think Hourihane is a disgrace but don't mention Bamford. Murphy is a cnut.

I tend to agree with a lot that Danny Murphy says. He is very blunt but it usually makes sense as opposed to a Robbie Savage style attention seeking rant. As for Noel Whelan, one of the best football books I have read is 'Staying Up- A Fan Behind The Scenes' by Rick Gekoski following a season at Coventry in the late nineties and Noel Whelan comes across as a dopey twat.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #380 on: April 29, 2019, 10:03:17 PM »
New footage has emerged on the assault on Bamford yesterday

https://twitter.com/samdixon013/status/1122865083556749319?s=12

Offline Damo70

« Reply #381 on: April 29, 2019, 10:15:52 PM »

Personally I don't think he feigned putting the ball out. My take on it was that he was originally going to put the ball out and then changed his mind and chose to play on.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #382 on: April 29, 2019, 10:24:36 PM »
I agree with you Damo.  In my head he had actually set to play it out but when you watch it it simply looks that way and perhaps he hears a shout from Klich but something changes his might - maybe instruction from his own bench and he plays the pass.  Either way, the effect is the same

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #383 on: April 29, 2019, 11:19:01 PM »

Personally I don't think he feigned putting the ball out. My take on it was that he was originally going to put the ball out and then changed his mind and chose to play on.

Yep he was gonna put it out till he saw his team mate beating the offside trap.

He’s the gentleman ******.

Offline cdward

« Reply #384 on: April 29, 2019, 11:59:10 PM »
Looking at it again, the player who receives the ball before passing it to Klich, makes a hand gesture as he receives the ball as if to acknowledge that our player is down, he then slows to a walking pace and makes the hand gesture again to the Villa players near to him, to again acknowledge he will be putting it out. Excaept he then passes it down the line.
Giving him the benefit of doubt, maybe he was intending to pass it further up field for Klich to put it out.
Anyway it's all done now, and Jannson is a prick, IIRC didn't he put Grealish out of the game in our first season in this league.

Online KRS

« Reply #385 on: April 30, 2019, 12:04:09 AM »

I can't see Leeds losing to Ipswich and Baggies beating Derby...so barring some kind of divine intervention, I can't see Leeds not finishing 3rd.

Online KRS

« Reply #386 on: April 30, 2019, 12:08:53 AM »

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #387 on: April 30, 2019, 12:15:49 AM »
Bamford is shit . Him getting banned will probably help them.

Mings bullied him but he is far from crap. Technically he is very accomplished. Some quality goals this season with Leeds since coming back from injury.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #388 on: April 30, 2019, 12:26:01 AM »

The ref is the only one who can stop the play, but obviously if he hasn't, then the opposing team can kick the ball out for a throw in, after which normal etiquette is to punt it back to the goalie.  I would normally wholly endorse playing to the whistle, but yesterday the problem occurred because it looked like they had stopped play and were going to knock it out for a throw in, before actually playing a man in when our defenders were standing around. 

Risso, what was the reaction of the Leeds fans around you? Were they just chuffed at the goal or were there some misgivings?

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #389 on: April 30, 2019, 09:51:24 AM »

Even if the entire Leeds squad are suspended, or they go to Norwich by mistake, they’ll still beat Paul Lambert’s Ipswich.

Fair point, well made.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal