collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522019 times)

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14850 on: October 17, 2021, 02:58:58 PM »
One thing I really don't understand is why Tuanzebe (not our player) is getting picked ahead of Hause (our player), when there is so little difference between them.

Think I heard on a podcast that Axel was picked over Hause because we thought Jimenez was starting?
But I'd have started Hause anyway.

Offline nigel

« Reply #14851 on: October 17, 2021, 03:00:32 PM »
Why bring Young on? Bring El Ghazi to switch shape bring Sanson on to add a 2nd 8. Bring Hause on to to push Tianzebe wide. All sorts he could have done.

If we don't play 433 against Arsenal, he wants kicking in the nuts.

It easy with hindsight, though.
We were 2-0 up, although we weren’t coasting we certainly didn’t look troubled, and every change made sense.
For me, that defeat was down to the players.

Offline nigel

« Reply #14852 on: October 17, 2021, 03:02:20 PM »
One thing I really don't understand is why Tuanzebe (not our player) is getting picked ahead of Hause (our player), when there is so little difference between them.

Think I heard on a podcast that Axel was picked over Hause because we thought Jimenez was starting?
But I'd have started Hause anyway.

I agree.
If we continue with the 3 Hause has to be the central one.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14853 on: October 17, 2021, 03:03:25 PM »
He has gambled the farm on 3 5 2 and squeezing Ings and Watkins up front and Tunzabe at the back.
I think he has got it wrong and it will be interesting to see if he is prepared to change it.
If he doesn’t I think he will be in trouble.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14854 on: October 17, 2021, 03:05:55 PM »
The big problem with our central defenders Mings Konsa Tuanzebe Hause Is that none of them are comfortable with the ball their technical ability is poor

When they start passing it round at the back it is a disaster waiting to happen none of them are good enough to do it
But when you play three central defenders you’re asking them to play more football further up the pitch which is a disaster because they simply aren’t good enough

Konsa is the best of them because he knows he’s not a ball player so does the simple things well and concentrates  on defending

Mings thinks he is Franco Baresi and we are asking him to play like him which is  ridiculous he is so poor at distribution and control of the Football that he just needs to copy what Konsa does

Hause is actually the worst of the lot for technical ability he is decent in the air and that’s about it, if he is the answer then we are truly fucked, He is nowhere near a top 6/8 central defender

The last thing you need is more players on the pitch with low technical ability and that’s what you get playing three  central defenders
That’s why in the last 10 minutes yesterday no matter how many defenders and holding midfield we had on the pitch  we went to pieces because our technical ability in that area is very suspect

McGinn Luiz Buendia Were the key yesterday as soon as that changed we were in trouble
Obviously Smith’s hand is tied with Traore Bailey Sansom injured But playing three central defenders with no technical ability is not the way forward

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 03:08:41 PM by john e »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14855 on: October 17, 2021, 03:27:18 PM »
we're in a similar situation to Southampton were; when they surprised many outsiders and sacked Adkins and bought in Poch. Most people criticised it but people in and around the club knew it was the time to make a change to progress

I would say more Leicester tbh. Look at where they were in the table when they sacked Claude Puel. 12th or 13th despite having all of Schmeichel, Vardy, Tielemans, Ndidi, Vardy and also Maguire and Chilwell in the squad. Their board knew they were underachieving and so got in a manager who could get more out of a tune out of that squad and certainly Rodgers more than justified that faith in last 2 and a bit years.

It's not easy but this idea Dean is some incredible manager and there's not about 10-20 attainable managers in europe who are as good if not better than him at certain aspects of management is a bit misguided I think.

That said I would prefer all that to happen next summer rather than mid season which is always a big gamble so he's got this season for me unless he makes a complete mess of next two months and we hardly win a game.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #14856 on: October 17, 2021, 05:00:45 PM »
Dump tbe 5 at the back dean ffs its shit and isnt working

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #14857 on: October 17, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »
He has gambled the farm on 3 5 2 and squeezing Ings and Watkins up front and Tunzabe at the back.
I think he has got it wrong and it will be interesting to see if he is prepared to change it.

We’ve probably had differences on Smith, but I do agree with this. If we stick with the same formation for Arsenal and West Ham it will be bordering  on belligerence. If Baileys fit for the next game, i would play a front 3 of him and Buendia either side if Watkins or Ings. If Baileys not fit, and Traores not fir, id consider playing Watkins wide.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14858 on: October 17, 2021, 06:29:46 PM »

We’ve probably had differences on Smith, but I do agree with this. If we stick with the same formation for Arsenal and West Ham it will be bordering  on belligerence. If Baileys fit for the next game, i would play a front 3 of him and Buendia either side if Watkins or Ings. If Baileys not fit, and Traores not fir, id consider playing Watkins wide.
agree

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #14859 on: October 17, 2021, 06:32:39 PM »
I would only think about replacing him if we really do drop like a stone and look like relegation fodder, but I doubt that will happen.

This kind of thinking scares the shit out of me. It's something we've done under Ellis, the latter years of Lerner and of course Xia with Steve Bruce. We no longer have deadwood owners who are happy just to see us in the PL. If we can't be ambitious now we never will be. Dean inherited the most expensive assembled squad in the history of the Championship, he's been given more money than almost every PL manager since our return. Of course he had a major rebuild to do but he was supported to the tune of close to £150m and despite staying up by the skin of our teeth it took the Covid break for him to find the time to reorganise the defence that was the second worst in the league.

As I said yesterday, I love everything about him and he's absolutely perfect for us with one exception; the football. Maybe I'm not seeing it but three years in and I'm still struggling to see how he wants us to play other than work hard, run around a lot and get McGinn to use his bum. The other obvious thing is we generally do well against the top teams when we press and counter yet we really struggle against the midtable/lower teams.

Admittedly, 8 games in is nothing and it really shouldn't be a concern but we still have the post-Christmas record from last season lingering in the background.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14860 on: October 17, 2021, 06:37:24 PM »
Have the Accademy teams now switched to 3 5 2 ?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #14861 on: October 17, 2021, 06:40:06 PM »
I would only think about replacing him if we really do drop like a stone and look like relegation fodder, but I doubt that will happen.

This kind of thinking scares the shit out of me. It's something we've done under Ellis, the latter years of Lerner and of course Xia with Steve Bruce. We no longer have deadwood owners who are happy just to see us in the PL. If we can't be ambitious now we never will be. Dean inherited the most expensive assembled squad in the history of the Championship, he's been given more money than almost every PL manager since our return. Of course he had a major rebuild to do but he was supported to the tune of close to £150m and despite staying up by the skin of our teeth it took the Covid break for him to find the time to reorganise the defence that was the second worst in the league.

As I said yesterday, I love everything about him and he's absolutely perfect for us with one exception; the football. Maybe I'm not seeing it but three years in and I'm still struggling to see how he wants us to play other than work hard, run around a lot and get McGinn to use his bum. The other obvious thing is we generally do well against the top teams when we press and counter yet we really struggle against the midtable/lower teams.

Admittedly, 8 games in is nothing and it really shouldn't be a concern but we still have the post-Christmas record from last season lingering in the background.

Yes, well if you read the rest of what I’ve posted rather than focusing on that bit it has a much different ‘kind of thinking’ to what you’re suggesting.

To comment on some of the other posts re formation I too hope he goes back to 4-3-3 and rotates Ings, Watkins, Buendia and Bailey when all fit, with Traore and El Ghazi as the back up / fresh legs.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #14862 on: October 17, 2021, 06:53:48 PM »
I really hope he can turn it round.  Think he has so many good qualities - just something doesnt seem quite right since the end of last season.

I am not sure if it is the team lacks leaders -  other than Mings and Emi, no one is vocal.

Also no one can retain the ball. 

I just worry that he won't be given the time to sort it.  I know people are saying we are a mid-table team, but I really don't think the players, board or management think that.

Clearly - the stated aim isn't to bob around and not have anything to play for come each march. 

Emi2 didn't chose us over arsenal for that, Bailey didn't buy into that, and if that's the case why would Ings bother leaving Southampton for us. 

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #14863 on: October 17, 2021, 06:57:25 PM »
It depends. If there is real ambition from the owners then despite all of the good stuff he’s done, the jury is out as to whether he has the ability to compete with the leagues top coaches. If the intention is just to sit in mid table then so far he’s shown that he’s good enough to do that now the squad has been developed sufficiently. And if it is the case we owe him the chance to keep his job considering he’s got us there. I would only think about replacing him if we really do drop like a stone and look like relegation fodder, but I doubt that will happen.

From the owners poi t of view they will want more ethan that. They will progress each season. So far he has done that. This season looks as if he has a lot to do to get higher than last season. I hope he can but think he has reached his top of his ability as a manager, not just on yesterday though.

Ok, but how do you know what the owners want? They say this and that but when you look at what has been done in the last transfer window it was debateable whether the squad had improved. Yes Grealish threw a spanner in the works and we’ll never know what we would have done had he stayed put, whether a couple of those attacking players would have come in for example. But was it Smith that decided what we did? Was he restricted? It wasn’t that difficult to arrive where we did last season with what was spent and yes, Smith might struggle to push on further even with backing but I think the squad we have is by no means guaranteed for top half and if we’re not going to see the ambition from above we might as well stick with him. Time will tell on that.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #14864 on: October 17, 2021, 07:08:40 PM »
It depends. If there is real ambition from the owners then despite all of the good stuff he’s done, the jury is out as to whether he has the ability to compete with the leagues top coaches. If the intention is just to sit in mid table then so far he’s shown that he’s good enough to do that now the squad has been developed sufficiently. And if it is the case we owe him the chance to keep his job considering he’s got us there. I would only think about replacing him if we really do drop like a stone and look like relegation fodder, but I doubt that will happen.

From the owners poi t of view they will want more ethan that. They will progress each season. So far he has done that. This season looks as if he has a lot to do to get higher than last season. I hope he can but think he has reached his top of his ability as a manager, not just on yesterday though.

Ok, but how do you know what the owners want? They say this and that but when you look at what has been done in the last transfer window it was debateable whether the squad had improved. Yes Grealish threw a spanner in the works and we’ll never know what we would have done had he stayed put, whether a couple of those attacking players would have come in for example. But was it Smith that decided what we did? Was he restricted? It wasn’t that difficult to arrive where we did last season with what was spent and yes, Smith might struggle to push on further even with backing but I think the squad we have is by no means guaranteed for top half and if we’re not going to see the ambition from above we might as well stick with him. Time will tell on that.
I think most people would look at the squad and think it is top half.  We have two proven PL Strikers, Luiz and McGinn are both considered regularly linked to "bigger" clubs.  Mings is an England International and Targett, Konsa are regularly tipped as "best non capped" players, and EMI is one of the goalkeepers in the world.  Trorae and El Ghazi both scored 7 or 8 goals last season, and Baily and Emi2 are no mugs.  Im not saying were top 6 - but I think finishing below 10th would be a poor result.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal