collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522664 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12690 on: May 10, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »
Some people think it's like playing Championship Manager 02. Find a couple of obscure trainee galacticos, buy one or two ready-made ones and success is guaranteed.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #12691 on: May 10, 2021, 06:47:16 PM »
Those early Championship Manager games were ace

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #12692 on: May 10, 2021, 06:53:21 PM »

I had 97/98. Bought Robert Pires and some guy called Bakayoko to play as the 10.

Almost unstoppable. I was pretty addicted to that game!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12693 on: May 10, 2021, 07:08:12 PM »

I had 97/98. Bought Robert Pires and some guy called Bakayoko to play as the 10.

Was that the one where you could never sell players after about ten years?

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #12694 on: May 10, 2021, 07:14:01 PM »
I thought we achieved promotion a season earlier than expected too.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #12695 on: May 10, 2021, 07:27:02 PM »

I remember getting this one on the Atari ST. Stil remember the smell of the box.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #12696 on: May 10, 2021, 09:12:54 PM »

I always had to sign Adriano. I learnt touch-typing from updating the database to keep players at their actual clubs.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12697 on: May 10, 2021, 09:19:15 PM »
Martinez has done better this season than last.
Cash is doing better all the time- agree
Konsa is way better than last season -agree and becoming a great player
Mings is getting far more consistent- disagree still making too many stupid mistakes that cost goals
Targett is arguably the most improved player in the division- agreed
McGinn doesn't appear as good as he did because he isn't the stand-out player that he was.- he gets a pass from me as he is carrying the midfield
Luiz is getting better yet is still prone to the odd mistake. But he gets stuck in. Has been pretty poor lately and can’t tackle- lots of room for improvement
Grealish is better this season than last. Disagree he kept us up last season
AEG is better and more consistent, and scoring goals. Not good enough and if he does not score he makes little contribution
Traore has improved as the season has progressed in my view, still needs to work on his defensive skills mind. We can afford one luxury player, unfortunately with Barkley Smith is playing 2
Watkins seems to be on a steep trajectory. Agree Super player
Trez was being lauded earlier this season, had a dip then came again and unfortunately got injured.
Davis has scored a goal and provided an assist in relatively low minutes on the pitch and people would like him to play- Should have played more not been used properly by Smith
Ramsay is doing better all the time. -Should be playing ahead of Barkley.
We've other youngsters coming through too.

So yes, I think Smith is doing a good job. We've just hit a patch, without one of the world's best players, where it's not going our way. On our day though, we're a match for anyone.
Smith gets a C based on the above. Needs to do better to match the clubs ambition.
Clearly the club ambition is to be a constant top 4 club, qualifying for CL each season. What we don’t know is the timescale that has been set for Smith to achieve it. That timescale could well be three seasons away, maybe sooner. Whatever the timescale, promotion to PL survival to mid possible top half finish with an improving squad is real progress and better than a C
you can give him a C+ then.

I have never even seen championship manager.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #12698 on: May 10, 2021, 09:30:01 PM »
I said we'd finish 13th to 17th when we did the predictor thing, looks like that's what we will achieve, perhaps slightly higher with 11th, which represents progression.  I hope the owners continue to back Dean as he does sign some very good players.  We need at least three in the summer to continue to improve. For me, Dean frustrates me but is still doing a very decent job.  Gets a straight B from me. 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #12699 on: May 10, 2021, 10:12:13 PM »
I can't remember too many people tipping Leeds to go up in June 2018. They'd just finished 13th so just to finish in play offs was a very good effort from them.

I think the state of the defence when Smith came in is the huge mitigating factor, Bruce had completely fucked the squad balance up and left us in an awful position. Aside from that even if the team from the previous season was all still there I specifically said Bielsa had HIS squad. Very few managers would go into any team in the world and not want to add a few of their own players to put their identity on the team, that's why I'm not a fan of sacking managers with less than 3 transfer windows, that's the point where they have their own squad to work with in my opinion.

Would you give him a new deal out of interest Paul?

If Trez wasn't out for a long time I'd probably have looked to cash in on AEG this window, I like him and think he's a very useful backup option but I don't think either of them are good enough to be the 3rd choice wide player at a top 6 club. With Trez out it's harder to know what to do. I think I'd still consider letting him go to bring in someone with a higher ceiling, would mean we might need to rely on JPB on the bench at times but I'm ok with that.

Oh I agree on defence, playing Jedi there was simply not acceptable and Chester was playing on one leg at that point aswell which was a disgrace by Bruce and something Chessie has diplomatically stayed quiet on (I'm sure he'll have his say when his career is done).

However:

This was the table after two months of DS and a patched up defence:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46395329

Two points off 6th and we'd been unbeaten for about 7 games at that point. I'm fairly sure the mood on here at the time was going all in for top 2 so we shouldn't have been in position where we had to win 10 straight just to get into play offs although of course it made the promotion all the more special in the end.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #12700 on: May 10, 2021, 10:51:45 PM »
Martinez has done better this season than last.
Cash is doing better all the time- agree
Konsa is way better than last season -agree and becoming a great player
Mings is getting far more consistent- disagree still making too many stupid mistakes that cost goals
Targett is arguably the most improved player in the division- agreed
McGinn doesn't appear as good as he did because he isn't the stand-out player that he was.- he gets a pass from me as he is carrying the midfield
Luiz is getting better yet is still prone to the odd mistake. But he gets stuck in. Has been pretty poor lately and can’t tackle- lots of room for improvement
Grealish is better this season than last. Disagree he kept us up last season
AEG is better and more consistent, and scoring goals. Not good enough and if he does not score he makes little contribution
Traore has improved as the season has progressed in my view, still needs to work on his defensive skills mind. We can afford one luxury player, unfortunately with Barkley Smith is playing 2
Watkins seems to be on a steep trajectory. Agree Super player
Trez was being lauded earlier this season, had a dip then came again and unfortunately got injured.
Davis has scored a goal and provided an assist in relatively low minutes on the pitch and people would like him to play- Should have played more not been used properly by Smith
Ramsay is doing better all the time. -Should be playing ahead of Barkley.
We've other youngsters coming through too.

So yes, I think Smith is doing a good job. We've just hit a patch, without one of the world's best players, where it's not going our way. On our day though, we're a match for anyone.
Smith gets a C based on the above. Needs to do better to match the clubs ambition.
Clearly the club ambition is to be a constant top 4 club, qualifying for CL each season. What we don’t know is the timescale that has been set for Smith to achieve it. That timescale could well be three seasons away, maybe sooner. Whatever the timescale, promotion to PL survival to mid possible top half finish with an improving squad is real progress and better than a C
you can give him a C+ then.

I have never even seen championship manager.
I was thinking B minus pushing a straight B

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #12701 on: May 10, 2021, 11:46:38 PM »
I can't remember too many people tipping Leeds to go up in June 2018. They'd just finished 13th so just to finish in play offs was a very good effort from them.

I think the state of the defence when Smith came in is the huge mitigating factor, Bruce had completely fucked the squad balance up and left us in an awful position. Aside from that even if the team from the previous season was all still there I specifically said Bielsa had HIS squad. Very few managers would go into any team in the world and not want to add a few of their own players to put their identity on the team, that's why I'm not a fan of sacking managers with less than 3 transfer windows, that's the point where they have their own squad to work with in my opinion.

Would you give him a new deal out of interest Paul?

If Trez wasn't out for a long time I'd probably have looked to cash in on AEG this window, I like him and think he's a very useful backup option but I don't think either of them are good enough to be the 3rd choice wide player at a top 6 club. With Trez out it's harder to know what to do. I think I'd still consider letting him go to bring in someone with a higher ceiling, would mean we might need to rely on JPB on the bench at times but I'm ok with that.

Oh I agree on defence, playing Jedi there was simply not acceptable and Chester was playing on one leg at that point aswell which was a disgrace by Bruce and something Chessie has diplomatically stayed quiet on (I'm sure he'll have his say when his career is done).

However:

This was the table after two months of DS and a patched up defence:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46395329

Two points off 6th and we'd been unbeaten for about 7 games at that point. I'm fairly sure the mood on here at the time was going all in for top 2 so we shouldn't have been in position where we had to win 10 straight just to get into play offs although of course it made the promotion all the more special in the end.
The patched up defence really started after that game v Albion.The clearly unfit  Chester was being partnered by the likes of Bree and the returning Elphick. The defence was unable to hold onto a 2-0 halftime lead against Leeds.Hutton and Taylor also picked up injuries.Tuanzebe was out longer than Jack.When we had a fit team to pick from ,with the return of Steer and the arrival of Mings ,we were arguably the best team in the league.

Offline steamer

« Reply #12702 on: May 11, 2021, 07:11:54 AM »
Based on how we started, the season is petering out to a disappointing end.
But if we had been given this position at the beginning of the season we would  have said mission achieved.
On that it has to be a B
I hope that the squad and the starting 11 are sufficiently strengthened in the summer, which I am sure they will be.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12703 on: May 11, 2021, 08:07:37 AM »
I've seen a statistic that Fulham are the 17th team to be relegated after winning the Play Offs, a failure rate of 59%.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12704 on: May 11, 2021, 08:25:37 AM »
I've seen a statistic that Fulham are the 17th team to be relegated after winning the Play Offs, a failure rate of 59%.
They've also done it twice in three years which is not bad going.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal