collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1538019 times)

Offline PhilVill

• Centre Right, but nice with it 😉😙
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12900 on: May 16, 2021, 05:10:54 PM »
He’ll be here next season but I reckon he’ll be told that the form of the second half of this season will be unacceptable if repeated next year and that there will be consequences if it happens.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #12901 on: May 16, 2021, 05:14:16 PM »
Not the manager to take us to the next level .....recent form has been abysmal and embarrassing at times - he may be a nice guy and Villa through and through but if this form carries on into next
Season we will be one of the relegation candidates - decent Championship manager but out of his depth in the top flight
If the owners are serious in their intentions of taking this club to a higher level they will need to be ruthless .....does Smith deserve to get time early next season to prove his worth ?
He was once again out thought by an opposition manager - this time by one entering retirement :(

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12902 on: May 16, 2021, 05:15:57 PM »
Everybody would agree we cannot keep being so streaky and that consistency is a must. Another 4 good quality players on top of the back 5, Grealish and Watkins, who are all consistently excellent would help.

Then the players like Luiz, McGinn, El Ghazi, Traore who blow hot and cold, but have quality, are able to be recycled in and out more. We've had to persevere with players out of lack of choice.

Add 4 new players, a Sanson with a pre-season and consistency should be more achievable.

The likes of Marvellous, Elmo, Davis, Trez, they're just not up to where we want to go.

Online Taylor

« Reply #12903 on: May 16, 2021, 05:21:39 PM »
Not the manager to take us to the next level .....recent form has been abysmal and embarrassing at times - he may be a nice guy and Villa through and through but if this form carries on into next
Season we will be one of the relegation candidates - decent Championship manager but out of his depth in the top flight
If the owners are serious in their intentions of taking this club to a higher level they will need to be ruthless .....does Smith deserve to get time early next season to prove his worth ?
He was once again out thought by an opposition manager - this time by one entering retirement :(
He was only a few months further away from retirement when we dicked them 3 nil on Boxing Day, with 10 men. We also beat the tactically brilliant Bielsa at Elland road.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 05:23:10 PM by Taylor »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #12904 on: May 16, 2021, 05:21:58 PM »
Bit ageist, that.
I thought experience brought wisdom?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #12905 on: May 16, 2021, 05:25:20 PM »
The turn around stats are worrying. I think we must be the worst team in the League for not winning or losing the game after taking the lead and I don't think we have won a game after conceding  this season. This is against Smith's ability as other coaches are able to work him out and he has not been able to do anything about it. The two most worrying results have been Burnley and Palace today. Being schooled by good old fashioned coaches like Dyche and Hodgson  does not bode well. Particularly as these two teams have inferior players than us. I do not feel confident at all for next season with the current set up.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #12906 on: May 16, 2021, 05:25:47 PM »
Hard to see us not going through another one win in 10 run at some point next season.

I was going to say interested what the owners would do if we hit that in November/December period (which aside from this season is when we usually go to pot most seasons) but then again to finish 8th you don't need that amazing form.

Spurs could still feasibly finish 5th and they won 3 league games in 13 between middle of December and start of March so pretty much what we've done since jack got injured at Brighton.

Liverpool could make top 4 still and they also had 2 wins in 12.

I think the key more is to try to end next season more strongly. Always seems we peak around January/Feb in our best prem seasons in last 20 years and we stumble to finish line so we must be smart in spending the 100m this summer and also rotate more 1st half of next season e.g. McGinn can actually be subbed in some games.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #12907 on: May 16, 2021, 05:27:27 PM »
I think he’s done very well with our team, we’ve played some great football along the way and we are in a position in the league based on our ability at the moment. Adding real quality has to be our next step and our aim for next season is going to be higher.

To rule him out or say he is not a manager to take us higher is impossible to say. A squad of players on the same level as Jack, Martinez and Konsa is when to judge him. So far, since he’s been here he’s achieved everything that’s been asked of him.

Obviously these streaky patches are worrying but I’m still thinking that’s down to the squad and not having the players to really change things as what’s on the bench is joy better than what’s on the pitch.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #12908 on: May 16, 2021, 05:28:09 PM »
Hard to see us not going through another one win in 10 run at some point next season.
I was going to say interested what the owners would do if we hit that in November/December period (which aside from this season is when we usually go to pot most seasons) but then again to finish 8th you don't need that amazing form.
Spurs could still feasibly finish 5th and they won 3 league games in 13 between middle of December and start of March so pretty much what we've done since jack got injured at Brighton.
Liverpool could make top 4 still and they also had 2 wins in 12.
I think the key more is to try to end next season more strongly. Always seems we peak around January/Feb in our best prem seasons in last 20 years and we stumble to finish line so we must be smart in spending the 100m this summer and also rotate more 1st half of next season e.g. McGinn can actually be subbed in some games.
Agreed.
If we'd had this run before Christmas, Smith would certainly have been bulleted. Who might we have ended up with?!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #12909 on: May 16, 2021, 05:32:56 PM »
Smith has done well, especially when you consider that we're trying to get top 8 in the league, with, let's be honest, only a handful of players (if that) who are actually consistently that standard.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #12910 on: May 16, 2021, 05:49:19 PM »
Bit ageist, that.
I thought experience brought wisdom?
No ageism intended - ME -just a statement of fact

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #12911 on: May 16, 2021, 05:53:35 PM »
I'd hate to be in the position of the club's management today. Strong arguments could be made to part ways with Smith as much as give him an extended contract.

This close season will define the next few years. Jack staying or going, manager being able to move us forward, two or three big signings that have to work.

If we mess this up then we will take some massive steps back and with what has been spent I don't think the hierarchy will accept failure.

The one big difference I guess is the structure behind the scene. We aren't built around the manager, he is important but not the be all and end-all. Dean leaving won't chop the head of the club off like it did when MoN left and we are in a relative position of strength to attract a replacement.

Such a tough decision though.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #12912 on: May 16, 2021, 06:07:14 PM »
The players were good enough when things were going well earlier in the season. It can’t be the manager when things are going well and the players when things are going badly. It makes the job of a player much, much harder if the manager doesn’t help them by making any changes during a game

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #12913 on: May 16, 2021, 06:20:40 PM »
The players were good enough when things were going well earlier in the season. It can’t be the manager when things are going well and the players when things are going badly. It makes the job of a player much, much harder if the manager doesn’t help them by making any changes during a game

Have to agree with that.

The cat was out of the bag with the form in the first third of the season. The fact we have had over half a season of relegation form is massively worrying.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #12914 on: May 16, 2021, 06:44:06 PM »
I really don't think there is any "decision" to be made this summer.  This is the end of his 3rd season with us, and we have improved in each and every one of those seasons. Yes, there have been stretches of incredible form, and stretches of very poor form - but season-on-season, we're improving.

Now, that said, we are now very much at the point where the law of diminishing returns REALLY kicks in. It is a LOT easier to go from 17th to 11th, than it is to go from 11th into the top 6.  The pressure will really be on next season, particularly if we've invested a reasonable amount again this summer, and if we look like still being a midtable side by Xmas (and there aren't some obvious reasons that are beyond Dean's control), then I think his time might be up. 

But I'm very hopeful that with another couple of additions we will be genuine European candidates next season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal