collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522354 times)

Offline Duncan Shaw

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12735 on: May 13, 2021, 08:48:38 AM »
I'd forgotten we'd even signed Sanson to be honest - is he injured?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #12736 on: May 13, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »
Our problems and recent poor form is mainly down to the midfield and Smith has been unable to solve this.
Agree with this, and we've been unable to address because we're short of quality alternatives. Had Ramsey and Chuk been 12 months further on in their development, we may have been able to manage. As it is, the Barkley option has largely failed to deliver.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #12737 on: May 13, 2021, 09:10:54 AM »
I'd forgotten we'd even signed Sanson to be honest - is he injured?
Yes. Knee-knack.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #12738 on: May 13, 2021, 10:12:15 AM »
I keep hearing this Fine Wine argument for Sanson, are we really in the business of buying a player and lying him down for a season on the expectation he turns into a special vintage?
Barkley -Drinkwater be interesting to see who is next seasons misfit.

Think we need to give him until next season. Certainly looks a tidy player, comfortable with both feet. But has a big summer ahead in the gym to physically get to a position to be able to compete in a midfield role in EPL. Half a yard short in nearly every facet of his play at the moment, Ramsey looks more physically ready right now to be honest.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #12739 on: May 13, 2021, 10:25:14 AM »
I keep hearing this Fine Wine argument for Sanson, are we really in the business of buying a player and lying him down for a season on the expectation he turns into a special vintage?

Think we need to give him until next season. Certainly looks a tidy player, comfortable with both feet. But has a big summer ahead in the gym to physically get to a position to be able to compete in a midfield role in EPL. Half a yard short in nearly every facet of his play at the moment, Ramsey looks more physically ready right now to be honest.

I just have a nagging feeling that he will be nothing more than tidy and ineffective, I hope I'm wrong.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #12740 on: May 13, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »
Decisions were made based on the assumption that Cash would have a consistently-good introduction and assimilation into the Premier League, and that Barkley would find consistency and fitness from the get-go.
So, the question is: do we think those assumptions were valid, at the time both Guilbert and Hourihane were allowed to go on loan? - the club obviously thought so. Hindsight might raise a questionmark over it.
I certainly think that Cash would have benefitted from being given some games off, on the bench, since the step-up for him has been quite a steep one. I'm less sure about the Barkley situation because Conor had not really proved himself at this level. Maybe they thought that Sanson would show himself to be more of a Barkley alternative?

Hourihane himself said it was when Ramsey was given the start over him at Wolves that he knew the game was up, given he had played at West Ham and thought he had done well. Think Sanson had signed or was about to. I guess ultimately Smith was looking to get more mobility into midfield. Unfortunately for Smith, Sanson and Barkley particularly haven't provided that. Ramsey as expected as a young player has been inconsistent. I think if Hourihane had been involved more early on in the season, it wouldn't have got to the stage he wanted to leave in January. He would definitely have been a useful option after Jack got injured and all our creativity disappeared.

Guilbert is just a strange one.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #12741 on: May 13, 2021, 10:39:01 AM »

Coming in mid-season has been difficult for him, especially having to adapting to the pace and physicality of the Premier League. He is highly rated by the coaching staff and they reckon with a good pre-season behind him he will go on to show is full potential.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12742 on: May 13, 2021, 10:40:43 AM »

Are we really in the business of writing players off too quickly?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12743 on: May 13, 2021, 10:43:02 AM »

Coming in mid-season has been difficult for him, especially having to adapting to the pace and physicality of the Premier League. He is highly rated by the coaching staff and they reckon with a good pre-season behind him he will go on to show is full potential.

Plus he's been out injured. The lack of patience again from some fans is absoutley staggering. He's been here 4 and a half months.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #12744 on: May 13, 2021, 10:46:52 AM »

It's not that quick, it's been three months!

As for the original post, it's not a season, it's about 4 months until the end of this season; time to acclimatise to the team, club and area. We got him for a good price and earlier than we expected as a result.

We paid £1m for Louie Barry, and he only plays for the U23s, I think we're laying him down for a good while.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #12745 on: May 13, 2021, 11:11:34 AM »
Dean talked about the 'adaptation risk' when signing players from the continent. Using the example of Traore, even though he had played in England in the past, coming from France was a step up in intensity and it took him a while to reach the required levels of the Premier League. He said he expects him to progress further next season. So I guess with Sanson they are hoping for a similar trajectory.

We definitely shouldn't give up on him already, look at Veretout. 10 goals in Serie A this season for Roma.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12746 on: May 13, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
Dean talked about the 'adaptation risk' when signing players from the continent. Using the example of Traore, even though he had played in England in the past, coming from France was a step up in intensity and it took him a while to reach the required levels of the Premier League. He said he expects him to progress further next season. So I guess with Sanson they are hoping for a similar trajectory.

We definitely shouldn't give up on him already, look at Veretout. 10 goals in Serie A this season for Roma.

Some players just aren't suited to the Premier League, however good they are.

And as for patience, some posters on here must hate Smith for bombing Samatta out so quickly.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #12747 on: May 13, 2021, 11:50:47 AM »

Some players just aren't suited to the Premier League, however good they are.

And as for patience, some posters on here must hate Smith for bombing Samatta out so quickly.

I think Samatta is a slightly unfair comparison. He seemed like a total panic buy to me when Wesley got injured. Sanson is someone we'd been tracking for a while and managed to get half price in the transfer window, pretty much the opposite scenario. Agree that some players just don't suit the Premier League though.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #12748 on: May 13, 2021, 12:11:54 PM »

I'd like to make this water wine but it's impossible.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #12749 on: May 13, 2021, 12:28:16 PM »

Two words - Matt Targett

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal