collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Billy McNeill RIP  (Read 7007 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Billy McNeill RIP
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2019, 09:59:08 AM »
Just another bloke who's died.

Really? On the day he died?

True. Sorry was insensitive.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2019, 10:07:10 AM »
It is only recently he had any competition as the worst Villa manager of all time, and I still think he wins it.

Good player in his day.

His qualities and achievements as a player and a captain made him rather more than a 'good player in his day.'

Yep, I think only 4 British players have won more honours than him - including 9 championships in a row and the European Cup. Puts him in the legendary status for me

I'm going to guess Dalglish got more as he won loads with Celtic AND Liverpool, plus Giggs and Scholes who were at Man U for ages and won everything. Maybe Gary Neville as well? Or Alan Hansen?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2019, 10:59:21 AM »
Giggs
Dalglish
Scholes
Lennox
then McNeill

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2019, 11:10:35 AM »
Sad news hearing the death of Billy McNeill .Was not a great time while being manager of Villa but was a great player and always came across as a decent bloke R I P Billy

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2019, 12:25:11 PM »
Obviously didn't have a happy time at Villa.

However it says a lot about the respect he was held in when there are 430+ posts on a Rangers forum (Follow Follow which is normally full of anti-Celtic vitriol) and pretty much all are extremely respectful and many saying there should be a minute's silence before their game.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
RIP Billy. And thoughts with his family.

But my goodness what a crap Villa team he oversaw!

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2019, 02:15:00 PM »
He was brought to us by Doug Ellis and acrimoniously left Man City to save us from the drop, but both were relegated!
He had a thankless task, taking over from the hopeless Graham Turner, and memories of the awful side he inherited and losing at home to Sheffield Wednesday which sealed our fate, are as painful as remembering SHodge. When Sir Graham toojk over he described the place as 'a shambles'.
Great player, poor manager in England, but swept the board of course in Scotland.
RIP Billy Bingo.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2019, 03:07:12 PM »

However it says a lot about the respect he was held in when there are 430+ posts on a Rangers forum (Follow Follow which is normally full of anti-Celtic vitriol) and pretty much all are extremely respectful and many saying there should be a minute's silence before their game.
no TV

I've had a quick shuffle through that thread and yes, almost to a man/woman nothing but the utmost respect.  What came across to me was the amount of them that respectfully referred to him as Sir when offering their condolences.  Fair play to those Rangers fans, and that's something I didn't think I'd ever write, just goes to show.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2019, 04:12:03 PM »

no TV

I've had a quick shuffle through that thread and yes, almost to a man/woman nothing but the utmost respect.  What came across to me was the amount of them that respectfully referred to him as Sir when offering their condolences.  Fair play to those Rangers fans, and that's something I didn't think I'd ever write, just goes to show.

no TV

He was a Protestant from a military family. They love that.

I haven't read the Rangers forum because I never would but I apologise if I've misrepresented the savage, knuckle-headed shower of total C-words.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2019, 04:23:11 PM »

He was a Protestant

Half of the Lisbon Lions were. And Jock Stein

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »

He was a Protestant

Being a Protestant has never been a problem at Celtic despite what some might say

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2019, 07:20:57 PM »

He was a Protestant

Being a Protestant has never been a problem at Celtic despite what some might say

It was famously an advantage under Stein.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal