collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 11:21:58 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:06:24 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 11:00:31 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Drummond
[Today at 10:52:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 890724 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #3255 on: January 04, 2021, 10:40:39 PM »
I'd still rather Tyrone be playing for us than, say, Tottenham, Everton etc.  He a great player and an excellent chap and I'm proud of him for what he does the BLM and the mental health campaigns led by the villa supporting future King.  Oh, he is also still a fantastic player, who makes the odd rick here and there. Different players I know, but we don't moan too much when Jack takes a wrong decision on the pitch, shoots when he should have passed, or vice versa, hangs on to it for too long or generally has a quiet game.  Tyrone is one of ours, loves playing for the Villa.

This.

Great post!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #3256 on: January 05, 2021, 09:37:25 AM »
It's water in pipes. All plumbers are thieves.

Not the one I use.  Had to call him in yesterday to fix a leaking radiator that was causing the central heating pressure to drop.  Rang him in the morning, he came early afternoon, replaced summat and was on his way...€40.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3257 on: January 05, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »
Tyrone is one of ours, loves playing for the Villa.

Not disagreeing with your post, and I think Mings is going through an iffy patch but is still a leader on the pitch and very important to us as a club.

I do think, however, that if we're going to be really successful, we're going to have to get more ruthless and move away from being driven by sentiment and look more at delivery, and in particular what happens when players consistently do not deliver.

In other words they shouldn't get a pass because they love playing for us (although that's a love stoked by paying him tens of thousands of pounds a month) or we see them as one of ours.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3258 on: January 05, 2021, 10:51:43 AM »
"You ignore the point that in the long run a replacement will be needed - as with many of our current squad - if we are going to progress as we would hope."  Oldhill_AVFC

It isn't really that contentious.Yes, and I am discussing the opinion, that I hold, that our manager and coaching staff, who work closely with the squad, week in and week out,  and have attained such an unexpected and exceptional level of performance from a squad, that most felt would be in a relegation fight this year, might, just might, maybe, perhaps... know better than we do.  They chose to bring Mings back and replace Hause as soon as he was available and, maybe, just maybe, we should believe in their knowledge and vision of what will work best for the team.  That's just my opinion.  You are welcome to believe you know better than them, and next time you need a plumber, maybe, just maybe, you should try and do it yourself.  You never know you may be better at that than them, too.

They're not always right. I'm not a professional football anything, but even I could see that signing Danny Drinkwater was utter stupidity last season. Even worse was having seen him waddle around the pitch in his first match, they then picked him again. Imagine my surprise when somebody with a reputation for having a terrible attitude and getting into fights then assaulted one of our other players in training. To use your plumbing analogy, it was like calling somebody out to fit a new sink, and them plumbing in a Mark IV Ford Cortina instead.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #3259 on: January 05, 2021, 11:11:31 AM »
Risso, you’ve gotta let this Danny Drinkwater thing go!

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3260 on: January 05, 2021, 11:20:40 AM »

Not the one I use.  Had to call him in yesterday to fix a leaking radiator that was causing the central heating pressure to drop.  Rang him in the morning, he came early afternoon, replaced summat and was on his way...€40.

Dave! I'm shocked and disappointed that you didn't at least try me for radiator stuff. It's my area, for sure.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3261 on: January 05, 2021, 11:38:49 AM »
"You ignore the point that in the long run a replacement will be needed - as with many of our current squad - if we are going to progress as we would hope."  Oldhill_AVFC

It isn't really that contentious.Yes, and I am discussing the opinion, that I hold, that our manager and coaching staff, who work closely with the squad, week in and week out,  and have attained such an unexpected and exceptional level of performance from a squad, that most felt would be in a relegation fight this year, might, just might, maybe, perhaps... know better than we do.  They chose to bring Mings back and replace Hause as soon as he was available and, maybe, just maybe, we should believe in their knowledge and vision of what will work best for the team.  That's just my opinion.  You are welcome to believe you know better than them, and next time you need a plumber, maybe, just maybe, you should try and do it yourself.  You never know you may be better at that than them, too.

They're not always right. I'm not a professional football anything, but even I could see that signing Danny Drinkwater was utter stupidity last season. Even worse was having seen him waddle around the pitch in his first match, they then picked him again. Imagine my surprise when somebody with a reputation for having a terrible attitude and getting into fights then assaulted one of our other players in training. To use your plumbing analogy, it was like calling somebody out to fit a new sink, and them plumbing in a Mark IV Ford Cortina instead.

True but if it was down to you we'd have replaced about 5-6 of the players who've performed well this season, including Targett, AEG and Trez who've you've called absolutely shite numerous times in the last 18months. This isn't me singling you out to slag off just highlighting that everyone makes mistakes, the difference is that people like Smith see the players a lot more than we do and can see how they're responding to training. Smith clearly sees Mings as a key player for his style and given the overall results I see anything to suggest he's getting that wrong. Yes Mings makes some mistakes (but in my opinion they are massively overstated by some people) but he also brings a lot of good things to the team.

Offline Risso

« Reply #3262 on: January 05, 2021, 12:07:36 PM »

I can't!   :'(

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #3263 on: January 05, 2021, 12:52:33 PM »

Dave! I'm shocked and disappointed that you didn't at least try me for radiator stuff. It's my area, for sure.

Apologies SE, I did think about you but I thought I can't afford the call out charge from Mexico!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3264 on: January 05, 2021, 01:09:49 PM »

Indeed and I woiuld also add, if we buy into the concept of management infallibility, then we can't be selective as to how we apply it.

So that means Alex McLeish was right to play 9 defenders at White Hart Lane, that Remi Garde was right with his decisions, and that Paul Lambert throwing Samba up front in a desperate attempt to win that LC semi final was also right.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #3265 on: January 05, 2021, 01:10:46 PM »

I can't!   :'(

Surely someone on here knows of a relevant “helpline?”

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3266 on: January 05, 2021, 01:25:24 PM »

Indeed and I woiuld also add, if we buy into the concept of management infallibility, then we can't be selective as to how we apply it.

So that means Alex McLeish was right to play 9 defenders at White Hart Lane, that Remi Garde was right with his decisions, and that Paul Lambert throwing Samba up front in a desperate attempt to win that LC semi final was also right.

I thought the Samba decision was excellent.

I suppose a bit of balance is required, the three mentioned were evidently useless as anyone with a pair of eyes could see, whereas at least the current set up appear to be able to distinguish arse from elbow on the evidence presented so far.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3267 on: January 05, 2021, 01:42:50 PM »

^^

How many times did we hear on here that if it was good enough for David O'Leary/ Martin O'Neill et al it was good enough for us.

That went well.

Offline Risso

« Reply #3268 on: January 05, 2021, 01:50:05 PM »
It's all about opinions at the end of the day.  If everybody just accepted that managers were always right, then this would be a fairly dull place.

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #3269 on: January 05, 2021, 01:55:17 PM »
My wife told me that she is always right and she isn't a manager?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal