collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 886887 times)

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #4965 on: August 06, 2022, 11:51:28 AM »
Footy where is your evidence of any character issues? Mings may make mistakes on the pitch but I've never seen anyone question his attitude or approach. Gerrard has said himself that he had a good conversation about it.

Its well-known a new manager enters and makes a statement to establish his authority over a team and squad.
Managers will frequently target staff and players in order to make a point to the team and remind them who is in charge.
Different frequencies of that for different managers and for situations they find themselves in.

Classic football psychology and in wider field of other industries.  Politics.

That’s a hypothesis but where is your evidence that this has/is happening at Villa?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4966 on: August 06, 2022, 11:55:28 AM »
There is no evidence. Unless Gerrard is mates with Priti Patel maybe?

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #4967 on: August 06, 2022, 12:10:24 PM »
Gerrard isn't a manager who is other than footy intelligence that's ok if that's what we have to have then as long as the frustrated ex player doesn't come out and he can influence the players in a positive and helpful way they good in Gerrard
Just notice an ego there due to his status in the game.
This is Aston Villa not Steven Gerrards Aston villa.
Anyway let's be optimistic for everything . Will see how season plays out
Good wishes to the us all in supporting and that.

Up the Villa

Offline KRS

« Reply #4968 on: August 06, 2022, 02:25:36 PM »
We finally get competition for places and a squad with strength in depth. All of a sudden that is deemed as being “personal” when one of our higher profile players loses the captaincy and loses his starting place in the team. Well…welcome to football, and the decisions managers at other clubs have had to make on a regular basis.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #4969 on: August 06, 2022, 02:46:19 PM »
In my opinion, we have Diego Carlos/Mings fighting it out for the LCB position and Konsa/Chambers for the RCB position.

I think Gerrard has got the LCB position correct. I like Mings - When he's on his game, he's formidable, but the inpromptu brain farts let him down. This might give him the wake up call he needs, without the added limelight of being captain.

I'm more surprised with Konsa over Chambers - Was a bit non-plussed when we signed Chambers, but EVERY time I've seen him, he looks decent, and has only got better each time he plays.

Happy with the line-up in general. If Bournemouth 'do a Fulham' and we're under the cosh first half, we have 5 subs MORE than capable of putting this one to bed (*Enter Emi Buendia).

UTV

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4970 on: August 06, 2022, 03:01:27 PM »

I'm more surprised with Konsa over Chambers - Was a bit non-plussed when we signed Chambers, but EVERY time I've seen him, he looks decent, and has only got better each time he plays.

UTV

I agree with this, Konsa I thought was way worse than MIngs last season, think he hid a little, barely passed a ball forwards & didn’t defend great.  Hopefully having genuine competition will see him step back up to his early games where he was an England candidate

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #4971 on: August 06, 2022, 06:24:33 PM »
I think SG's treatment of Mings is shocking. To drop him after stripping him of the captaincy is poor man management in my opinion. Mings organises that defence - he's not that bad at all!

Offline Villan82

« Reply #4972 on: August 06, 2022, 06:26:29 PM »
I am going to stick my neck on the line. If I was picking our team, Mings would be one of the first names on the team sheet. I was disappointed when Smith dropped him last season and was disappointed today.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #4973 on: August 06, 2022, 06:27:19 PM »
I wouldn't. He's nowhere near top half Premier League quality.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #4974 on: August 06, 2022, 06:29:39 PM »
He can deal with balls into the box, organise us, look like he cares. Konsa has faded from his form of 20-21

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4975 on: August 06, 2022, 06:35:48 PM »
I think SG's treatment of Mings is shocking. To drop him after stripping him of the captaincy is poor man management in my opinion. Mings organises that defence - he's not that bad at all!

He is though. 

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #4976 on: August 06, 2022, 06:38:02 PM »
Mings absolutely should have started today.  Losing the captaincy,  against his old club with a world cup in few months time?  He'd have been fired up to prove a few people wrong.

But no, Gerrard decides he knows best and issues another very public humiliation of him

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #4977 on: August 06, 2022, 06:38:20 PM »
I think we wouldn’t have conceded either goal today with Mings on the pitch. He was excellent last season at winning most things in the air, and last ditch blocks.

But, to slightly misquote SGT, it’s very easy to convince yourself that the team you would have picked would have done better.

Offline cdward

« Reply #4978 on: August 06, 2022, 06:43:01 PM »
I knew someone else would post it, but Mings would have dealt with both those balls into the box.
Slightly worried that Mings losing the captaincy might affect the dressing room.
Only time will tell.
Mings has more credit in the bank with supporters than SG.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #4979 on: August 06, 2022, 06:48:28 PM »
We are physically weak all over the pitch. It’s a weakness I think a lot of teams will target if we don’t sort it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal