collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523081 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12930 on: May 16, 2021, 09:51:23 PM »
I can see where the criticism is coming from and the recent form has been a bit of a concern, but I do think a lot of that has been down to having to rely on players who aren't quite up to it more than we would have liked to. 

The only way I would even consider changing managers in the summer would be if there was a really big name, top class manager lined up as a replacement. 

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #12931 on: May 16, 2021, 10:27:02 PM »
Not that I am advocating for replacing Smith, but in a world where Everton can hire Carlo Ancelotti I don't think we need be so humble about what our choice of manager might be. No more Curbishleys and Holloways in the rumour pages if the time does come.

And he just lost to one of the worst teams to ever grace the Division.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #12932 on: May 16, 2021, 10:28:01 PM »
We needed Traore and Sanson to be good. Sadly they are no better than what we already had.

I agree, Sanson did fuck all today.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #12933 on: May 16, 2021, 10:33:03 PM »
Currently only Tuchel and Guardiola less likely to be next Premier League manager to leave. Smith 80/1.

Rightly so in my view.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #12934 on: May 16, 2021, 10:56:31 PM »
We needed Traore and Sanson to be good. Sadly they are no better than what we already had.

I agree, Sanson did fuck all today.

Normally players improve the longer they’ve been out of the side. Not Sanson, he’s got progressively worse. The way he hasn’t performed today and in our last few games is diabolical.

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #12935 on: May 16, 2021, 11:12:48 PM »
That 2nd half performance should make Smith very nervous. That was well into diabolical territory.

He will no doubt blame the players

He'd be in a long queue wouldn't he?

Offline Hockley Lion

« Reply #12936 on: May 16, 2021, 11:15:50 PM »
Maybe he needs another coach, or someone on the staff needs replacing, like how Ferguson would hire Queiroz and the like when he felt he was going stale. Someone to help tactical management. I mean, if it's good enough for Ferguson then it's good enough for Smith.

He has got more than enough coaches. Needs a look in the mirror.  Form guide over the last 15 has us fourth bottom. Relegation form

4th bottom isn't relegation form though is it.

Offline Hockley Lion

« Reply #12937 on: May 16, 2021, 11:41:04 PM »
Maybe he needs another coach, or someone on the staff needs replacing, like how Ferguson would hire Queiroz and the like when he felt he was going stale. Someone to help tactical management. I mean, if it's good enough for Ferguson then it's good enough for Smith.

Ferguson for all his tea cup tossing bravado was also light years ahead of others in terms of what it took to run a massive club. That is coaching, analytics, squad management and the psychological warfare against all others in getting that edge. I don’t think Dean Smith is broad enough mentally to grasp all of that.

Bit of a daft comparison isn't it, Smith against the greatest ever. Its like thrashing the car sat in your drive because its not a Jaguar E Type.

Not really. I was responding to the point that Ferguson had other tactical coaches to advise him. Dean Smith’s tactical team is Richard O’Kelly, Craig Shakespeare, John Terry and the person he seems to listen to the most during a game, the GK coach Neil Cutler. Dean Smith has proven he either doesn’t have the required in game management skills poor the advise he does get isn’t very good. He was absolutely out coached by Hodgson today who changed something to turn Palace into world beaters n the second half.

And Roy Hodgson has decades of experience at the top level all over Europe while Dean is into his second Prem League season. Apparently most of his players are shit too judging from the comments on here so why such high expectations?

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful gift. A lot of people in this thread seem to possess it. Play the youngsters, we've got nothing to loose, oh, but wasn't Ramsey shit today he should have been pulled off earlier.

Really, what do some of you expect? Champions League in 2 seasons? To get into the Champions League you have to displace some very good teams and it's not going to happen overnight.

Mid table. Job done!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #12938 on: May 17, 2021, 02:19:56 AM »

Ferguson for all his tea cup tossing bravado was also light years ahead of others in terms of what it took to run a massive club. That is coaching, analytics, squad management and the psychological warfare against all others in getting that edge. I don’t think Dean Smith is broad enough mentally to grasp all of that.

Bit of a daft comparison isn't it, Smith against the greatest ever. Its like thrashing the car sat in your drive because its not a Jaguar E Type.

Not really. I was responding to the point that Ferguson had other tactical coaches to advise him. Dean Smith’s tactical team is Richard O’Kelly, Craig Shakespeare, John Terry and the person he seems to listen to the most during a game, the GK coach Neil Cutler. Dean Smith has proven he either doesn’t have the required in game management skills poor the advise he does get isn’t very good. He was absolutely out coached by Hodgson today who changed something to turn Palace into world beaters n the second half.

And Roy Hodgson has decades of experience at the top level all over Europe while Dean is into his second Prem League season. Apparently most of his players are shit too judging from the comments on here so why such high expectations?

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful gift. A lot of people in this thread seem to possess it. Play the youngsters, we've got nothing to loose, oh, but wasn't Ramsey shit today he should have been pulled off earlier.

Really, what do some of you expect? Champions League in 2 seasons? To get into the Champions League you have to displace some very good teams and it's not going to happen overnight.

Mid table. Job done!

Given what happened last season, I think most of us would have gladly taken where we are now if offered at the start of the season, so I agree that it is probably a case of job done.  I guess there is a sense of disappointment though that we could not capitalise on the start we made and the opportunity we had this season.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #12939 on: May 17, 2021, 07:14:50 AM »
This season has seen a bit of a topsy-turvy one for many reasons and for a lot of clubs. However, the usual suspects, with the better squad depth and experience, have done what matters when it matters and have risen through the league.

We had a great run and sustaining it would have been incredible. Losing one of the best players around and possibly our best ever, for as long as we did hasn't helped.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12940 on: May 17, 2021, 07:22:32 AM »
 sorry quote fail, this was Toronto Villa.
Dean Smith has proven he either doesn’t have the required in game management skills or the advise he does get isn’t very good.
[/quote]
This is the point that seems to be ignored.
Time and time again he passively watches all the good work he has done coaching and setting up the team get taken apart.

It’s as if he needs to hand the team over at kick off to someone who has a clue about how to manage the game.

It is argued that 4 3 3 is supposedly to provide a coach with the most flexibility, yet I see very little evidence of this.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:38:19 AM by ChicagoLion »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #12941 on: May 17, 2021, 07:28:30 AM »
Dean's as intractable as MON was. Time for a change - and there is nothing wrong about wanting better.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #12942 on: May 17, 2021, 07:30:03 AM »
Smith is safe for now and deservedly so but my God if he didn't rip that side a new one after that spineless second half then he never will.

How we didn't change it sooner though, that's all on Smith and his team. The whole thing was just so passive and weak. 

Offline PhilVill

• Centre Right, but nice with it 😉😙
« Reply #12943 on: May 17, 2021, 07:32:09 AM »
We can discuss Dean S until the cows come home but the bottom line is what the owners will expect next season, especially if they spend a few bob again. Another Deano slump will not cut it so if it happens next season he’ll be gone

Offline sid1964

« Reply #12944 on: May 17, 2021, 07:32:33 AM »
The owners stated after winning at Wembley 2 seasons ago that they would do whatever it takes to make us a team that will challenge for trophies

Dean will keep is job for now but he will need to start next season well, otherwise he could be out of the door by end of October.

Ancellotti is supposedly on £14 million a year for me he is massively underperforming - manager of the year should be Bielsa, but it will be Pep

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal