collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 892221 times)

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #3270 on: January 05, 2021, 01:58:01 PM »
And can we stop having a go at Tyrone? He is Ours, he is a great player and he is a great leader on and off the pitch. No one here would seriously consider swopping him.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3271 on: January 05, 2021, 02:03:45 PM »
And can we stop having a go at Tyrone? He is Ours, he is a great player and he is a great leader on and off the pitch. No one here would seriously consider swopping him.

I would.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #3272 on: January 05, 2021, 02:16:12 PM »
I agree with Risso, if we are to progress to the stage were we are challenging for trophies every season then we need to be constantly improve the team and also in the coaching and management of the team - there can be no sentiment.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3273 on: January 05, 2021, 02:26:22 PM »
This thread is hilarious. You've got those attempting to be serious, then those on the wind-up and finally those spouting nonsense.
Keep up the good work Tyrone, you'll be with us for a good while yet.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #3274 on: January 05, 2021, 02:40:15 PM »
I don't think sentiment is something this management and executive set-up can be accused of. When we came up it would have been easy for them to give good servants like Albert or Hutton new deals but they rightly gave them the chop. This pre-season, no-one would have criticised them for keeping Heaton and Freddy/AEH as first choices but Martinez and Cash became available and they were brought in. Samatta came in, was shite, so was promptly shipped out again. They've done nothing but constantly improve the team and coaching set-up, and I don't doubt that if a centre-half Smith sees as better than Mings became available they'd bring him in.

Equally though at various times over the last season and a half Smith, Konsa, Trezeguet, Hause, Mings, El Ghazi, and as recently as five or six weeks ago McGinn were said by some of us on here to be not good enough - for me the club's judgement in the last year has been very good indeed other than a few exceptions so they've earned my trust in their willingness to take a decision if they think it will improve us but equally to keep hold if they think there's more development to come.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3275 on: January 05, 2021, 03:05:54 PM »
Yes but what does Mrs Moonraker say about our venerable Tyrone?

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #3276 on: January 05, 2021, 03:12:40 PM »
What I am having a hard time understanding, is how people think slagging players off at any chance, is going to help Aston Villa? I do the obvious knee-jerk reactions when players do shit things, but I can't see why going all public slating players is a good thing. They do read on the internet (probably have more time off than most average people). Best example currently is EAG, who was hounded and probably will get player of the month now.

(queue - opinion, nobody slagging off, they earn plenty of money etc. etc.)

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #3277 on: January 05, 2021, 03:16:25 PM »
Mrs Moonraker has told me to say I agree with Edvard....

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3278 on: January 05, 2021, 03:20:52 PM »
He'll have a great game v Liverpool on Friday night and all will be forgotten. Even so, Tyrone's market value is now £30 million +.  Who is better out there available that we could replace him with? I think he's as good as if not better than Maguire and we all know what he cost.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3279 on: January 05, 2021, 03:37:07 PM »
I don't think sentiment is something this management and executive set-up can be accused of. When we came up it would have been easy for them to give good servants like Albert or Hutton new deals but they rightly gave them the chop. This pre-season, no-one would have criticised them for keeping Heaton and Freddy/AEH as first choices but Martinez and Cash became available and they were brought in. Samatta came in, was shite, so was promptly shipped out again. They've done nothing but constantly improve the team and coaching set-up, and I don't doubt that if a centre-half Smith sees as better than Mings became available they'd bring him in.

Equally though at various times over the last season and a half Smith, Konsa, Trezeguet, Hause, Mings, El Ghazi, and as recently as five or six weeks ago McGinn were said by some of us on here to be not good enough - for me the club's judgement in the last year has been very good indeed other than a few exceptions so they've earned my trust in their willingness to take a decision if they think it will improve us but equally to keep hold if they think there's more development to come.

Absolutely, it's not a case of "If Smith thinks it's good then that's ok for me" but rather "I trust Smith to know what he's doing so, until there's evidence against it, I'll trust his judgement on players". As I said on the Barkley thread talking about Alli I think the biggest thing Smith looks for is attitude, players who can accept having their flaws pointed out and will then work on fixing them. It's why Grealish is the player he is and it's why Luiz, Targett and Konsa in particular have gone from looking like relegation battlers to being top 6 standard.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #3280 on: January 05, 2021, 05:10:04 PM »
He'll have a great game v Liverpool on Friday night and all will be forgotten. Even so, Tyrone's market value is now £30 million +.  Who is better out there available that we could replace him with? I think he's as good as if not better than Maguire and we all know what he cost.
Precisely this. Except for the Maguire comparison, Mings is considerably better IMO. Given that we won’t buy Van Dijk, who would we buy to replace the current England number one in that position?? That’s fact not sentiment.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3281 on: January 05, 2021, 05:22:00 PM »
I think Maguire is a bloody good centre half personally, although I appreciate that's not a popular view these days. Wouldn't have paid £80m mind.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3282 on: January 05, 2021, 05:41:36 PM »
Precisely this. Except for the Maguire comparison, Mings is considerably better IMO. Given that we won’t buy Van Dijk, who would we buy to replace the current England number one in that position?? That’s fact not sentiment.

FACT!

Not a fact.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3283 on: January 05, 2021, 05:59:54 PM »
I think Maguire is a bloody good centre half personally, although I appreciate that's not a popular view these days. Wouldn't have paid £80m mind.

I watched him a few times at Bramall Lane in his League One days and said to everyone he'd play for England. They all laughed at me as he wasn't on everyone else's wavelength.... 👀

Hes out of form. But he's a solid defender.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #3284 on: January 05, 2021, 07:00:41 PM »

I watched him a few times at Bramall Lane in his League One days and said to everyone he'd play for England. They all laughed at me as he wasn't on everyone else's wavelength.... 👀

Hes out of form. But he's a solid defender.
He’s good but no more than that IMO. Would you swap him for Mings?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal