collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1536133 times)

Offline Taylor

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12885 on: May 16, 2021, 03:55:20 PM »
Like Sheffield United and Wolves' momentum?

Or that absence of momentum in West Ham and Leicester?

He's likely achieved the hard target and failed at the soft target. The higher up we go or seek to go, the smaller the room for error and the pressure increases. But there's no way he's getting sacked over the summer. People were very quick to call for him to go post Wigan in 2019, last season and now here they are again. He consistently proves people wrong and with more quality at his disposal following another summer of good recruitment, let's hope he does so again.
Absolutely. There is no way the owners are even thinking of sacking him.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #12886 on: May 16, 2021, 04:07:52 PM »

He's likely achieved the hard target and failed at the soft target. The higher up we go or seek to go, the smaller the room for error and the pressure increases. But there's no way he's getting sacked over the summer. People were very quick to call for him to go post Wigan in 2019, last season and now here they are again. He consistently proves people wrong and with more quality at his disposal following another summer of good recruitment, let's hope he does so again.
You reckon?

After spending £100m we've won 4 of our last 24 games.  That's a 16.5% win percentage for well over half a season.  I can't see how it's likely to improve in our next two games.  I like Smith, but I don't see how the owners wouldn't at least be thinking about sacking him.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #12887 on: May 16, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »
They will. Just like with players, when the right person becomes available, they’ll make their move

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12888 on: May 16, 2021, 04:18:40 PM »
He was almost certainly going to get the tin tack after the Chelsea game last season, before the lockdown for Covid saved his job, so I don't think there's any good reason why they won't replace him if they think that there's somebody better available. We've been really poor for months now, and Smith trots out the same old lines, with nothing much changing on the pitch.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #12889 on: May 16, 2021, 04:21:49 PM »

Agreed, last season we finished with 35 points and a -26 goal difference. By any measure this season has been a massive improvement. It’s fanciful to think the owners will want to disrupt that progress.

Offline Risso

« Reply #12890 on: May 16, 2021, 04:26:27 PM »

Agreed, last season we finished with 35 points and a -26 goal difference. By any measure this season has been a massive improvement. It’s fanciful to think the owners will want to disrupt that progress.

The last 20 games have pretty well been as shit as that though. If the results for that period were extrapolated for the season, we'd finish on 38 points and a -13 goal difference.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #12891 on: May 16, 2021, 04:29:05 PM »
I'm only open to Smith leaving if Allegri or someone of that calibre comes in.

Otherwise forget it!

And I think Dean is doing a great job, I'd rather he stay.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #12892 on: May 16, 2021, 04:37:27 PM »

Otherwise forget it!

There are better managers than Dean Smith out there before you arrive at Allegri.

Online john2710

« Reply #12893 on: May 16, 2021, 04:38:07 PM »
In 30 months Dean has achieved the objectives set. Promotion, safety & mid-table. The next step will require better players & better management.

He's earned the right to be there next season but he needs to step up.

The players will be upgraded & the manager will too if the owners think it's the best way forward.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #12894 on: May 16, 2021, 04:46:46 PM »
The progress argument would make a lot more sense if the bad results were spread over the season.  The £100m spent on the squad also helped, it's not like it is some sort of like for like comparison.  I just don't see how you can wash over the rut we're in.  He's had almost 5 months to come up with a solution and the fact he hasn't done so isn't really good enough. 

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #12895 on: May 16, 2021, 04:51:23 PM »

Otherwise forget it!

There are better managers than Dean Smith out there before you arrive at Allegri.

I would prefer Cortina.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #12896 on: May 16, 2021, 04:53:46 PM »
For half a season we have been crap. Many a manager has been sacked for less. Deano is currently living on credit but the clock is ticking faster.

The owners will be asking themselves this big question. Do we trust Deano with 100m plus to bring us to the next level or do we appoint someone new with greater pulling power and better tactical nous?

Would not surprise me if the owners are currently looking for a new manager but will reserve their judgement until the alternatives are known.

To get where they want to be, our owners are clearly ruthless and not toothless. They are both winners.

IMHO, Deano has been a credit to the club but has taken us as far as his ability permits.

Whats Rafael Benitez doing these days?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 05:05:37 PM by Baldy »

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #12897 on: May 16, 2021, 04:54:55 PM »

The last 20 games have pretty well been as shit as that though. If the results for that period were extrapolated for the season, we'd finish on 38 points and a -13 goal difference.

Seasons are measured over 38 games though. The reason sides are mid table is because they’re inconsistent as they don’t have the squad depth of those at the top. If players at Chelsea or Man City, for instance, are injured or off form they can replace them with similar quality. We’re not in the same game and it will take work over a number of transfer windows to get to that level.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #12898 on: May 16, 2021, 05:00:33 PM »
to be honest, there's only been 4 consistent teams this season.
Man City; once they got their act together.
Sheff Utd, Fulham & WBA - for very different reasons.

The rest have been vey up and down.

Offline Risso

« Reply #12899 on: May 16, 2021, 05:03:22 PM »

Seasons are measured over 38 games though. The reason sides are mid table is because they’re inconsistent as they don’t have the squad depth of those at the top. If players at Chelsea or Man City, for instance, are injured or off form they can replace them with similar quality. We’re not in the same game and it will take work over a number of transfer windows to get to that level.

I don't think it's unreasonable to look at the form for well over half a season and be worried by it. Smith himself has said it's important to go into next season with some sort of momentum, and it's just not happening.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal