collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship clubs meet in Nottingham over demands to see financial statements  (Read 4406 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
A bitter dispute between Championship clubs looks set to escalate as demands to see the financial statements of Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Aston Villa intensify, Sky Sports News has learned.

A majority of Championship clubs, led by Middlesbrough owner Steve Gibson, will meet at Nottingham Forest's City Ground on Wednesday to vote on a change in EFL rules - one which would allow clubs the chance to study each other's accounts.

Gibson believes the league's profitability and sustainability (P&S) rules, formerly known as Financial Fair Play, may have been broken by the three clubs - and he is demanding greater transparency.

Wednesday's meeting is expected to be a fiery affair and, if 18 of the 24 vote for change, EFL rules could be changed within seven days, allowing all P&S statements to be shared.

Sky Sports News understands that both Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday are lobbying hard to keep the rules unchanged.

Clubs unable to attend the meeting have been asked by the EFL to vote by proxy.

Sky Sports News understands it is unlikely that any new breaches of regulations which are uncovered would lead to points deductions in this campaign.

Brought in two years ago, the P&S rules state that clubs cannot lose more than £39m over a three-year period, and a breach could lead to potential sanctions including transfer bans and points deductions.

Last month Birmingham became the first to fall foul of the rules and were deducted nine points, seeing them drop five places to 18th in the league. They recorded total losses of £48.8m from 2015-16 to 2017-18, nearly £10m more than the £39m limit.

All other Championship clubs, up to March 2018, have been adjudged by the EFL to have adhered to their regulations.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11702197/championship-clubs-meet-in-nottingham-over-demands-to-see-financial-statements

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Someone needs to tell Steve Gibson that it's his own fault for employing Tiny Penis.

What are they going to do? Angrilly shake their fists at us?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Seems odd that EFL rules can be up for change based on the views of so few clubs.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
Weird that when Boro were sitting in 5th and 15 points above us, this didnt seem to be an issue then.................................

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Have we got anything to hide?

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
It's an odd thing to let clubs view each others accounts, surely the EFL are the arbiters of FFP and whether it has been breached? They should be the only ones carrying out any scrutiny.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
They can log on to Companies House to see our audited accounts, the same as everybody else can.  Anything over and above that would be giving commercially sensitive information to a direct rival, and they can get to fuck.

Offline kippaxvilla2

We have either repeatedly told or been repeatedly told that we have not breached the P&S limits.  At least up until the end of March this year.  Any breach uncovered with the latest set of numbers and forecast year end end numbers will be dealt with by the EFL in the summer window - eg if we have now breached we will be subject to punishment.  I don't see what is so difficult to understand about this.  If he is crying foul because we have better accountants then that is a different matter to which the answer is 'tough shit.'

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
They can log on to Companies House to see our audited accounts, the same as everybody else can.  Anything over and above that would be giving commercially sensitive information to a direct rival, and they can get to fuck.

I'm in complete agreement with what you've said here, Risso.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Unless he is successful in creating a US style sports franchise regime ( no f***ing chance) then the idea that Clubs would be forced to share non statutory Financial Information is ludicrous.
 Hard luck Steve.

Offline Damo70

I think I have a couple of VHS Ben Dover videos, a Fiesta Readers Wives Special and a Jive Bunny CD somewhere.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024

I think I have a couple of VHS Ben Dover videos, a Fiesta Readers Wives Special and a Jive Bunny CD somewhere.

A Jive Bunny CD? That's shameful!

Offline Towser

• GM : 09.06.2024
Voted against it according to twatter

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
I'd take him more seriously if he hadn't bankrolled success himself and if (as mentioned) he wasn't spouting all this as Boro are on the slide.

I used to quite like him compared to other club owners (yes, very faint praise) but between this and all the southgate is too nice for the game stuff he comes across as a bitter, sanctimonious twerp.

Offline Damo70

I'd take him more seriously if he hadn't bankrolled success himself and if (as mentioned) he wasn't spouting all this as Boro are on the slide.

I used to quite like him compared to other club owners (yes, very faint praise) but between this and all the southgate is too nice for the game stuff he comes across as a bitter, sanctimonious twerp.

You are right. He built a new ground and brought in the likes of Juninho, Ravenelli, Emerson, Branco. Even when they went down he went out and bought Merson from Arsenal. Now he has decided to tighten his belt and not throw so much money at his club in recent years he wants everyone else to do the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal