collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Norwich City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 20873 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Norwich City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2018, 08:19:08 AM »
People really do go over the top on here when we lose. Yes some performances weren’t great but we all know where we are short (left back, centre half and keeper is poor). Norwich are on a roll so was always going to be a tough game. Injuries changed the game and we could have easily drew. Axel was superb and is going to be done player. Jack needs a rest though.

Did either keeper make a save? We were marginally better first half, them second half when Albert and Tammy went off.

Losing Tammy's height from the corner didn't help and Chester ought to be staked out for letting Rhodes get in front of him, utterly woeful from him.

We lost cohesion with the two injuries. Hogan didn't have the same awkward presence and didn't work anywhere near as hard.

El Ghazi played his first minutes since 1st September in a new league, yet he's awful according to the same few drama llamas. Jesus Christ.

Midfield was a problem for me; Thor and McGinn give us energy to drive the game on. Hourihane and Whelan do neither, even if Whelan can move the ball a bit quicker.

Plenty to work on, but for me it was a pretty poor game. You could hear a pin drop throughout most, which tells it's own story.

First time I'd seen Norwich and no idea who any of them are,but you could see they've got that confidence.

Chester does his job, we'd still be there now and neither keeper would have their gloves dirty.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2018, 08:20:53 AM »
The biggest issue Fistface left us with was at keeper. From the get-go, we could see that we'd traded a decent keeper (Steer) for 2 duds. It's from the keeper that defenders either reinforce their confidence or get the jitters.
Priority above all else is to sort that position out.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2018, 08:40:45 AM »
A bit harsh on Chester, it was a sublime bit of movement and finishing from Rhodes who is proven at this level.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2018, 08:58:38 AM »
A bit harsh on Chester, it was a sublime bit of movement and finishing from Rhodes who is proven at this level.
It was excellent from Rhodes we would be raving about that finish if it was one of ours. BUT it was a woeful effort from Chester to let it happen.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2018, 09:02:09 AM »
No it was awful defending.

He knows there's only one run Rhodes can make, he looks at him and just doesn't react to the cross.

There is no way Chester shouldn't be first to that ball. Utterly woeful defending and he knew it too.

People round me were shouting at Nyland. What games some people watch I have no idea.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »
Had time to sleep on it now. You can't underestimate just how unfortunate we were to lose Tammy & Albert in such quick succession. You just can't plan for that. As has been said we're crying out for fullbacks on both side. Hutton has finally passed his sell by date & Taylor just isn't good enough. The keeper is weak on crosses and that will cost us dearly in the long run. So those positions are priority number one to get sorted. A fit Jedinak would of been invaluable last night. Elmo is only consistent in his inconsistency. Going forward we need bring in Mcginn, Barney and Bolassie to replace Hourihane,Whelan and Elmo. Hogan seems totally lost so he should join the other misfits. We're stuck with the fullback and keeper situation till January. Last nights game come at us too quick especially with the form Norwich are showing. Even our normally boisterous following seemed bolloxed. So I guess  we were at the wrong place at the wrong time.
As ppl have said numerous times on here Rome wasn't built in a day. I fully expect that in a years time we'll be blowing away niggly ittle clubs like Norwich. UTV
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:31:24 AM by The Edge »

Offline Badsastard

« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2018, 09:27:03 AM »
A game that demonstrates just how much work needs to be done on the training ground and in the January window.

Nylund was dreadful for their first, Chester woeful for their second.

Tuanzebe had an excellent game.

Jack hasn't been at his best but I think some of the criticism is unfair due to the fact that our movement off the ball is generally none existent apart from overlapping full backs which he finds regularly.

I'm confident we have the right management set up to take us forward.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2018, 09:27:34 AM »
we've been saying we will be blowing away little clubs for years. And we never so. Plus that's a bit insulting to Norwich.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
SJM and THor back for Friday and Id bring
Bree in for RB  . Taylor looks so nervous and lost but unless Hutton replaces him there is no one .  Not sure how Adomah starts but with Yannick
playing PS4 and El Ronaldo looking poor maybe thats why , no idea why we have them and loan Green out.

Axel T was good.   Id like to see O'hare on the bench.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2018, 09:37:37 AM »
First half we seemed to be playing to Smiths plan. Closing opponents down when we didn't have the ball and covering any spaces that were opening up as they attacked, making sure there was always someone available for a pass when we did have the ball and trying to keep moving. We were worthy of the lead. Second half, they scored and it all went to pot. The plan seemed to go out of the window.
The other point that sprung out to me was the fact that 5 of those players that started will not be good enough to play his system effectively so that we get the best out of it. Hutton, Taylor, Hourahane, Whelan and Adomah are either not quick enough, don't have the speed of thought or just don't have the technique to play it. The jury is out for me on Nyland and Tuenzebe. The others were ok that started.
Putting Elmo at right back and Bolasie right wing might help. Playing the 2 in the middle that started Saturday should help and playing Kodjia left instead of Adomah might be better. We have no other option at left back though.
Hogan looked poor but he has done it before for Smith so I wouldn't right him off. El Khazi on the other hand found his best position last Saturday. The most half hearted looking fucker we've had since Carlton Cole and we've certainly had plenty in between. Fucking awful player.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2018, 09:39:02 AM »
we've been saying we will be blowing away little clubs for years. And we never so. Plus that's a bit insulting to Norwich.
Well we now have a structure in place that genuinely gives us a chance of doing that. Did you see all the arms flapping every time the ref gave us a decision? Did you hear all the yelling and booing at Tammy & Albert just because both stayed down injured? Abraham had a kick in his head ffs. Small club syndrome. So no I couldn't give a flying fuck about insulting them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:45:41 AM by The Edge »

Online Clampy

« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
Like it's been said elsewhere, we looked fine until we were forced to make the two changes. We seemed to lose our momentum and game plan. I thought he messed up bringing on Hogan instead of Kodja and McGinn was missed but sitting out a game hopefully will have done him good.

Overall, disappointed but not gutted.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2018, 09:47:55 AM »
No it was awful defending.

He knows there's only one run Rhodes can make, he looks at him and just doesn't react to the cross.

There is no way Chester shouldn't be first to that ball. Utterly woeful defending and he knew it too.

People round me were shouting at Nyland. What games some people watch I have no idea.

People shouting at Nyland because he is shit I suspect. He was at fault for the first but can't be blamed for the second. Though it's another notch against him.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:57 AM »
I wasn't allowed to watch the game but was supposed to go to a fado show in Lisbon. However, thanks to Mark Kelly, who kindly offered to meet up with us in a great little wine bar, for drinks before the depressing warbling began, SWMBO had such a good time tasting the delights of Douro that she decided to deaf the fado and we ended up having spatchcock churrasco chicken* in a restaurant instead. Result!**

* My arse is regretting it after I slathered on the piri-piri sauce.
** Not the Villa, obviously.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »
Overall looking at things was a tight affair and not much in it.
Norwich were given more time and opportunity in second half as villa dropped off energy wise but were never overawed .

What was disappointing the attacking threat or lack of it .

Midfield:
The main difference being the midfield 2 of Leitner  and Trybull knew how to play their position, get challenges in and play ball effectively.

Striker:
The other big difference was Jordan Rhodes was given opportunity and scored 2 goals .

Hogan had 4 touches of the ball

Away form?
It was noted that Dean Smiths Brentford hadn't won away this season .
It's been noted his subs at Brentford have been largely ineffective.

Subs?
The subs made Hogan, Elghazi and Kodjia created little impact and the in game tactics didn't work.

A chance again against QPR.

Summary
A good encouraging first half where best opportunity fell to villa and some incisive attacking play was shown at times.

The injuries, subs and lack of quality in movement and passing ball forward saw  little major attacking threat after going behind however there are some positive signs as players adapt and both teams didn't make the keepers work and was a fairly balanced match.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal