collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Norwich City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 20849 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Norwich City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2018, 10:03:24 AM »
Whilst I'm not saying that the injuries didn't cause a wobble, they certainly shouldn't have de-railed our game plan to a huge extent, Adomah had been gash and nearly all the attacks where he was on the ball broke down and Tammy was largely chasing shadows (not his fault). Bringing Kodjia on for Tammy and El Khazi (or just playing 10 men) for Adomah shouldn't have changed things too dramatically.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2018, 10:30:07 AM »
You can't deny it, Norwich were (Paul Lambert) excellent & deserved the win.

Smith, Terry and everyone should now realise the enormity of the task at hand, there's still way too much dead wood and drifters in this team, I'm looking at you Taylor, Hourihane, Hutton, Hogan and as for our goalkeeper, fucking hell, where do you start?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »
by sending him back to the land of the trolls asap.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2018, 10:39:29 AM »
Whilst I'm not saying that the injuries didn't cause a wobble, they certainly shouldn't have de-railed our game plan to a huge extent, Adomah had been gash and nearly all the attacks where he was on the ball broke down and Tammy was largely chasing shadows (not his fault). Bringing Kodjia on for Tammy and El Khazi (or just playing 10 men) for Adomah shouldn't have changed things too dramatically.

Kodjia could have scored or created something . He is a presence up front and on the ball despite his enigamatic ways can deliver a moment of quality or magic from absolute ability where hogan and many others could not .

He also could challenge their defenders effectively in the air and on the ground running at them , getting free kicks and trobling the players on bookings .

Hogan had 4 touches.

JK has a great leap and superb in the air  also may have been able to clear ball at near post heading away for equaliser
And also score if he was central striker from El ghazi sumptuous ball in which small gut hogan could only look at.

I fear he's not a Smith man and his lack of closing down would be a big factor.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:41:10 AM by footyskillz »

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2018, 10:48:12 AM »
Also Adomah was coming into the match and that's why he got injured because he uses footy skillz and beat some players he was actually getting more involved.

Whereas granted Abraham chases and press but what was Tammy Abraham fault is his constantly giving ball away to Norwich with his loose passing. He's the worst player by far in not finding team mates
Clearly there is work on developing his game as a striker he's a decent goal scorer at this level but as proved at Swansea in premier league he wasn't up to much in all round abilities and why chelsea dont have him fact he's still championship level . 

In some ways he fits Bruce style but I think if he can find his team mates alot more then our attacking play can be more effective.

This is something can work on and being a striker includes general play he has the goal scoring ability just needs to add his link up and passing as it's below par by some way

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »
As much as I like Abraham, I see no point whatsoever in signing him when have Kodjia, our own player, who scored (was it?) 20 odd goals in his first season and started this one with a couple or three. Especially when the defence needed so many reinforcements. But that's one for Bruce to explain.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2018, 11:43:31 AM »
In terms of the subs, yes they turned the game but I can see what Smith was trying to do.

I can understand why he went for Hogan when Tammy went off.  Our press was working quite well and he probably thought Hogan would be better suited for that and with potential to nick one.  Obviously they scored with the next kick, Hogan was anonymous so it turned out to be a mistake.

Given our bench, El Ghazi seemed an obvious choice to replace Albert.  Again he was awful and in hindsight Kodjia would probably have been a better option.

Overall I thought Norwich were pretty neat and tidy, pressed well and moved the ball much better than us.  They didn't have many chances but were the better team.

When we had the ball we always looked under pressure and were never really comfortable in possession.  Taylor looked lost.  Hutton at least overlapped well and got in a few decent crosses one of which led to Tammy hitting the post.  His positioning on the first goal was awful and it wasn't the only time Rhodes was left unmarked from corners.

In the final analysis whilst Norwich were tidier there wasn't a great deal of difference in chances created.  We both scored from a corner.  Rhodes finished his chance and Tammy hit the post from his.  But we look miles from a promotion team and I only hope Smith can work his magic quickly.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2018, 11:49:07 AM »
The other point that sprung out to me was the fact that 5 of those players that started will not be good enough to play his system effectively so that we get the best out of it. Hutton, Taylor, Hourahane, Whelan and Adomah are either not quick enough, don't have the speed of thought or just don't have the technique to play it. The jury is out for me on Nyland and Tuenzebe. The others were ok that started.

I agree with this and think we are looking at a total rebuild to be honest.  It is clear that Dean Smith wants to play a high tempo game both with and without the ball and the players you mention above just aren't suited to that kind of game. 

We need a big clear out and Smith and his staff need to be given time to implement their ideas.   

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2018, 12:16:53 PM »
Smith will learn loads from this defeat - maybe confirming stuff he already knew.
His ability to do much in the short term is limited, but I would expect January - May to be exciting and different; and successful.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2018, 12:34:17 PM »
as in racing from the drop zone?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »
It crossed my mind that he's trying them out at the moment to have a look at them for himself within his system. I would have thought El Ghazi could be eliminated from his future selections based on that alone, and he will have seen that some of the other cloggers are going to struggle to fit his needs as well.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »
Not only did Bruce leave an unbalanced squad he left players that are no where near match fitness because of lack of activity and or conditioning.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »
In terms of the subs, yes they turned the game but I can see what Smith was trying to do.

I can understand why he went for Hogan when Tammy went off.  Our press was working quite well and he probably thought Hogan would be better suited for that and with potential to nick one.  Obviously they scored with the next kick, Hogan was anonymous so it turned out to be a mistake.

Given our bench, El Ghazi seemed an obvious choice to replace Albert.  Again he was awful and in hindsight Kodjia would probably have been a better option.

Overall I thought Norwich were pretty neat and tidy, pressed well and moved the ball much better than us.  They didn't have many chances but were the better team.

When we had the ball we always looked under pressure and were never really comfortable in possession.  Taylor looked lost.  Hutton at least overlapped well and got in a few decent crosses one of which led to Tammy hitting the post.  His positioning on the first goal was awful and it wasn't the only time Rhodes was left unmarked from corners.

In the final analysis whilst Norwich were tidier there wasn't a great deal of difference in chances created.  We both scored from a corner.  Rhodes finished his chance and Tammy hit the post from his.  But we look miles from a promotion team and I only hope Smith can work his magic quickly.

Norwich won 2-1 it was close .
Maybe look again at analysis as villa outpassed Norwich and made more successful passes

10 Shots 8
2 Shots on target1
78% Pass Success 81%
46% Aerial Duel Success 54%
5 Dribbles won 4
18 Tackles 18
7 Corners 7
15 Fouls 13

Passes
482 Total 522
23 Crosses 28
0 Through Balls 1
67 Long Balls 68
392 Short Passes 425

Of our 8 shots villa had 4 from open play and 4 from set plays
50% shots came from inside the box
50% outside the box
A 12% conversion rate scored 1 goal.

45 % of match was in the middle of pitch

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:06:24 PM by footyskillz »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »
As I said in the match thread I don't buy the line that Nyland was at fault for the first. Rhodes had a free header on the edge of the 6 yard box, that's down to the marker not the keeper. Nyland should've stayed on his line or come out and clattered Rhodes so his decision making was poor but the goal is on Hutton for falling asleep.

I blame Hutton for the 2nd as well, left the winger with acres to receive the ball in and then was a bit half-arsed in trying to get over and stop the cross, from there Chester needed to do better but it was far too easy to get round us and get the cross in and you're always at risk if you let teams do that.

Nyland isn't great but it's not fair to blame him when the errors are happening in front of him. Both of our fullbacks are a liability right now and replacing them should be the priority for the first of January (or before if we're willing to give Bree and/or the kids a go).

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »
Hutton’s position for the second was criminal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal