collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1543595 times)

Offline RamboandBruno

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12960 on: May 17, 2021, 11:14:39 AM »
Why would we only get rid of Smith if an elite level manager was available? There’s a huge gap between Dean Smith and elite level so surely to get to elite you have to move up the ladder graudally

Nobody knows what the targets were but I doubt when Martinez signed and was talking about Europe, or when Grealish signed his contract, that the target was 11th or 12th and a second half of the season like this

Grealish was interviewed earlier in the season and said after he is meeting with Smith, Purslow and owners, the ambition this year was top 12-top 10

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #12961 on: May 17, 2021, 11:37:37 AM »
Why would we only get rid of Smith if an elite level manager was available? There’s a huge gap between Dean Smith and elite level so surely to get to elite you have to move up the ladder graudally

Nobody knows what the targets were but I doubt when Martinez signed and was talking about Europe, or when Grealish signed his contract, that the target was 11th or 12th and a second half of the season like this

Grealish was interviewed earlier in the season and said after he is meeting with Smith, Purslow and owners, the ambition this year was top 12-top 10.

Bang on then!

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #12962 on: May 17, 2021, 11:43:54 AM »

Grealish was interviewed earlier in the season and said after he is meeting with Smith, Purslow and owners, the ambition this year was top 12-top 10

Where did Grealish say top 12 was a target? There were numerous interviews where he said the club had huge ambitions
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:51:17 AM by Ketzster »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #12963 on: May 17, 2021, 11:59:35 AM »

Where did Grealish say top 12 was a target? There were numerous interviews where he said the club had huge ambitions

I think a jump of 5-7 places is pretty good. Do it two seasons in a row and you're sitting somewhere between 7th and 3rd. That would match being highly ambitious and also being successful.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #12964 on: May 17, 2021, 12:43:01 PM »

I saw it in a video at the time which I haven’t got time to look for now, but interview/quote is here https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2021/02/02/jack-grealish-exclusive-aston-villa-ace-outlines-his-ambitions-for-club-and-country/

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #12965 on: May 17, 2021, 02:21:34 PM »
Dean will be under pressure, as would any manager following the drop off in form and results, since the turn of the year.  Yesterday was very disappointing, but he was hampered by, having his two game changers on the bench needing to get up to match fitness following long layoffs not ideal.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #12966 on: May 17, 2021, 04:24:21 PM »

I think a jump of 5-7 places is pretty good. Do it two seasons in a row and you're sitting somewhere between 7th and 3rd. That would match being highly ambitious and also being successful.
Absolutely spot on. None of us know the target set for this season or what Grealish was tempted with when he signed his contract but I’d bet my house on it not being a European position this season. Ambition isn’t a one season thing and that’s what I think Grealish has bought into

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #12967 on: May 17, 2021, 04:54:56 PM »

Well on track then
Next season higher up and a potential cup win.
I think steady and continued progress is being made and circumstances this season prevented us from finishing even higher.
We certainly looked a top 6 team to 8 and even top 4 at times this season.
I think it's fantastic progress masterminded on the pitch by Dean.
I love the guy! Think he's football intelligent and only wants what's best for the club.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #12968 on: May 17, 2021, 04:58:24 PM »
it’s alright saying Smith isn’t good enough to take us to where we want to be which i assume is top 6
and I agree I don’t think he is

But you have to replace him with someone who you think can
and that right now is a very difficult find

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #12969 on: May 17, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »
I think some of the expectations expressed on here are deluded to the point that clinical intervention should be considered.

Is there anybody on here who wouldn't have taken 11th at the beginning of the season?

Less than 3 seasons in charge and DS has taken us from mid table Championship to mid table Premier League. With more investment there's no reason why we can't take another step up next season.

There aren't many teams above us I wouldn't have expected to be there, those being West Ham & maybe Leeds. Both with extremely experienced managers however much you may despise Moyes.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12970 on: May 17, 2021, 05:45:20 PM »
Does anyone despise Moyes?!

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #12971 on: May 17, 2021, 05:47:28 PM »
I thought that. He's a competent mid-table manager. No more or less than that.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #12972 on: May 17, 2021, 05:50:43 PM »
I think some of the expectations expressed on here are deluded to the point that clinical intervention should be considered.

Is there anybody on here who wouldn't have taken 11th at the beginning of the season?

Less than 3 seasons in charge and DS has taken us from mid table Championship to mid table Premier League. With more investment there's no reason why we can't take another step up next season.

There aren't many teams above us I wouldn't have expected to be there, those being West Ham & maybe Leeds. Both with extremely experienced managers however much you may despise Moyes.
How many times are peole going to say this?  Yes, I guess most people would have taken 11th and yes is shows good progress season on season (ably assisted by another £100m investment in the team of course).  But 4 wins in 24 games is a fucking awful run that has lasted well over half a season.  If that doesn't trouble you then fine, but some of us think the inability to get out of a rut that has lasted for so long is a bit of a problem.  Is that deluded to the point that clinical intervention should be considered?

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12973 on: May 17, 2021, 05:54:06 PM »
Who is?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #12974 on: May 17, 2021, 05:54:54 PM »
Who is?
He's referring to Moyes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal