collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1534480 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #13740 on: August 06, 2021, 05:21:49 PM »
Not normally a stato but on the back of Purslows comments I've had a look at the stats for the three replacements and they are pretty eye watering. Combined 36 goals and 28 assists vs Ratboy 6 goals and 10 assists.  That's excluding Watkins. I think we have played a blinder.

I'm really pissed off with Greasy Ratboy, but I wouldn't say it's really fair to compare one player's output with three!

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #13741 on: August 06, 2021, 05:33:00 PM »
Well if you want a direct comparison  let's take Ratboy vs Buendia in the Championship.
Ratboy 2018/19 goals 6 assists 7
Buedia 2020/21 goals 15 assists 16

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #13742 on: August 06, 2021, 05:38:37 PM »
Not normally a stato but on the back of Purslows comments I've had a look at the stats for the three replacements and they are pretty eye watering. Combined 36 goals and 28 assists vs Ratboy 6 goals and 10 assists.  That's excluding Watkins. I think we have played a blinder.

I'm really pissed off with Greasy Ratboy, but I wouldn't say it's really fair to compare one player's output with three!

If you put it in the context of all 3 being a combined replacement for the previous No. 10 though it becomes relevant. last season when the previous no. 10 was missing for any reason Villa would struggles. This year if any of Ings, Buenvida or Bailey are missing for any reason hopefully the others will be able to pick up the slack.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #13743 on: August 06, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »

Maybe, but the club has chosen to replace him with those three so there’s some logic to the comparison. There’s no doubt we’ve lost a huge talent but we should be better balanced next season. I think the team had got into a habit, on occasion, of leaving it all to one man, we’ve now got three new players hopefully motivated to prove that they can fill the gap. I was really pissed off earlier in the week as it became apparent that he was going but I’ve finished it feeling genuinely optimistic for the new season.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13744 on: August 06, 2021, 05:45:13 PM »

Maybe, but the club has chosen to replace him with those three so there’s some logic to the comparison. There’s no doubt we’ve lost a huge talent but we should be better balanced next season. I think the team had got into a habit, on occasion, of leaving it all to one man, we’ve now got three new players hopefully motivated to prove that they can fill the gap. I was really pissed off earlier in the week as it became apparent that he was going but I’ve finished it feeling genuinely optimistic for the new season.

Same here.

Offline Sdwbvf

« Reply #13745 on: August 06, 2021, 05:48:13 PM »
I'm optimistic now. Losing that bloke means that we have to play without him every week so there won't be a drop-off of form when he's out.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #13746 on: August 06, 2021, 05:49:04 PM »
It's an illustration of how often the sum of the parts is far greater than the individual.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #13747 on: August 06, 2021, 05:56:37 PM »
I'm optimistic now. Losing that bloke means that we have to play without him every week so there won't be a drop-off of form when he's out.

Well, it would be quite hard to drop below our form without him last year.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #13748 on: August 06, 2021, 06:08:32 PM »
For no real reason at all other than gut instinct, I think this summer will turn out to be monumental in more ways than one.

Grealish will either hit Messi-type heights, if he excels. I'd worry tho that he's kind of like the reverse McGrath. Dodgy legs, and whilst we to a certain extent tolerated his indiscretions, he'll be cut far less slack there. Potentially GOAT, potential scapegoat.

For Deano, more importantly, he now has a squad almost entirely of his own building - is it just Steer & SJM predate him now? He's not got to pander to any one player, or set the team's goals to suit one individual.  We're also in a position now where we've got a decent PL squad and are able to being in proven quality if we want, rather than just rely entirely on picking up bargains. Not that I think we'll completely stop the latter, but that's now not the only option.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #13749 on: August 06, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
Hourihane, AEG and Davis too

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #13750 on: August 06, 2021, 07:35:00 PM »

Indeed, we've bought really well - but adding the stats up from three players and comparing them to one player, only really works if we can start playing with 13 on the field.

It's like signing three goalkeepers who between them had more clean sheets than Emi, and then insisting we're therefore better off without him.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #13751 on: August 06, 2021, 08:01:42 PM »
I'd suggest you re read the post in full and subsequent comments rather than trotting out a load of sarcastic bollocks.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #13752 on: August 06, 2021, 08:29:25 PM »

Indeed, we've bought really well - but adding the stats up from three players and comparing them to one player, only really works if we can start playing with 13 on the field.

It's like signing three goalkeepers who between them had more clean sheets than Emi, and then insisting we're therefore better off without him.

Best way is to take the combined Grealish/El Ghazi/Barkley stats and compare with Ings, Bailey and Buendia

Not sure how they stack up, but suspect there are more goals and assists there.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #13753 on: August 06, 2021, 08:34:25 PM »
Well if you want a direct comparison  let's take Ratboy vs Buendia in the Championship.
Ratboy 2018/19 goals 6 assists 7
Buedia 2020/21 goals 15 assists 16

No point comparing anyone to JG really, his stats barely scratch the surface of his influence on the team. But Buendia really tore the championship apart last season. Also got seven assists the season before in the prem in the worst team in the division. Strong as a bull on the ball. Brave enough maybe going for the number 10 jersey but good sign of self belief too.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #13754 on: August 06, 2021, 08:36:10 PM »
Just hoping the team doesnt take too long to gel.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal