collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jacob Ramsey  (Read 266570 times)

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: Jacob Ramsey
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2020, 09:33:14 AM »
Brilliant though he was , Denis didn't have Sid's range of passing.
[/b]

ha , who did ? !  :D

Online Dick Edwards

« Reply #181 on: September 30, 2020, 09:34:45 AM »
Brilliant though he was , Denis didn't have Sid's range of passing.

And with both feet..

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #182 on: September 30, 2020, 09:41:24 AM »
Those sliding tackles where he'd end standing up with the ball at his feat were magical

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2020, 10:00:32 AM »
The time to send players on loan is the gap between academy under 23 and first team. Players that are in the squad and close to the first team should stay.
Ramsey looks like he is very close , but it seems people would rather watch Muscle Bound Ross. Trundling around the midfield achieving fuck all on a hundred grand a week.

I'm not sold on Barclay, but I don't necessarily agree that players "close to the first team" should stay. Abraham and Mount would likely have contributed to the Chelsea team had they been there during the 2018/19 season. However, their contributions would have been few and far between. It was much more productive for them and, long-term, for Chelsea to send them on loan to Villa and Derby, respectively.

Ramsey will likely be able to contribute to us in the odd cameo roll and maybe even occasionally start. I feel he would benefit far more, though, from playing week in, week out at a competitive level, and coming back to us battle-hardened and ready for our first team.

Only conditions I would impose would be that, firstly, he should go somewhere he is definitely going to play. If he is just going to sit on the bench he may as well do that here. Secondly, he shouldn't be loaned to any of the local obsessive twats. I don’t wish to help any of them out, and our players never come back and do a good job for us afterwards.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:04:38 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #184 on: September 30, 2020, 10:46:45 AM »
I was too young to see Gordon Cowans as a footballer but he's the origin of me becoming a Villa fan at age 7. Gordon was friends with my Grandad and was a regular customer at his shop. My Grandad arranged with him to get me a Villa shirt and a signed football. That led to me becoming a Villa fan when I was on the path to becoming a glory hunting Liverpool fan before then.

I also knew someone who was a youth apprentice at the time Cowans played for us and he had some training sessions alongside him. He said he was as hard as nails and not someone to mess with.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:18:58 AM by OCD »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2020, 11:00:56 AM »
I was to young to see Gordon Cowans as a footballer but he's the origin of me becoming a Villa fan at age 7. Gordon was friends with my Grandad and was a regular customer at his shop. My Grandad arranged with him to get me a Villa shirt and a signed football. That led to me becoming a Villa fan when I was on the path to becoming a glory hunting Liverpool fan before then.
I also knew someone who was a youth apprentice at the time Cowans played for us and he had some training sessions alongside him. He said he was as hard as nails and not someone to mess with.
Criminal that he only got 17 international caps at all levels. At the time - late 70's - early 80's - he and Glenn Hoddle were way ahead of the other candidates for the creative roles in the England side. Instead, the likes of Sammy Lee, Alan Devonshire, Graham Rix, Terry McDermott and Gary Steven were getting games.  Not all those mentioned were like-for-like, but the magic of Cowans and Hoddle combined was never properly tested.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2020, 01:41:57 PM »
The time to send players on loan is the gap between academy under 23 and first team. Players that are in the squad and close to the first team should stay.
Ramsey looks like he is very close , but it seems people would rather watch Muscle Bound Ross. Trundling around the midfield achieving fuck all on a hundred grand a week.

I'm not sold on

I'm not sold on Barclay, but I don't necessarily agree that players "close to the first team" should stay. Abraham and Mount would likely have contributed to the Chelsea team had they been there during the 2018/19 season. However, their contributions would have been few and far between. It was much more productive for them and, long-term, for Chelsea to send them on loan to Villa and Derby, respectively.

Ramsey will likely be able to contribute to us in the odd cameo roll and maybe even occasionally start. I feel he would benefit far more, though, from playing week in, week out at a competitive level, and coming back to us battle-hardened and ready for our first team.

Only conditions I would impose would be that, firstly, he should go somewhere he is definitely going to play. If he is just going to sit on the bench he may as well do that here. Secondly, he shouldn't be loaned to any of the local obsessive twats. I don’t wish to help any of them out, and our players never come back and do a good job for us afterwards.
, but I don't necessarily agree that players "close to the first team" should stay. Abraham and Mount would likely have contributed to the Chelsea team had they been there during the 2018/19 season. However, their contributions would have been few and far between. It was much more productive for them and, long-term, for Chelsea to send them on loan to Villa and Derby, respectively.

I see Barclay has beome the new Ramsay :)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2020, 02:24:54 PM »
Well, at least I know how to do a quote and spell Warsaw properly 😉

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2020, 01:57:03 AM »
Has Hoddle ever commented much on Sid?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2020, 08:54:13 AM »
I don't recall him doing so, but then Glen was / is a bit up himself.
The classic Cowans game was in August 1978, after the Argentine World Cup win. Spurs had just purchased Ardiles and Ricky Villa and faced AV in their first home game of the season. We won 4-1 and Cowans gave Hoddle and Ardiles a masterclass in midfield play.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2020, 10:43:18 AM »
I don't recall him doing so, but then Glen was / is a bit up himself.
The classic Cowans game was in August 1978, after the Argentine World Cup win. Spurs had just purchased Ardiles and Ricky Villa and faced AV in their first home game of the season. We won 4-1 and Cowans gave Hoddle and Ardiles a masterclass in midfield play.

I was at that game with three Spurs supporting friends.  Cowans as you say was masterful and if I remember correctly we  had a few injuries and John Gregory played up front.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »
Those sliding tackles where he'd end standing up with the ball at his feat were magical
i tried to teach myself to do that. 99/100 it would never come off, but the one time you managed it- made you feel pretty good about things!

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2020, 11:57:20 AM »
i tried to teach myself to do that. 99/100 it would never come off, but the one time you managed it- made you feel pretty good about things!

Way above my pay grade, those. Tried one once, nearly lost a knee.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2020, 12:35:00 PM »
Garry Parker was also a tidy exponent that kind of tackle, when he could be arsed to chase someone.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2020, 01:22:08 PM »
I reckon today if Platty moved from his lounge to the kitchen, Cowans would find him with a pass. It was almost telepathic. And although spoon face rarely mentions us he is always positive about Sids contribution to his rise

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal