collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522046 times)

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14820 on: October 17, 2021, 11:16:42 AM »
After what he has done over the past three years, Smith has earned the right to take us through this season. Whether he is then the man to take us further is up for question. The fans should stand by him at this time - a bit of loyalty is in order for now.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #14821 on: October 17, 2021, 11:23:52 AM »
What do the the stats for 2021 look like? Probably not good in terms of league wins for Smith.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #14822 on: October 17, 2021, 11:26:15 AM »
A bit harsh blaming the subs Smith made. All three who were replaced were clearly fatigued/injured. Nakamba has done ok lately. Ramsey for Buendia should have given us more legs in midfield and another expected one. Young for Cash, understand that in hindsight bringing in Hause might have been better for defending set pieces but surely the reason we brought in Young was to help see out games with his experience.

To quibble with the starting line up, I thought playing just two in midfield with Buendia was a bit risky but it worked well for the most part. Tuanzebe didn't do anywhere near enough with the ball to warrant his inclusion but bar that Traore run did Wolves look like scoring until late on? For me, I want to move away from 352 but it's more that Ings/Watkins clearly aren't working and our full backs are providing very little threat out wide. Cash wasted some amount of ball yesterday.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14823 on: October 17, 2021, 11:27:50 AM »
Why do you keep Ings and Watkins on when you are 2 nil up?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #14824 on: October 17, 2021, 11:29:01 AM »
Why bring Young on? Bring El Ghazi to switch shape bring Sanson on to add a 2nd 8. Bring Hause on to to push Tianzebe wide. All sorts he could have done.

If we don't play 433 against Arsenal, he wants kicking in the nuts.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #14825 on: October 17, 2021, 11:30:32 AM »
After what he has done over the past three years, Smith has earned the right to take us through this season. Whether he is then the man to take us further is up for question. The fans should stand by him at this time - a bit of loyalty is in order for now.

Is he going to improve us and take us to the next level, i.e. European football. It’s what he has done but you have to look forward

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14826 on: October 17, 2021, 11:33:33 AM »

Is he going to improve us and take us to the next level, i.e. European football. It’s what he has done but you have to look forward

I think that's too much to ask for this season given all the disruption in the summer and that's still continued into the season.

However I'm looking for challenge for 8-10th. We were in that range or higher for most of last season and you don't have to be that good to finish in those positions.

Bottom half finish wouldn't be acceptable in my book and I really can't see owners giving him another season especially as Newcastle will be spending stupid money in next 12 months so they'll be a direct rival again very shortly.

Offline Ads

« Reply #14827 on: October 17, 2021, 11:34:35 AM »
Depends who the replacement would be for me. If its taking a punt then absolutely not. If its some Champions League bod then yes.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #14828 on: October 17, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »
Depends who the replacement would be for me. If its taking a punt then absolutely not. If its some Champions League bod then yes.

Pretty much where I am. It's sentiment keeping him in a job at the moment. Last 38 games we'd be about 14th. That's nowhere near good enough. The formation thing is something you have to adapt. 3 at the back against Wolves and Spurs wasn't the right was to go.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #14829 on: October 17, 2021, 11:44:24 AM »
Why bring Young on? Bring El Ghazi to switch shape bring Sanson on to add a 2nd 8. Bring Hause on to to push Tianzebe wide. All sorts he could have done.

If we aren't bringing on Young for Cash in that situation yesterday then there's no point in him being in the squad. Hause on sure, but you are making two changes there instead of one. Sanson, maybe and switch to a back four but how fit is Sanson. AEG at that stage would have been a mad one.

I thought Smith made a Southgate esque mess of his subs and timing of them at Spurs but yesterday I'd be more pointing the finger at the senior players who allowed that collapse late on. Starting with the captain.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14830 on: October 17, 2021, 11:46:52 AM »
It's weird though. After the win at Old Trafford, people on here were talking about him for the England job. Today, some people want rid of him. It's the way it is I suppose.

Offline Ads

« Reply #14831 on: October 17, 2021, 11:55:44 AM »
I know I didn't. He bears the brunt of that utter shambles and persistent weakness. It's holding us back and will continue to do so and eventually, he will lose his job over it.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #14832 on: October 17, 2021, 12:13:33 PM »
Yeah, we are lower mid table. Get a great result.one week and follow it up with Spurs and yesterday.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #14833 on: October 17, 2021, 12:22:35 PM »

If we aren't bringing on Young for Cash in that situation yesterday then there's no point in him being in the squad. Hause on sure, but you are making two changes there instead of one. Sanson, maybe and switch to a back four but how fit is Sanson. AEG at that stage would have been a mad one.

I thought Smith made a Southgate esque mess of his subs and timing of them at Spurs but yesterday I'd be more pointing the finger at the senior players who allowed that collapse late on. Starting with the captain.

None of the substitutions for me yesterday were a problem.
People just use hindsight to blame the boss and that's fine if people want to think that way.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #14834 on: October 17, 2021, 12:27:29 PM »
It depends. If there is real ambition from the owners then despite all of the good stuff he’s done, the jury is out as to whether he has the ability to compete with the leagues top coaches. If the intention is just to sit in mid table then so far he’s shown that he’s good enough to do that now the squad has been developed sufficiently. And if it is the case we owe him the chance to keep his job considering he’s got us there. I would only think about replacing him if we really do drop like a stone and look like relegation fodder, but I doubt that will happen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal