collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 800877 times)

Online aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
Re: The International Cricket Thread
« Reply #4845 on: February 24, 2021, 02:29:03 PM »
Do people still think there's nothing wrong with this pitch?

I'm saying this as an excuse for a terrible batting performance, just pointing out that it's simply not good enough for test cricket and I'd think the same if it was us benefitting from it. There's a hole appearing right where the quicks are planting on the back of about 10-12 overs bowled by seamers from that end, that's just pathetic.

Still think the pitch is fine, sorry.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4846 on: February 24, 2021, 02:37:53 PM »
Do people still think there's nothing wrong with this pitch?

I'm saying this as an excuse for a terrible batting performance, just pointing out that it's simply not good enough for test cricket and I'd think the same if it was us benefitting from it. There's a hole appearing right where the quicks are planting on the back of about 10-12 overs bowled by seamers from that end, that's just pathetic.

Still think the pitch is fine, sorry.

Are you watching? Did you see the big divot that ripped out from Broads delivery stride and forced them to bring a groundsman on to beat the ground down? That shouldn't be happening on an international pitch, if nothing else it risks becoming dangerous from the seamers if it gets much worse. England batting badly doesn't give them a pass for that.

Online aev

« Reply #4847 on: February 24, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »
It is a landing point footmark, and can often happen, especially if you are landing in the same area.

They don't have to land there, they can choose to alter their approach and landing point if they are finding it awkward.

Oh, and yes, I am watching.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4848 on: February 24, 2021, 02:46:02 PM »
It is a landing point footmark, and can often happen, especially if you are landing in the same area.

They don't have to land there, they can choose to alter their approach and landing point if they are finding it awkward.

Probs shouldn’t do that after about 20 overs of seam but will become irrelevant when it is Leach & Root bowling 30/40 overs each once the first bursts are done

Online aev

« Reply #4849 on: February 24, 2021, 02:49:55 PM »

Probs shouldn’t do that after about 20 overs of seam but will become irrelevant when it is Leach & Root bowling 30/40 overs each once the first bursts are done

Anderson and Broad have bowled 6 overs each over the wicket - if it had been that much of a concern or discomfort I think they would have gone around the wicket.

Online paul_e

« Reply #4850 on: February 24, 2021, 02:54:02 PM »

If you think a day pitch encouraging bowlers to change their line for their own safety is fine then I think we'll leave it at that.

Online aev

« Reply #4851 on: February 24, 2021, 03:02:30 PM »

If you think a day pitch encouraging bowlers to change their line for their own safety is fine then I think we'll leave it at that.

They didn't need to, did they?

Online paul_e

« Reply #4852 on: February 24, 2021, 03:41:39 PM »
Stokes and Jimmy have both fallen over in their delivery so far (and both looked back at the pitch as if it slipped underneath them). Also the umpire has been over to look at it a number of times.

Online aev

« Reply #4853 on: February 24, 2021, 03:57:52 PM »
But there are 2 different things really here that you've highlighted - you mentioned the ball behaving differently from their spinner (I don't know which balls you saw) but it could simply be a ball that simply didn't grip and went straight on.

I don't think that would suggest a poor pitch.

The landing points are a different thing - obviously it isn't ideal but it is far from unique. One of the reasons for this could of course be dusk / night time conditions that we have had to bowl in.

Online paul_e

« Reply #4854 on: February 24, 2021, 04:11:13 PM »
But there are 2 different things really here that you've highlighted - you mentioned the ball behaving differently from their spinner (I don't know which balls you saw) but it could simply be a ball that simply didn't grip and went straight on.

The landing points are a different thing - obviously it isn't ideal but it is far from unique. One of the reasons for this could of course be dusk / night time conditions that we have had to bowl in.

They're not different things though, both are consequences of their being almost no grass at the crease at either end, you can see that by simply looking for the painted line, it's almost completely disappeared at both ends on the side we're bowling from. What grass was there was just bound to the top layer of soil and that was lost in less than half a day of play. All of this means that the pitch has been allowed to dry out, with the intention of giving the spinners grip and turn from the first day but they've gone too far with it.

The deliveries I mentioned (and that the studio team raised) were as sign, for me, that the pitch was a dustbowl, what has happened in this last session with the England quicks just backs that up.

Anyway i don't want to argue about it, it won't change the game anyway, I just think there should be questions asked.

On the game itself Pope nearly got a wonder catch there, it that had stuck it'd have been one of the most replayed catches of all time, very unlucky.

Online paul_e

« Reply #4855 on: February 24, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »
and then he drops a dolly.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4856 on: February 24, 2021, 04:12:55 PM »
That’s a shocking drop.

Online aev

« Reply #4857 on: February 24, 2021, 04:14:57 PM »

They're not different things though, both are consequences of their being almost no grass at the crease at either end, you can see that by simply looking for the painted line, it's almost completely disappeared at both ends on the side we're bowling from. What grass was there was just bound to the top layer of soil and that was lost in less than half a day of play. All of this means that the pitch has been allowed to dry out, with the intention of giving the spinners grip and turn from the first day but they've gone too far with it.

The deliveries I mentioned (and that the studio team raised) were as sign, for me, that the pitch was a dustbowl, what has happened in this last session with the England quicks just backs that up.

Anyway i don't want to argue about it, it won't change the game anyway, I just think there should be questions asked.

On the game itself Pope nearly got a wonder catch there, it that had stuck it'd have been one of the most replayed catches of all time, very unlucky.

Well we can happily disagree.

The pitch for the last test was awful - I think this one is nowhere near as bad.

Unless we are able to bat time we will struggle to be competitive in India.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4858 on: February 24, 2021, 04:16:06 PM »
You can’t drop catches like that in any situation.

Online paul_e

« Reply #4859 on: February 24, 2021, 04:19:12 PM »
Well we can happily disagree.

The pitch for the last test was awful - I think this one is nowhere near as bad.

Unless we are able to bat time we will struggle to be competitive in India.

Don't forget both of these are pitches that are facing 10 days of play. The first lasted about 3 before it started doing dodgy stuff and was clearly unfit for purpose by the 2nd test this looks every bit as bad as day 4 of the first test with supposedly 9 days to go on it. My concerns are what will happen over the course of the 2 games based on some dodgy stuff already.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal