collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522548 times)

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #13710 on: August 05, 2021, 10:53:52 PM »
Finally Smith can play his own game and not have to Taylor for a unique talent. So that's with high tempo and pressing. Remember  the last 10 minutes Vs Fulham that's  a perfect example with the wide forwards of Bailey and Buendia getting goals and a threat for a whole 90 minutes.
That's what I'm hoping
Counter attack and with the ball going forward very strong

Possibly your best anti-Grealish post. It's very true.

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #13711 on: August 05, 2021, 11:06:42 PM »
Different scale but Smith has already cut his teeth on having his best players leave every year.

Same goes for Lange too.

I've got faith in him but another season like last won't be good enough for the board. We need to constantly be improving.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #13712 on: August 06, 2021, 12:42:03 AM »
So how much latitude does Deano get if we don't progress next season? Personally I think some of the predictions over on the realistic expectations thread aren't that realistic. I would be delighted with maintaining last season's points total as it stands.

I agree that some are unrealistic and I would be pleasantly surprised with a top 6 but he HAS to better last seasons points total. I don't think the owners will accept no progression and rightly so.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #13713 on: August 06, 2021, 12:46:44 AM »
We wouldn't have accepted no improvement if Grealish had stayed. We have publicly announced that we've replaced him, so no reason why we should accept no improvement now.

There is no real difference between 11th and 8th except for a few extra quid so the "improvement" should consist of European qualification. Im fairly sure that will be our target.

I don't, for a second, think that Smith will be sacked if we don't achieve that. It would, however, likely be the first time he'd failed to meet or exceed a target since taking over.

He will only be under pressure if we find ourselves spending serious lengths of time in or around the relegation battle.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #13714 on: August 06, 2021, 01:20:05 AM »
I'd have thought Smith will be relishing the season ahead. He's got some serious depth now in the forward positions, we can change games from the bench with what we have.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #13715 on: August 06, 2021, 07:42:06 AM »
I'd have thought Smith will be relishing the season ahead. He's got some serious depth now in the forward positions, we can change games from the bench with what we have.

He does. Im excjted to see what we can do now we dont have to rely on just grealish!

We have some serious talent

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #13716 on: August 06, 2021, 07:55:37 AM »
Always been a huge supporter of Smith, think despite some sticky patches, he’s largely done a great job. I do think despite losing Grealish, the new signings and big outlay add pressure to him. I also think our relatively easy start on paper at least adds pressure as well. Really we should be looking at minimum 7 to 9 points from the opening three games, but as a newly promoted club at home Watford will be chomping at the bit and Brentford always give us problems and there is the added scenario of Thomas Frank trying to put one over on his old gaffer. This all with a lot of new players trying to gel and find their feet, with little if any game time together.
There are opportunities for banana skins and if we don’t get off to a good start before tougher (on paper) games to come, the post Grealish pressure builds immediately.
Obviously hope none of this plays out and we hit the ground running.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #13717 on: August 06, 2021, 08:10:17 AM »
Always been a huge supporter of Smith, think despite some sticky patches, he’s largely done a great job. I do think despite losing Grealish, the new signings and big outlay add pressure to him. I also think our relatively easy start on paper at least adds pressure as well. Really we should be looking at minimum 7 to 9 points from the opening three games, but as a newly promoted club at home Watford will be chomping at the bit and Brentford always give us problems and there is the added scenario of Thomas Frank trying to put one over on his old gaffer. This all with a lot of new players trying to gel and find their feet, with little if any game time together.
There are opportunities for banana skins and if we don’t get off to a good start before tougher (on paper) games to come, the post Grealish pressure builds immediately.
I agree, Villa have to improve on last season.
I think Smith needs to have us in contention for European places by January and the board can go again as needed in the transfer market.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #13718 on: August 06, 2021, 08:12:13 AM »
I agree, Villa have to improve on last season.
I think Smith needs to have us in contention for European places by January and the board can go again as needed in the transfer market.

Yea I’d agree with that

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #13719 on: August 06, 2021, 09:08:25 AM »
Its good to read the liverpool echo saying they are worried about us closing the gap with them.

If you look at our team its young and only going to get better. Liverpools is aging they could drop off in few years if they dont invest heavily

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #13720 on: August 06, 2021, 09:23:10 AM »
We had Grealish for years before Smith turned up and were a laughing stock in the 2nd tier.

It's under him that Grealish realised his potential, and the same with so many others, finally reversing the trend of players joining, disappointing, and then leaving for less.

The single most important factor in our rejuvenation is still here, and he's now armed to the teeth.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #13721 on: August 06, 2021, 10:03:40 AM »
We had Grealish for years before Smith turned up and were a laughing stock in the 2nd tier.

It's under him that Grealish realised his potential, and the same with so many others, finally reversing the trend of players joining, disappointing, and then leaving for less.

The single most important factor in our rejuvenation is still here, and he's now armed to the teeth.

Agreed. He’s risen to every challenge so far in his time here (and before, otherwise he wouldn’t have got the job) and I am confident that he’ll continue in the same way.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #13722 on: August 06, 2021, 10:16:49 AM »
I just hope people make allowances given we'll have a whole new midfield to integrate rather than mentally counting how much it cost.. Could well be choppy for us at the start of the season with players settling in. It could go the other way of course with teams not knowing how to combat a Ratboy-less Villa.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #13723 on: August 06, 2021, 10:16:52 AM »
Different scale but Smith has already cut his teeth on having his best players leave every year.

Same goes for Lange too.

I've got faith in him but another season like last won't be good enough for the board. We need to constantly be improving.
I agree 100%

Offline Allan C

« Reply #13724 on: August 06, 2021, 10:19:39 AM »

Yes I totally agree with this. I posted on here several times last season when some were extremely critical of Smith that the wheels came off for us when Covid hit the squad. We never looked the same after that. We also had a paper thin squad with no scope to rest key players. That will be different this season

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal