collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by john e
[Today at 02:17:17 PM]

Season Tickets by simboy
[Today at 02:02:28 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by London Villan
[Today at 01:36:33 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Si
[Today at 01:22:56 PM]

The Holte’s Last Stand by Stu82
[Today at 01:02:13 PM]

Championship Memories by Stu82
[Today at 12:57:32 PM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by thick_mike
[Today at 12:53:40 PM]

Kits 24/25 by Monty
[Today at 12:00:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 841454 times)

Online simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
Re: The International Cricket Thread
« Reply #11520 on: February 26, 2024, 08:37:11 AM »
In the end the Indian side has better bowling options for the surface. Robinson didn’t even bowl in the second innings - we desperately needed a “ point of difference” and the young lad who unfortunately had to go home, Ahmed, was probably it.

It’s a learning experience for our youngsters but what it has confirmed is Bairstow is not suited to Indian wickets and is batting a place too high. I think they may bring in Laurence for the final game, rest Anderson and the perhaps push Bairstow down one.

Mind you if Robinson takes that catch when Jurel is 59 I think we win the game.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #11521 on: February 26, 2024, 08:50:50 AM »
In the end the Indian side has better bowling options for the surface. Robinson didn’t even bowl in the second innings - we desperately needed a “ point of difference” and the young lad who unfortunately had to go home, Ahmed, was probably it.

It’s a learning experience for our youngsters but what it has confirmed is Bairstow is not suited to Indian wickets and is batting a place too high. I think they may bring in Laurence for the final game, rest Anderson and the perhaps push Bairstow down one.

That's 1 of 5/6 what if moments and sadly we were on the wrong side of every one of them, the Robinson LBW yesterday was another big one, umpire's call for one that turned that much is tough to take.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2025
« Reply #11522 on: February 26, 2024, 08:57:54 AM »
We have been poor at “moments” since the first Test. England do need to be a bit careful, when McCullum and Stokes took over the change in style was welcome and it brought a lot of victories as well. But we haven’t won a series since Pakistan now. I support the approach, but it only stands up if we’re getting results with it. England had that ruthless edge in abundance in the early days, and it’s still there at times but it’s more intermittent. They need to bring it back.

Online simboy

« Reply #11523 on: February 26, 2024, 09:51:36 AM »

That's 1 of 5/6 what if moments and sadly we were on the wrong side of every one of them, the Robinson LBW yesterday was another big one, umpire's call for one that turned that much is tough to take.

Umpires call is not something a batsman can do much about and I don’t go with the Vaughan conspiracy theory.

What a player can take a catch when it’s as straightforward as that one appeared to be. The Bairstow shot choice in both first and second innings was poor, and in the case of Robinson, second innings he didn’t look like he could hold a bat let alone hit any runs. He had already had one review overturned. He’d gone from an assured all rounder first knock to a number 11 second time around.

Anyway. There we are.

You were right Paul. I did understate that win in the first test. I was hoping for a really good series where England applied themselves, played the conditions and won two or three.

Online paul_e

« Reply #11524 on: February 26, 2024, 09:58:17 AM »

Umpires call is not something a batsman can do much about and I don’t go with the Vaughan conspiracy theory.

What a player can take a catch when it’s as straightforward as that one appeared to be. The Bairstow shot choice in both first and second innings was poor, and in the case of Robinson, second innings he didn’t look like he could hold a bat let alone hit any runs. He had already had one review overturned. He’d gone from an assured all rounder first knock to a number 11 second time around.

Anyway. There we are.

You were right Paul. I did understate that win in the first test. I was hoping for a really good series where England applied themselves, played the conditions and won two or three.

What I mean is that an onfield umpire giving you out LBW to one that pitched 3-4 inches outside off and was clipping leg is pretty unlucky, nothing more than that. I mentioned it because we'd seen a little over a day earlier that he is capable of scoring important runs.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #11525 on: February 26, 2024, 10:04:47 AM »
Roots LBW in the second innings is absolute horseshit. No way that pitched in line with leg stump

Online paul_e

« Reply #11526 on: February 26, 2024, 10:07:15 AM »
Roots LBW in the second innings is absolute horseshit. No way that pitched in line with leg stump

Yeah, that's another one that went against us and could've been very different.

Online simboy

« Reply #11527 on: February 26, 2024, 10:20:21 AM »

but according to Hawkeye itself where the ball pitches is the only accurate point of reference, so no traffic light system. The superimposed lines are for television. Once it strikes the pad it could be off by a fraction because of it being 60 frames a second. And as such the "umpires call" allows for that. Thought Stephen Finn gave a good explanation yesterday. 

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #11528 on: February 26, 2024, 12:10:29 PM »

but according to Hawkeye itself where the ball pitches is the only accurate point of reference, so no traffic light system. The superimposed lines are for television. Once it strikes the pad it could be off by a fraction because of it being 60 frames a second. And as such the "umpires call" allows for that. Thought Stephen Finn gave a good explanation yesterday. 

By the naked eye it pitched outside leg.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #11529 on: March 01, 2024, 06:53:41 PM »
Ireland have won their first test match. https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/68446580

Offline Whiney MacWhineface

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #11530 on: March 04, 2024, 07:59:32 PM »
I agree that there seemed to be two odd Hawkeye decisions, I admit to being biased.

The middle order is collectively wonky, though individual scores have been great.

Stokes contribution has been pretty good as a captain, crap as a batter, and of course no bowling

Online simboy

« Reply #11531 on: March 07, 2024, 08:04:24 AM »
I was going to say … you don’t know what’s a good score until both sides have batted on a track … but it’s England batting, or more accurately collapsing.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #11532 on: March 07, 2024, 08:09:39 AM »
another hideous batting collapse.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2025
« Reply #11533 on: March 07, 2024, 08:12:31 AM »
Blimey this is going to be a thumping.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #11534 on: March 07, 2024, 08:19:16 AM »
The middle order have not put in an acceptable performance in this series. Root and Pope have been awful besides one innings, Bairstow has been pathetic and Stokes very poor too.

They are the experience in this team and all of them badly failing has killed us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal