collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 09:19:37 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:14:01 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:54:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 08:52:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leeds United 1-1 Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 57295 times)

Offline Dazvillain

Re: Leeds United 1-1 Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2019, 08:53:41 AM »
This game was just the latest chapter in possibly the weirdest 12 months in our history.

Financially well and truly fucked, cabbage, losing to Burton fucking Albion, missing a penalty and it resulting in something positive, 5-5, 3 down with ten to go, Hutton turning into Messi for 30 seconds, Jack's assault, 10 in a row, looking like conceding a goal every time the opposition got the ball and that includes them having a goal kick, twice going a couple of months with relegation form and yet are favourites to win the play-offs.
I’ll buy the book or dvd.....cue messers wood hall and Bishop !?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2019, 09:30:15 AM »
In the talk of the not stopping play thing, the thing that sticks in my craw is the ****** who picked up the ball on the wing, slowed down as if to knock it into touch, causing everyone else to do so, only to spot their guy in acres of space and play it to him instead.

It wasn't purely the failure to stop play as a team, it was that particular piece of shit-housery which annoyed me most.

Offline ironmaidenmania

« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2019, 09:32:22 AM »
Can't see this mentioned. I'm deaf and lip read. The linesman clearly says to the ref that number 22 had pulled off two players and thrown them to the floor. That's what he said, nothing about elbowing Bamford. When you watch he doesn't do that so no idea what he thinks he saw. However, having missed that their goal scorer was at least a yard offside it's not totally surprising.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2019, 09:39:56 AM »
So know that we have introduced the "Villa Rule" - does this mean that every time a player goes down injured (or pretending to be) that we have to put the ball out of play?

Looking forward to see what happens against the Albion, when we are attacking and one of their players hits the floor, hopefully we will put the ball out of play, because that is what is now expected of us, lets hope that it does not cost us a chance to get to the play off final.

I assumed that the ref was in charge of the game, my old football club manager (at a good level as well) would have gone mad "you play to the refs whistle"

It's not the Villa rule but it's called sportsmanship we kicked it out for one of there players and you would feel in an ideal world your opponent would do the same I understand you play to the refs whistle which is what should happen but but as sportsmen you would think they would repay the compliment.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2019, 09:40:04 AM »
In the talk of the not stopping play thing, the thing that sticks in my craw is the c*** who picked up the ball on the wing, slowed down as if to knock it into touch, causing everyone else to do so, only to spot their guy in acres of space and play it to him instead.

It wasn't purely the failure to stop play as a team, it was that particular piece of shit-housery which annoyed me most.

If they had played to the whistle then fair enough. But they didn’t

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2019, 09:58:55 AM »
If Leeds had carried on playing at full pelt, showed no signs of kicking the ball out and then our players had still stopped playing then we'd have had no arguments. It was the fact that Roberts slowed right down, causing our players to stop as it looked to everyone watching that he was going to knock the ball out of play.

Saw some people saying Leeds won and they beat us if it wasn't for them giving us the goal. What they're failing to realise is they wouldn't have scored if our players hadn't stopped. They didn't look like scoring all afternoon and if anything we looked more dangerous on the counter attack.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2019, 10:11:50 AM »
Having calmed down, Villa set the tone by kicking the ball out for Cooper to get treatment as he looked to be in pain when he clashed with Green.  Therefore, whilst, yes, you should always play to the whistle, Leeds owed us one and should have kicked the ball out too when Kodjia went down heavily.

Bamford is a cheat.  We were magnificent in defence today.  Even Taylor, who I struggle to find any positive about, played well.  Going forward, Abraham offers much more that Jimmy.  At least we don't have to go back to Elland Road again if we make the Final.  Those of you saying that Dean picked the wrong side today and should have rested players, sorry, but I strongly disagree.
Hourihane started, by kicking the ball out in the first half, when we were in a good attacking position on the right.
Which was daft, it’s down to the ref to stop play.
Once the players start deciding, you see what happens;mayhem.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #307 on: April 29, 2019, 10:23:44 AM »
It's amazing how the media are portraying Bielsa as some sort of sainted figure who's upheld the integrity of the game when it was clear from what I saw he was persuaded by Smith and Terry to allow us to walk the ball in, and looked extremely agitated to be doing so.
I don't agree with putting the ball out of play at all really, but the facts have also been overlooked by the media, as usual.
Hourihane earlier put the ball out when their player was injured, he even got stick from the Villa fans for doing so.
Then, when Kodija was clearly injured, their player slowed down and indicated he was going to put the ball out, and all our players stopped.
Then he speeds up and plays it to their bloke who, like a twat, carries on and puts the ball in the net.
Dirty Leeds I'm afraid, nothing surprises me with them, all of their players, coached by the saint Bielsa, were leaving a bit on all our players, particularly Grealish, and this is how they play. Can't stand the dirty cheating bastards.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
Then, when Kodija was clearly injured,

I don't think he was

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2019, 10:36:34 AM »

I don't think he was

He was down. But personally I don’t think play should have stopped just because he was. Was it against Stoke we scored when one of their players was down? Only the ref should stop play.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2019, 10:43:21 AM »

I don't think he was

He was, that's why he went off injured.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »
I have been asking myself why the Leeds player looked as though he was going to play the ball out and then didn’t - were there instructions from the dugout to play on? On refelection did then Beilsa overrule his coaching staff or perhaps himself when he had a few mad moments to reflect?
I am sure we will be fined for not keeping our players under control- though there is no consistency around this as I can’t remember any action taken against Brentford when players surrounded the referee after the Hourihane penalty call at VP.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #312 on: April 29, 2019, 11:18:06 AM »
Can't see this mentioned. I'm deaf and lip read. The linesman clearly says to the ref that number 22 had pulled off two players and thrown them to the floor. That's what he said, nothing about elbowing Bamford. When you watch he doesn't do that so no idea what he thinks he saw. However, having missed that their goal scorer was at least a yard offside it's not totally surprising.

I'm wondering whether it was mistaken identity and he'd seen Hourihane?

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #313 on: April 29, 2019, 11:37:02 AM »
What yesterday’s shenanigans proves is that the whole ‘knocking the ball out’ thing has got completely out of control.
The thought that there is some sort of ‘code’ amongst players that they look after each other in the event of an injury is complete bollocks when you consider how snide or downright reckless many of them are when challenging for the ball.

How many 100’s  time across a season has the ball been knocked out only for the ‘injured’ player to be up and running  within seconds?
More to the point, how many times has it been knocked out when there really is a serious injury that the ref or linesman haven’t seen and stopped the game anyway?

Leeds should have knocked it our yesterday, but ONLY because we had done it a few minutes earlier.

In future the rule for everyone should be play to the whistle and don’t expect anything in return if you don’t.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #314 on: April 29, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »
Whilst we are sorting video evidence to sort out El Ghazi , we may have another issue as reports starting to gather pace re HOURIHANE punching a player as he and jack approached him

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal