collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:01:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:00:20 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:01:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:00:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 09:59:51 PM]

[Today at 09:57:13 PM]

[Today at 09:56:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 09:54:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:51:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:50:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 891950 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #5850 on: January 04, 2023, 05:00:48 PM »
Gerrard tried to play the “I’m the boss now” move. It might have worked as a decorated player with great standing with lesser players. But in management earn your stripes. It’s a very different set of skills you need to have. And acting the Billy Big Bollocks when you have no tactical ability, the aura of the person disappears fast. Look me in the eye with such a popular player like Mings wouldn’t have sat well with the other players. McGinn never looked comfortable in that role and I doubt he even really wanted it.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #5851 on: January 04, 2023, 05:57:51 PM »
Gerrard tried to play the “I’m the boss now” move. It might have worked as a decorated player with great standing with lesser players. But in management earn your stripes. It’s a very different set of skills you need to have. And acting the Billy Big Bollocks when you have no tactical ability, the aura of the person disappears fast. Look me in the eye with such a popular player like Mings wouldn’t have sat well with the other players. McGinn never looked comfortable in that role and I doubt he even really wanted it.

Look me in eye !!! I know would I would have backed.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #5852 on: January 04, 2023, 06:54:03 PM »
Everything about Gerrard and his reign is unraveling quickly now, the captaincy, tactics, coaching, you name it he’s being exposes a complete charlatan.

All that's true but he had valid concerns about the inability of Mings to play out from the back under pressure. It's just that he made a complete mess of trying to replace him with the captaincy change and all that went with. I'd expect Emery to come to the same conclusion on Mings in the near future especially if Carlos is to finish the season strongly.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #5853 on: January 04, 2023, 10:25:34 PM »
Maldini would have been proud of that through ball....

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5854 on: January 05, 2023, 12:39:57 AM »
Everything about Gerrard and his reign is unraveling quickly now, the captaincy, tactics, coaching, you name it he’s being exposes a complete charlatan.

All that's true but he had valid concerns about the inability of Mings to play out from the back under pressure. It's just that he made a complete mess of trying to replace him with the captaincy change and all that went with. I'd expect Emery to come to the same conclusion on Mings in the near future especially if Carlos is to finish the season strongly.

The thing with Mings when he's in possession, he dwells on the ball so long that it always gives the opposition time to drop back and get set defensively. Mings is mostly a very good defender, but he's also mostly really poor at playing out.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #5855 on: January 05, 2023, 01:01:46 AM »
For Danny Ings goal against Wolves.
A great assist! Brilliant vision and execution.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #5856 on: January 05, 2023, 09:31:29 AM »
A great assist by the big man last night! Keep up the good work Ty!

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #5857 on: January 05, 2023, 05:59:36 PM »

The thing with Mings when he's in possession, he dwells on the ball so long that it always gives the opposition time to drop back and get set defensively. Mings is mostly a very good defender, but he's also mostly really poor at playing out.

Another take on this is that Mings doesn't want to kick the ball away aimlessly, though at times (like much of last night versus Wolves) there is poor movement in front of him other than Watkins running the channels.

Plus Mings is more likely to be pressed in possession as the opposition know that Konsa hardly ever brings the ball out of defence and only ever passes sideways to Mings (or occasionally to the backfoot of the fullback).

In a couple of games with Emery in charge, Konsa has played forwards and travelled with the ball but last night he reverted to his more usual sidewards/backwards game. His pass completion stats must be great, but it makes us easier to play against.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #5858 on: January 05, 2023, 07:15:02 PM »

Another take on this is that Mings doesn't want to kick the ball away aimlessly, though at times (like much of last night versus Wolves) there is poor movement in front of him other than Watkins running the channels.

Plus Mings is more likely to be pressed in possession as the opposition know that Konsa hardly ever brings the ball out of defence and only ever passes sideways to Mings (or occasionally to the backfoot of the fullback).

In a couple of games with Emery in charge, Konsa has played forwards and travelled with the ball but last night he reverted to his more usual sidewards/backwards game. His pass completion stats must be great, but it makes us easier to play against.

Mings huge weakness is that he doesn't want the ball under any circumstances on his right foot. He will overplay the ball to avoid any kind of turning onto his right side. I wouldn't be putting any blame at all on our CBs last night. Wolves did us tactically in the first half by sitting on both Kamara particularly and Luiz while we had Young and Cash bumping into each other. I really don't want either Konsa or Mings stepping past them into midfield in those circumstances. They did their primary jobs well but has to be said that Costa is finished at this level so not the toughest opponent.

Following up from shutting down Kane and Son a few days previous it's a decent recovery from both of them from the keystone cops efforts v Liverpool in our last home game.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #5859 on: January 05, 2023, 07:24:29 PM »
I was looking at Mings last night and at times it was like come you f**kers someone make a move

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #5860 on: January 05, 2023, 07:43:38 PM »
Mings was very good last night and he also moved the ball quite well. He played a couple diagonal passes which were very good. Obviously the assist was also excellent. I think read earlier he played the most accurate and most passes in the whole game.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #5861 on: January 05, 2023, 08:12:30 PM »

Mings huge weakness is that he doesn't want the ball under any circumstances on his right foot. He will overplay the ball to avoid any kind of turning onto his right side. I wouldn't be putting any blame at all on our CBs last night. Wolves did us tactically in the first half by sitting on both Kamara particularly and Luiz while we had Young and Cash bumping into each other. I really don't want either Konsa or Mings stepping past them into midfield in those circumstances. They did their primary jobs well but has to be said that Costa is finished at this level so not the toughest opponent.

Following up from shutting down Kane and Son a few days previous it's a decent recovery from both of them from the keystone cops efforts v Liverpool in our last home game.
I think Mings is no more reluctant to use his weaker (right) foot than any other player.

Though this might be a lifetime of arguing - as a left-footed player - that the majority of players, fans, and pundits (that are right-footed) cannot watch a left-footed player and come to any other conclusion than "very one-footed player".

Properly winds me up. Always has. UTV.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5862 on: January 05, 2023, 08:19:53 PM »
Maradona only had a left foot and he did Ok. Mings looks a wee bit less fluid than the great man, however. And he's not as good at headers.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #5863 on: January 05, 2023, 08:27:04 PM »

I think Mings is no more reluctant to use his weaker (right) foot than any other player.

Though this might be a lifetime of arguing - as a left-footed player - that the majority of players, fans, and pundits (that are right-footed) cannot watch a left-footed player and come to any other conclusion than "very one-footed player".

Properly winds me up. Always has. UTV.

Of our current and recent lefties..Mings, McGinn, Bailey, Hause, Nakamba, Hourihane...their right feet might aswell be made of timber...don't notice it with Digne as much (right footed clogger here btw)

Offline bob

« Reply #5864 on: January 06, 2023, 11:35:32 AM »
Mings has the same number of Premier League assists as Petrov and Downing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal