collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Steve67
[Today at 10:17:58 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[Today at 10:17:48 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:07:52 PM]

150 celebrations by curiousorange
[Today at 10:05:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Mellin
[Today at 10:05:08 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:02:18 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:31:36 PM]

Who should create the Atmosphere? by Pat McMahon
[Today at 09:31:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 888863 times)

Offline clash city rocker

Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #5835 on: January 04, 2023, 01:57:55 PM »
We all know that 'the club' make decisions about how the players go about things. The players don't organise the visits to the hospital/acorns etc. 'The club' decide who goes on the front of Christmas cards, who is on the photos on the website, who goes where.

I suspect that all of the people behind the scenes will have had discussions with whoever it is that makes the final decisions in each respective area and that a bigger decision will have been made. If I was the Marketing and publicity person I'd like Mings there because he does the right things, says the right things, leads by example etc.

Everyone was surprised/shocked that McGinn replaced Mings as captain, and I think that behind the scenes 'the club' will have felt the same way, as likeable as McGinn may be.

Did SJM even want to be captain in the circumstances?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5836 on: January 04, 2023, 02:14:59 PM »
We all know that 'the club' make decisions about how the players go about things. The players don't organise the visits to the hospital/acorns etc. 'The club' decide who goes on the front of Christmas cards, who is on the photos on the website, who goes where.

I suspect that all of the people behind the scenes will have had discussions with whoever it is that makes the final decisions in each respective area and that a bigger decision will have been made. If I was the Marketing and publicity person I'd like Mings there because he does the right things, says the right things, leads by example etc.

Everyone was surprised/shocked that McGinn replaced Mings as captain, and I think that behind the scenes 'the club' will have felt the same way, as likeable as McGinn may be.

He's spent most of the season playing like it's a burden.

« Reply #5837 on: January 04, 2023, 02:21:16 PM »

He's spent most of the season playing like it's a burden.

It all seems to me that SG's man management skills were not up to scratch

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5838 on: January 04, 2023, 02:28:01 PM »
Players do things on their own. No publicity, no mentions on social media etc. Obviously all official club content and visits are done with the club, but players will go to schools, events etc on their own and just because they want to. I've probably said before, and it's going back a while because of the player involved, but Gareth Barry went to a school over Stratford way for a few hours one day, only reason I knew about it was a mate's wife was a teacher there. But it was just him turning up, no one from the club, no cameras etc.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5839 on: January 04, 2023, 02:37:49 PM »
Players do things on their own. No publicity, no mentions on social media etc. Obviously all official club content and visits are done with the club, but players will go to schools, events etc on their own and just because they want to. I've probably said before, and it's going back a while because of the player involved, but Gareth Barry went to a school over Stratford way for a few hours one day, only reason I knew about it was a mate's wife was a teacher there. But it was just him turning up, no one from the club, no cameras etc.

Oh yes of course, they do, but in the instances I'm talking about, the Xmas card, the official visit to the memorial for the lads that drowned, that's more than a player just turning up without talking about it first isn't it?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5840 on: January 04, 2023, 02:40:29 PM »

I don't think it makes any difference to whether a player is captain or not when it comes to club visits etc, and the day anybody other than the manager has a say in who does get to be captain is the day we probably stop being able to attract managers. In terms of on field activities, I think taking the captaincy off Mings was one of the few things Gerrard got right, as his form has improved since he did, and I wouldn't be in a rush to reinstate him. I imagine that Emery will stick with McGinn for the rest of this campaign and then assess it in the summer for next season.

Offline bob

« Reply #5841 on: January 04, 2023, 02:43:40 PM »

Oh yes of course, they do, but in the instances I'm talking about, the Xmas card, the official visit to the memorial for the lads that drowned, that's more than a player just turning up without talking about it first isn't it?

It wasn't an official visit, was it?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #5842 on: January 04, 2023, 03:00:13 PM »

I don't think it makes any difference to whether a player is captain or not when it comes to club visits etc, and the day anybody other than the manager has a say in who does get to be captain is the day we probably stop being able to attract managers. In terms of on field activities, I think taking the captaincy off Mings was one of the few things Gerrard got right, as his form has improved since he did,

Did it? I thought he was great the last few months of last season.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5843 on: January 04, 2023, 03:03:29 PM »
taking the captaincy away might have bene the right call, making a big deal of it for weeks and the whole 'look me in the eye' bollocks was fucking stupid

« Reply #5844 on: January 04, 2023, 03:06:17 PM »
taking the captaincy away might have bene the right call, making a big deal of it for weeks and the whole 'look me in the eye' bollocks was fucking stupid

Totally

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #5845 on: January 04, 2023, 03:06:43 PM »

In hindsight he really should have been advised not to take it. McGinn was already struggling for form and the last thing he needed was the captaincy.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5846 on: January 04, 2023, 03:11:56 PM »

Totally

Absolutely this.

The 'look me in the eye' stuff made absolutely no sense - what the fuck is that even meant to mean?

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5847 on: January 04, 2023, 04:33:46 PM »
Everything about Gerrard and his reign is unraveling quickly now, the captaincy, tactics, coaching, you name it he’s being exposes a complete charlatan.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5848 on: January 04, 2023, 04:34:17 PM »
Everything about Gerrard and his reign is unraveling quickly now, the captaincy, tactics, coaching, you name it he’s being exposes a complete charlatan.

It's like the Berlin wall coming down.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5849 on: January 04, 2023, 04:43:31 PM »
I'm now picturing a confused John McGinn emerging blinking into the light wearing double denim and a mullet

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal