collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 05:08:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 05:07:30 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Proposition Joe
[Today at 05:06:06 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by SteveN
[Today at 05:05:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 05:05:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 05:04:35 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 05:04:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 05:03:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leeds United 1-1 Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 57269 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Leeds United 1-1 Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »

Offline Legion

« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »

Offline Legion

« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2019, 03:10:11 PM »

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »
Granted we did it and they didn't, but this thing about kicking the ball out of play when an opponent is on the floor is a nonsense.  I'm watching the Burnley v Man City game on TV now, and Chris Wood for Burnley was put clean through as the result of a move with a City player lying 'injured' on the floor.  Burnley just played on, and there not a single City player complained.
Agreed. I think that if the boot had been on the other foot we’d have been grumbling. Ref should have given the goal offside though

Online ez

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2019, 03:11:40 PM »
Did sky say any about him being offside or not?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2019, 03:14:06 PM »
I don't buy this about Bielsa doing the honourable thing, I think he had little choice.
He did though.  Leeds hadn't broke any official rules so he could have just shrugged.  He chose to do the decent thing.
Call me an old cynic but he realised it was a pointless game and seized the chance to restore his reputation. At a stroke he wiped ‘spygate’ off the slate and gained a good sportsman image
You're an old cynic.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2019, 03:14:55 PM »
Booing Jack for going down when clobbered by their thugs - at least he's used to it after playing Blues and Albion.  Christ knows what they'll be like in the actual play-offs.

Their thuggish challenges apart, my main concern today was how Bielsa managed to neutralise Jack today, having him man-marked. It worked a treat and I hope it's not something Albion decide to copy.

Defensively we were excellent, the midfield put in a shift but I saw little threat from Kodja, Green or El Ghazi. That's a big worry. Finally, today once again proved nobody gets to bully us, no matter how hard they try.
True but Hourihane looked a lot better thanks to the space they gave him, and McGinn was excellent again. Alos, the tactic of having Tuanzebe and Mings bring the ball out of defence was aided by their focus on Grealish.
With Abraham, I think we would have scored well before the goals-debacle.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2019, 03:16:40 PM »
I don't buy this about Bielsa doing the honourable thing, I think he had little choice.
He did though.  Leeds hadn't broke any official rules so he could have just shrugged.  He chose to do the decent thing.
Call me an old cynic but he realised it was a pointless game and seized the chance to restore his reputation. At a stroke he wiped ‘spygate’ off the slate and gained a good sportsman image
You're an old cynic.
Thanks Hilts   ;D

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2019, 03:19:17 PM »
Granted we did it and they didn't, but this thing about kicking the ball out of play when an opponent is on the floor is a nonsense.  I'm watching the Burnley v Man City game on TV now, and Chris Wood for Burnley was put clean through as the result of a move with a City player lying 'injured' on the floor.  Burnley just played on, and there not a single City player complained.   

The point is, and I’m not arguing it was deliberate deception, they stopped playing as if putting it out, then didn’t. If that had been done deliberately (I don’t think it was pre-meditated) it would be exceptionally unsporting. If they’d have just played on as normal (like it sounds in that match) we might not have liked it but that would have been more acceptable. The villa players & bench kicked off as they were deceived.

It looks like we chose Taylor to get his first ‘pro’ goal (3 Wrexham were National League) but Jansson forced Albert to make sure of it.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2019, 03:21:39 PM »

I think it was the fact that Leeds acted as if they were about to put the ball out of play and then carried on that was the problem.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2019, 03:24:09 PM »

I think it was the fact that Leeds acted as if they were about to put the ball out of play and then carried on that was the problem.

110% this UTV

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2019, 03:25:34 PM »
I wonder if things would have been different if anything was actually riding on the game

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2019, 03:27:19 PM »
Did bookies suspend betting after the Leeds goal?

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2019, 03:27:58 PM »

The point is, and I’m not arguing it was deliberate deception, they stopped playing as if putting it out, then didn’t. If that had been done deliberately (I don’t think it was pre-meditated) it would be exceptionally unsporting. If they’d have just played on as normal (like it sounds in that match) we might not have liked it but that would have been more acceptable. The villa players & bench kicked off as they were deceived.

I'm not so sure.  It looked to me as if the play had slowed down because Villa players near the action had become centred on the need (as they saw it) for Leeds to put the ball out of play, which they had no obligation to do.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2019, 03:28:50 PM »
Did bookies suspend betting after the Leeds goal?

Guessing so.

If they didn't  then a "next team to score" bet would have been quite profitable!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal