collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jacob Ramsey  (Read 276501 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Jacob Ramsey
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2021, 11:06:07 PM »
I don't think people are writing him off - he's getting some great experience - if now's the time to play younger players, then he's rightfully getting a run out. He's been no worse than Luiz at the moment.

I hope he kicks on and these experiences help him out, but his second half display was a lot worse than anything Luiz has done.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »
I may be wrong, but I think he was quite a regular goal scorer in our underage teams, and I think a goal in the premiership will give him the confidence,to display his undoubted talent, Keinan isn’t in the same league.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »
I'm really not sure what to make of him.
The game seems to pass him by in my opinion.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2021, 03:49:31 PM »
At this stage he's shown to be developing at this but nothing  outstanding. No play which makes him stand out and say wow he's impressive and he's still only 19. However Ramsey can go on and improve as there are some signs of his ability.
I think he's being part used politically to demonstrate a pathway to the first team even

Interesting how Smith never considered to name check Andre Green when claiming academy to 1st team path way has only been Grealish to Ramsey and 5 years since academy player came through. Though Andre never got the minutes and time for one reason or another and way Smith talks about Ramsey he considers him some player to be a first team squad member for many years to come

Of those who are 19 and same age as Ramsey but show stand out qualities
Bukayo Sakha
Billy Gilmour
Curtis Jones
Hudson-Odoi
Gabriel Martinelli
Tariq Lamptey

They have demonstrated better abilities and are the same age and way ahead of him in terms of quality and development.

So it's how we want to measure Ramsey as at the moment he's just a tidy footballer who is getting his chance but the discussion would be is he taking that chance ?

Offline achilles

« Reply #379 on: May 17, 2021, 06:58:17 PM »
At this stage he's shown to be developing at this but nothing  outstanding. No play which makes him stand out and say wow he's impressive and he's still only 19. However Ramsey can go on and improve as there are some signs of his ability.
I think he's being part used politically to demonstrate a pathway to the first team even

So it's how we want to measure Ramsey as at the moment he's just a tidy footballer who is getting his chance but the discussion would be is he taking that chance ?

I agree with those points but I think it is all about people's expectations:

Will he make a living out of being a professional footballer - definitely
Will he be world class - absolutely not
Will he be good enough for Villa especially in the long term - definitely not
Will he be good enough to play in the PL - maybe for one of the lesser terms like Westwood

So at the moment for where Villa are he is okay and as pointed out above gives hope for the Academy lads which is the main point for his selection.

We have quite a few talented players in the U23 & U18 teams who I think will feature a lot for Villa in the future.

I would like Kaine Kesler given a chance at right back in place of Elmo but without any cover in front of him (if playing Traore)  it is perhaps asking a lot!

Offline danno

« Reply #380 on: May 17, 2021, 07:14:46 PM »
I didn't see our game at the weekend, but had the game on Radio WM. They mentioned a number of times that one positive to take from the game was Ramsey's performance.

Given how they normally talk us down, I had assumed he'd played amazingly well!  ;D

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #381 on: May 17, 2021, 08:30:47 PM »
At the moment he looks like a very consistent 6/10 player.  It’s hard to know which parts of his game will develop to become an occasional 8/10 player.  On the plus side, taking his age and experience into consideration I can see him becoming 7/10 on a regular basis, which would be pretty amazing.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2021, 08:33:46 PM »

I agree with those points but I think it is all about people's expectations:

Will he make a living out of being a professional footballer - definitely
Will he be world class - absolutely not
Will he be good enough for Villa especially in the long term - definitely not
Will he be good enough to play in the PL - maybe for one of the lesser terms like Westwood

So at the moment for where Villa are he is okay and as pointed out above gives hope for the Academy lads which is the main point for his selection.

We have quite a few talented players in the U23 & U18 teams who I think will feature a lot for Villa in the future.

I would like Kaine Kesler given a chance at right back in place of Elmo but without any cover in front of him (if playing Traore)  it is perhaps asking a lot!
Far too early to make judgements on Ramsey's potential.
And, regarding Kesler, I'd keep the pressure off by playing him in front of a right FB (in place of Traore).

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #383 on: May 17, 2021, 09:32:47 PM »
I didn't see our game at the weekend, but had the game on Radio WM. They mentioned a number of times that one positive to take from the game was Ramsey's performance.

Given how they normally talk us down, I had assumed he'd played amazingly well!  ;D

Presumably they didn’t watch the second half. I hope these experiences are of value to him, but he was really poor in the second half on Sunday.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #384 on: August 04, 2021, 02:29:15 PM »
18 premier league appearances last term.
That's exactly half the matches.
Jacob would be looking for more of the same and then some if he's both the model of progression and own development.
It's now backward step if he was loaned out so must be very much part of Smith's plans as squad member.
I think he's only going to get better and was unlucky as well as couple poor misses not to have scored last season.
He's exactly the type of midfielder that offers the energy and pressing as well as runs off the ball that good for the team

Needs to be involved other wise won't develop.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 02:31:47 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #385 on: August 04, 2021, 03:07:28 PM »
He's only young, but I don't think he played expecially well in any game I saw him in last season, and I'm really not sure what bits of the game he's supposed to be good at. He never looks out of place, but he never exactly contributes an awful lot either. Another one who I think would benefit from going out on loan.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #386 on: August 04, 2021, 03:18:05 PM »
Jacob would be looking for more of the same and then some if he's both the model of progression and own development.
It's now backward step if he was loaned out so must be very much part of Smith's plans as squad member.
I think he's only going to get better and was unlucky as well as couple poor misses not to have scored last season.
He's exactly the type of midfielder that offers the energy and pressing as well as runs off the ball that good for the team

Strictly speaking it's exactly 9/19 of the matches, or 47.36842% of them. 

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #387 on: August 04, 2021, 03:48:39 PM »

Strictly speaking it's exactly 9/19 of the matches, or 47.36842% of them.
Quite right I've been confused lately but should know better that it's a 38 game season

Online frank black

« Reply #388 on: August 22, 2021, 11:04:53 AM »
A bump up for this thread. I now see that what others have seen before (I confess I didn’t notice his potential) . I thought he looked good and has certainly filled out a little. Going to be a good player

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #389 on: August 22, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »
He played as though he now feels like he belongs at that level. When every is fit we’re going to have real options in midfield for the first time in years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal