collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522853 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12765 on: May 13, 2021, 08:36:00 PM »
I don't think anybody's written him off, just that it's not immediately obvious what his strengths are.
Yes, it’s he must be great Smith bought him,
His performances are at best ordinary- we bought him for next year, he needs to spend more time in the gym etc.

No one seems to have come up with a rallying excuse to cover Barkley yet.

It must be exhausting finding something to be miserable about every day. Maybe you need another hobby.
The bestest fan ever speaks again.
Your hobby is having a pop at fellow Villa fans.
You can keep that one to your self your very good at it.

Says the man in the post above mine accusing Villa fans of only backing a player who's been here three months because  Smith signed him. Hmm.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #12766 on: May 14, 2021, 09:18:13 AM »
I’m a Smith fan but I do think he’s missed a great opportunity to safely experiment a bit over the last few games.  We’ll probably never be in a similar situation where we were safe with half a dozen or so games left, no fans in the ground to get frustrated if things didn’t come off and I think he missed a chance to mix things up a bit, try some formations, chuck a few more kids in and see what happens. Yet he insisted on sticking with Barkley.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #12767 on: May 14, 2021, 03:02:21 PM »
I’m a Smith fan but I do think he’s missed a great opportunity to safely experiment a bit over the last few games.  We’ll probably never be in a similar situation where we were safe with half a dozen or so games left, no fans in the ground to get frustrated if things didn’t come off and I think he missed a chance to mix things up a bit, try some formations, chuck a few more kids in and see what happens. Yet he insisted on sticking with Barkley.

Agree

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #12768 on: May 14, 2021, 03:16:56 PM »

I'd agree with you if he felt there was no chance his job could be on the line after over a half season of poor form and results.  I think he probably felt he needed to get something from out last 5 or 6 games or the pressure would come.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #12769 on: May 14, 2021, 03:18:47 PM »
Wes is a tough one, do you go into next season hoping he is the player you imagined you were buying or do you worry about pre injury form, legacy of Injury and buy a replacement then hope Wes is good enough to compete for a place
The latter. If he comes good then it's a bonus but in my view we simply cannot rely on it and risk going into another season undercooked up front.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #12770 on: May 14, 2021, 03:26:22 PM »
I kinda agree with you on this, however, if it did fail this and several other threads would be full of rubbish about how bad a coach Smith is and then in all probability, the young players brought in to the experiment would get similar treatment.

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #12771 on: May 14, 2021, 03:32:52 PM »
Got to assume Dean knows what he is doing with the kids. Pep used to get loads of stick for not giving Foden game time, and that seems to have worked out well

Offline Allan C

« Reply #12772 on: May 14, 2021, 03:38:07 PM »
I don't think anybody's written him off, just that it's not immediately obvious what his strengths are.
Yes, it’s he must be great Smith bought him,
His performances are at best ordinary- we bought him for next year, he needs to spend more time in the gym etc.

No one seems to have come up with a rallying excuse to cover Barkley yet.

It must be exhausting finding something to be miserable about every day. Maybe you need another hobby.
The bestest fan ever speaks again.
Your hobby is having a pop at fellow Villa fans.
You can keep that one to your self your very good at it.

Says the man in the post above mine accusing Villa fans of only backing a player who's been here three months because  Smith signed him. Hmm.
I’ve thought all along that Sanson was a buy for next season not this. It’s a big step from the French league to the PL and added to that was Covid and our subsequent loss of form then his injury. With a proper Pre-season behind him I think he’ll be ok. As for Barkley, it’s a shame because he is a quality player who’s out of form and I think fitness. It was a great move at the time and had he maintained his early form and fitness we may well have finished two or three places higher.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #12773 on: May 14, 2021, 03:39:15 PM »
I’m a Smith fan but I do think he’s missed a great opportunity to safely experiment a bit over the last few games.  We’ll probably never be in a similar situation where we were safe with half a dozen or so games left, no fans in the ground to get frustrated if things didn’t come off and I think he missed a chance to mix things up a bit, try some formations, chuck a few more kids in and see what happens. Yet he insisted on sticking with Barkley

Smudger said a few games back that bonuses and TV money etc was contingent on exactly where we finished so -to his mind- there weren't any games he could just dick about and try different formations and players etc.  (OK, he didn't use those exact words).

Also, with the rookies, it's one thing looking different gravy against their peers.  Quite another coming up against world class players in the top flight.

I'd have liked to see Chuka feature more (at least from the bench). And the left back (Kessler?). But it's Smith's head on the chopping block if he gets those calls wrong. We've seen how he's played Ramsey this season in place of Hourihane, so I don't think he's averse to giving the Yoot a chance when they're ready.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #12774 on: May 14, 2021, 03:39:21 PM »
Also we do not know what advice he’s receiving from their respective managers at their level. It may be that he’s been told they are physically not quite ready.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12775 on: May 14, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »
Got to assume Dean knows what he is doing with the kids. Pep used to get loads of stick for not giving Foden game time, and that seems to have worked out well

It’s a bit different when a player like Foden is trying to get to a start ahead of players like Sterling or the other world class players Man City have. We’re talking about giving our youngsters a run out instead of the truly hopeless Barkley.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #12776 on: May 14, 2021, 04:03:33 PM »

It would have been more likely if results and performances had been mixed throughout the season rather than one half great, the other poor. We've won twice in our last 11 games. It's a problem he's still trying to address and not one you want to carry into next season.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #12777 on: May 14, 2021, 04:22:56 PM »

It’s a bit different when a player like Foden is trying to get to a start ahead of players like Sterling or the other world class players Man City have. We’re talking about giving our youngsters a run out instead of the truly hopeless Barkley.
It’s not so much who our youngsters would be replacing but who they will be up against in the opposition. Smiths handling of Ramsey has been great in my view, giving him a look and letting him build his experience and confidence at PL level. They may not yet be ready for that step.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #12778 on: May 14, 2021, 04:37:45 PM »

[/quote]
I’ve thought all along that Sanson was a buy for next season not this. It’s a big step from the French league to the PL and added to that was Covid and our subsequent loss of form then his injury. With a proper Pre-season behind him I think he’ll be ok. As for Barkley, it’s a shame because he is a quality player who’s out of form and I think fitness. It was a great move at the time and had he maintained his early form and fitness we may well have finished two or three places higher.
[/quote]

Smith said a while ago that Sanson was on their radar and a bid would have probably gone in for him this summer.  However due to financial difficulties his club made it known that he was available and so we stepped in with a cut price offer and got him 6 months in advance.  Gives him the bonus of getting to know the set up/ other players etc. as well as having some game time under his belt.  He will now know what is needed when he comes back for pre-season instead of it all being new and different to him.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #12779 on: May 14, 2021, 04:39:35 PM »
Maybe he didn't want to try too many kids as they'll be playing in the Youth Cup. Decent performance tonight and we might see one or two of them feature, at least off the bench, by the end of the season I reckon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal