collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 876132 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #4890 on: June 13, 2022, 08:39:53 PM »
I think with Kamara in the side it will hopefully help the defenders all be much more comfortable.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4891 on: June 13, 2022, 08:49:37 PM »
The thing with Mings is that he's a good player with every attribute you'd want for him to be one of the very best defenders in the country, but his mistakes let him down. The one thing he and Konsa have never had is real top notch competition for their places. Well now they have, so it's up to them to improve and maintain standards accordingly. Which is exactly how it should be.

Missed this at the time but the other important thing to remember is that when he joined us he'd played about 15-20 games as a central defender so he came into a premier league campaign, as the leader of our defence, with less than a full season of experience.

Personally I think last season, for him personally, was a good year and particularly a good 2nd half to the season. Unfortunately it coincided with a collapse in Konsa's form so as a team we didn't really benefit. He's now hit 150 appearances as a centre-half and the extra experience is starting to show in my opinion. I don't really understand why so many Villa fans want him gone now.
I honestly think a lot of these views are from fans who don't watch the games or are more influenced by their mates / comments on Twitter than the reality.

I agree he was really good in the second half of the season.  In my view the critisism he gets is way out of proportion to the errors he makes and a lot of people seem to forget just what an important player he has been for us.

I remain a big fan of Mings and look forward to seeing what he can do with a decent DM in front of him and a quality partner next to him, both of who can take off some of the pressure of distribution off him.

Agree with all that.

Yep me too. I think the anti Mings stuff at Villa in part emanates from the anti Mings outside the club. For instance when playing for England, he’s always discussed by pundits in terms of him being the weak link or insinuations to that effect. Connor Coady is never discussed in these terms, never mind Harry Maguire. I think theres a general erosion of his capabilities from within the media and some opposing fabs, to the extent its almost become part of the general premier league narrative that Mings has a mistake and is a bit shit.
How many big mistakes did he make last year, i can remember him not marking Lukaku well for his goal at VP, a bad clearance against Leeds, a few more, not many if any more than other CBs not at our club.
Really looking forwards to seeing him, Carlis and Kamara as a triangle in front of Martinez

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #4892 on: June 16, 2022, 04:53:43 PM »
I agree that Mings is a victim of media " he's got a mistake in him"  without as many recognising that he is allowed excellent in organising the defence and blocking shots on goal.  It would appear that there are also a number of Villa fans who also don't take that into account when commenting.  For me he's a top player, a top bloke and I am sure will be better with a midfield in front of him because it's been so long since we have been competent.  Talk of selling him is nonsense (in my view)

Offline LeonW

« Reply #4893 on: June 16, 2022, 07:07:42 PM »
Mings had a much better season than Maguire IMO. Yet that’s not reflected in the perception many have. I understand that Maguire has done a job for Southgate in the past but when see comments like Neville last summer that Maguire was more important to England than Kane, it was and remains quite baffling the way one is treated to the other. I actually think there’s not much difference between the two and Mings is certainly a better leader.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4894 on: June 17, 2022, 09:01:50 AM »
Slabhead is an absolute shambles for Man Utd. Less so for England as he is shielded by nine other defenders,

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4895 on: June 17, 2022, 09:09:32 AM »
Slabhead is an absolute shambles for Man Utd. Less so for England as he is shielded by nine other defenders,

Yeah, and Tyrone is rock solid every time he plays for England as a result, despite coming in an out of the team.

Mings is a better player than Maguire full stop.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4896 on: June 17, 2022, 09:10:11 AM »

Yeah, and Tyrone is rock solid every time he plays for England as a result, despite coming in an out of the team.

Yep.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #4897 on: June 17, 2022, 09:37:36 AM »

Yep.

Totally agree. I love big Ty a very good player and an excellent person.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #4898 on: June 17, 2022, 11:47:51 AM »
Slabhead was twice the cost but is half the player.... only mogadon Mouthgate cannot see it.

If McGuire played for anyone but them he would not be getting a look in

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #4899 on: June 18, 2022, 04:10:19 PM »
Slabhead was twice the cost but is half the player.... only mogadon Mouthgate cannot see it.

On the money there

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4900 on: June 18, 2022, 06:00:57 PM »
Mings is infuriating with his switching off moments, so frustrating at times

However he’s miles better than Maguire - Maguire doesn’t switch on to start with.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4901 on: June 18, 2022, 06:43:38 PM »
Maguire always puts me in mind of Kryton from Red Dwarf.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4902 on: June 18, 2022, 06:45:38 PM »

He was actually FOUR times the cost of Mings.  With the transfers in the last 12 months, people seem to have forgotten JUST how expensive Maguire was, at £80m - that's more than Van Dijk.

Ty was an absolute steal for us at £20m, even if it felt like a lot at the time.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #4903 on: June 18, 2022, 06:55:33 PM »
Maguire always puts me in mind of Kryton from Red Dwarf.

he isnt terrible just overpriced  , but he looks and runs like a pub player

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #4904 on: June 20, 2022, 01:21:01 AM »
Yes, that lumbering movement recalls pub football.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal