collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523468 times)

Offline Big Ming

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14835 on: October 17, 2021, 12:30:54 PM »
Another lower mid-table finish coming up.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #14836 on: October 17, 2021, 12:31:28 PM »
Why bring Young on? Bring El Ghazi to switch shape bring Sanson on to add a 2nd 8. Bring Hause on to to push Tianzebe wide. All sorts he could have done.

If we don't play 433 against Arsenal, he wants kicking in the nuts.

If we aren't bringing on Young for Cash in that situation yesterday then there's no point in him being in the squad. Hause on sure, but you are making two changes there instead of one. Sanson, maybe and switch to a back four but how fit is Sanson. AEG at that stage would have been a mad one.

I thought Smith made a Southgate esque mess of his subs and timing of them at Spurs but yesterday I'd be more pointing the finger at the senior players who allowed that collapse late on. Starting with the captain.

None of the substitutions for me yesterday were a problem.
People just use hindsight to blame the boss and that's fine if people want to think that way.

I agree with that. All 3 had to come off, and all 3 replacements were the most obvious replacement I think. With hindsight we could have gone Hause and shuffled Ezri across to RB but I would probably have gone for Young at the time.

It’s more the game management from the players that was so disappointing - experienced players lost their heads, there were three opportunities to clear the equaliser, lots of scuffed clearances, general panic etc.

I think a big problem with evaluating Smith is agreeing what a reasonable expectation this year is. I think around 10-12th is reasonable, because that’s where we finished last year and we had negative net spend in the summer.

I would love it if we had invested another £50m on a centre mid, like it seems Smith wanted, but we didn’t. So I don’t really see why we should expect to kick on to 6th-7th-8th this year.

But obviously quite a lot of people have a different view and have that expectation, and I can understand that he doesn’t look likely to succeed on that basis
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 12:33:26 PM by Vegas »

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #14837 on: October 17, 2021, 12:35:30 PM »
I don't think that the concern for Dean is our expectations for the season. The fact that the owners felt that 11th place last season was a "disappointment" should worry him more.

11th clearly isn't going to cut it.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #14838 on: October 17, 2021, 12:38:07 PM »
Obviously. But in terms of whether fans want Dean in or out, it is relevant.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #14839 on: October 17, 2021, 12:55:56 PM »
There was nothing wrong with the subs yesterday in terms of personnel. Luiz and Buendia had to be substituted and  Nakamba and Ramsey were the right players to come on. Timing was also correct. The only concern I have is when Young came on  for Cash. They were waiting to take a corner and I remember shouting "do not sub before the corner" and we failed to deal with the corner properly leading to their equaliser.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14840 on: October 17, 2021, 01:21:19 PM »
Depends who the replacement would be for me. If its taking a punt then absolutely not. If its some Champions League bod then yes.

Absolutely this
I’d love to replace Smith with a top flight manager someone that could take us into the European football
But I’m struggling to see who that is
with every manager there is going to be a risk attached

Tuchel and Nagelsmann were the up and coming managers two or three years ago
They were inexperienced but you knew they were going to manage at the top level at some point
I don’t know who compares to them in European football now as I’m not as clued up as others but that’s the sort of appointment you need to make before they become an unobtainable but even then it’s a risk

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #14841 on: October 17, 2021, 01:24:06 PM »
we're in a similar situation to Southampton were; when they surprised many outsiders and sacked Adkins and bought in Poch. Most people criticised it but people in and around the club knew it was the time to make a change to progress

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #14842 on: October 17, 2021, 01:35:54 PM »
I don't think that the concern for Dean is our expectations for the season. The fact that the owners felt that 11th place last season was a "disappointment" should worry him more.

11th clearly isn't going to cut it.

When did our owners say this?

There is some mitigation,injuries, international call ups where there’s been players arrested and overnight flights the day of the game. However, the stat that concerns me is 3 goals conceded in three out of our eight games.

Change for changes sake doesn’t work - we saw that with The Two Scottish managers, tactics, some French bloke and a champions league winning manager … a steady decline into championship mediocrity, worrying about relegation to the third tier, rather than a realistic expectation of European football in a year or so.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14843 on: October 17, 2021, 01:47:43 PM »
The difference there is that the manager changes were against the backdrop of an ever worsening ownership structure. Now we’ve got a stable, switched on, invested and crucially, rich, pair of owners. We need a manager capable of taking us to the next level. Smith in my opinion is not that man.

Offline john e

« Reply #14844 on: October 17, 2021, 01:51:48 PM »
The difference there is that the manager changes were against the backdrop of an ever worsening ownership structure. Now we’ve got a stable, switched on, invested and crucially, rich, pair of owners. We need a manager capable of taking us to the next level. Smith in my opinion is not that man.

My only worry is that when we were doing badly in the first season back
There was rumours that we were looking around for a possible replacement
Obviously no one can be sure if they were true or not but the news that came out was that Purslow was in favour of Sean Dyche The others I can’t remember but they were pretty underwhelming British good safe hands type jobbies

I hope if and when that time comes we are far more ambitious than that
Which is basically what you’ve just said

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #14845 on: October 17, 2021, 02:00:16 PM »
Think some perspective is needed. We're a mid table side, and are getting the sort of results that mid table sides get. Consistent sides tend to be at the extremities of the table - top or bottom - depending on which type of consistent they are!

I suspect we'll be looking at more than just the league table. Are we generally getting better or worse results than expected? Are the players we've got improving or getting worse? That type of thing. Because that will tell you a lot more than the league table at this stage, which will be heavily influenced by good/bad luck in a couple of games.

For me, Dean's done more than enough to be given this season to show himself. We have to be moving up the table, and if it looks like we're going backwards then absolutely we should be in the market for a top manager. But I really don't think we're anywhere near that point right now, because to me we're in quite a strong position right now - mid table despite some bad luck with injuries, and bringing younger players through in to the first team squad as we're doing it.

Offline john e

« Reply #14846 on: October 17, 2021, 02:04:21 PM »
Think some perspective is needed. We're a mid table side, and are getting the sort of results that mid table sides get. Consistent sides tend to be at the extremities of the table - top or bottom - depending on which type of consistent they are!

I suspect we'll be looking at more than just the league table. Are we generally getting better or worse results than expected? Are the players we've got improving or getting worse? That type of thing. Because that will tell you a lot more than the league table at this stage, which will be heavily influenced by good/bad luck in a couple of games.

For me, Dean's done more than enough to be given this season to show himself. We have to be moving up the table, and if it looks like we're going backwards then absolutely we should be in the market for a top manager. But I really don't think we're anywhere near that point right now, because to me we're in quite a strong position right now - mid table despite some bad luck with injuries, and bringing younger players through in to the first team squad as we're doing it.

I think our squad especially when they are all fit are better than mid table

I’ve said this before I’m not dumbing down anymore just because we aren’t getting good results doesn’t mean to say that we have to settle for a mid table finish
we should be pushing for European places it’s a simple as that

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14847 on: October 17, 2021, 02:21:18 PM »
The defence has gone completely to pot. Three games already this season where we've conceded three times, and we're averaging 1.25 goals a game against. That's despite playing three at the back and not really missing any defensive or midfield options due to injury. Not good enough.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #14848 on: October 17, 2021, 02:27:22 PM »
It depends. If there is real ambition from the owners then despite all of the good stuff he’s done, the jury is out as to whether he has the ability to compete with the leagues top coaches. If the intention is just to sit in mid table then so far he’s shown that he’s good enough to do that now the squad has been developed sufficiently. And if it is the case we owe him the chance to keep his job considering he’s got us there. I would only think about replacing him if we really do drop like a stone and look like relegation fodder, but I doubt that will happen.

From the owners poi t of view they will want more ethan that. They will progress each season. So far he has done that. This season looks as if he has a lot to do to get higher than last season. I hope he can but think he has reached his top of his ability as a manager, not just on yesterday though.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #14849 on: October 17, 2021, 02:47:27 PM »
One thing I really don't understand is why Tuanzebe (not our player) is getting picked ahead of Hause (our player), when there is so little difference between them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal