collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 876907 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #5310 on: August 13, 2022, 08:02:17 AM »
That article looks like it's from the Sun. And that says everything about the author.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #5311 on: August 13, 2022, 08:27:32 AM »
Can the Souness quote be boiled down to “I was interviewing a footballer and he relied”. If you don’t want to hear his opinion don’t ask questions!
What a twat.

Online wince

« Reply #5312 on: August 13, 2022, 08:46:39 AM »
Sourflesh interview is similar to how they talk about Lewis Hamilton being outspoken when other drivers are as outspoken, they only choose the ones who aren’t one of them.

These old dinosaurs go on about others having too much to say but by god they are full of eggy smelling gases.

I hope we keep Mings the merciless as he is a decent bloke and fantastic for us

Online simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #5313 on: August 13, 2022, 09:06:22 AM »
So let me get this right. Sky pundit complains about a bloke invited on to Sky to express his opinion, for … expressing his opinion.

Talk about The Premiership eating itself

I do think there’s a rather insidious underlying theme here as others have said.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #5314 on: August 13, 2022, 09:06:24 AM »
I think it means you're all so saturated in American Culture Wars and the unhealed post 1865 schism, that you're willing to extrapolate an American white supremacist trope and drop it into Souness thoughts. We don't have the same racism the US has. We don't have white supremacist institutions that de facto replaced slavery to ensure the slaveocray remained more or less extant. We didn't have slaves picking cotton on plantations pre 1860s. We didn't/don't have chain gangs doing the same thing in state penitentiaries like Angola (of True Detective s1 fame) or other prisons in the south, with inmates >95% black. We didn't have a post war white supremacist insurgency with the KKK paramilitaries, made up of every elememt of society. We didnt have collusion with the Police and these paramilitaries. We didn't have mainstream culture like Birth of a Nation or Gone With the Wind reinvigorate the myths of the Confederacy. Racism in the UK and Western Europe does not have that same sort of history as it does in the US. England and the UK was not a land built on a Puritan genocide either. They're unique. Our ills are largely xenophobic. Its different, so the language and culture of it is too, you can't ignore history.

I dont want to defend Sourness (that's not a typo). Maybe he did mean what you're thinking. But he comes across to me like a bitter, old twat, who is jealous of the modern player in much of everything he says. His "I was 30 and captain and I couldn't say shit" is telling. He's jealous of the fame and wealth that, let's be honest, less talented players than he was (give the old thug his due) have. He doesn't think Mings is good enough to have the platform he has, because he's not as good as Souness. He also chats shite generally, 7-2 and he's blaming the grass, the massive whopper. He might be a racist, he's definitely a twat. I hope Mings scores a hatrick and celebrates by hiding in the long, lush, turf of Villa Park.

Whether Souness comments were built on racism or not, this is a whole pandoras box Ads. Completely agree that modern America and all its current problems bleed out from its very foundations and beginnings and that racism in this country is different and built on a differing historical perspective. However, i think we need the ability to walk in a black persons shoes before we start assuming racism in this country is one thing or another. Colleague and friend of mine of West Indian heritage, strong, intelligent black women in her late 50s, gets her stuff searched every single time she goes through airport security. Ive stood in a packed train with her back from London, where several people offered to move bags to let me sit down during the course of the journey, not one person offered her a seat, ive seen this with my own eyes. Ive seen middle aged white men at work feel they have the right to talk about her hair and touch her dreadlocks. Ultimately Souness may just be a bitter old Tory twat and theres a lot of truth to what you say, but racism is subtle and mentioning Mings hasnt earned the right to speak or whatever the phrase was makes me feel really uncomfortable.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5315 on: August 13, 2022, 09:11:05 AM »
I think it means you're all so saturated in American Culture Wars and the unhealed post 1865 schism, that you're willing to extrapolate an American white supremacist trope and drop it into Souness thoughts. We don't have the same racism the US has. We don't have white supremacist institutions that de facto replaced slavery to ensure the slaveocray remained more or less extant. We didn't have slaves picking cotton on plantations pre 1860s. We didn't/don't have chain gangs doing the same thing in state penitentiaries like Angola (of True Detective s1 fame) or other prisons in the south, with inmates >95% black. We didn't have a post war white supremacist insurgency with the KKK paramilitaries, made up of every elememt of society. We didnt have collusion with the Police and these paramilitaries. We didn't have mainstream culture like Birth of a Nation or Gone With the Wind reinvigorate the myths of the Confederacy. Racism in the UK and Western Europe does not have that same sort of history as it does in the US. England and the UK was not a land built on a Puritan genocide either. They're unique. Our ills are largely xenophobic. Its different, so the language and culture of it is too, you can't ignore history.

I dont want to defend Sourness (that's not a typo). Maybe he did mean what you're thinking. But he comes across to me like a bitter, old twat, who is jealous of the modern player in much of everything he says. His "I was 30 and captain and I couldn't say shit" is telling. He's jealous of the fame and wealth that, let's be honest, less talented players than he was (give the old thug his due) have. He doesn't think Mings is good enough to have the platform he has, because he's not as good as Souness. He also chats shite generally, 7-2 and he's blaming the grass, the massive whopper. He might be a racist, he's definitely a twat. I hope Mings scores a hatrick and celebrates by hiding in the long, lush, turf of Villa Park.
Well said Ads.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #5316 on: August 13, 2022, 09:39:43 AM »

Well said Ads.

Some interesting points but all a little too sweeping for me in relation to the ex-Rangers man and aspects of the Tory right.

Xenophobia in this part of the world was directed at anybody who wasn't like the establishment, anybody who had a mind of their own, and didn't except their place in the pecking order. We have seen it all too often leading up to, and since, the Brexit vote. Especially, through the centuries, the non-conformists. Puritan massacres did happen in Ireland, in town after town.  And within most of our lifetimes there was collusion of the state's forces with loyalist paramilitaries.

Offline colin69

« Reply #5317 on: August 13, 2022, 10:04:00 AM »
Souness was good at kicking people as a player and was good as manager of Rangers but crap everywhere else, (hope Gerrard is not following the same path).
The blokes a total irrelevance and likes to stir things up, a bit like Roy Keane.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5318 on: August 13, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »
Souness was good at kicking people as a player and was good as manager of Rangers but crap everywhere else, (hope Gerrard is not following the same path).
The blokes a total irrelevance and likes to stir things up, a bit like Roy Keane.

He's still regarded here as the most tactically inept manager ever to coach Benfica. For liable reasons, the less said about his strange transfer dealings the better. I like Roy Keane. Souness is a twat. Probably a racist twat at that.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #5319 on: August 13, 2022, 11:10:12 AM »
Souness has a lot to say as well and it's usually a load of crap. Remember his cutting edge journalism about the long grass at Villa Park when we thrashed Liverpool 7-2.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #5320 on: August 13, 2022, 12:58:50 PM »
Souness's Liverpool were winning titles when a fat beer monster like Jan Molby could waddle around the pitch and dominate.

The game has moved on from those halcyon days. Something Souness seems to struggle with.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #5321 on: August 13, 2022, 01:11:34 PM »
That sort of petty criticism (I mean Lukaku did murder him in both games, but shush) would irritate the life out of me and get me extra motivated.

How would you ‘pin’ stuff up on the dressing room wall these days?
iPad attached to locker door?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5322 on: August 13, 2022, 02:35:57 PM »
Bloody well done Tyrone.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5323 on: August 13, 2022, 02:37:06 PM »
Did well for a bottom half defender.

Offline ozzjim