collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522589 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12645 on: May 09, 2021, 07:56:52 PM »
“Most of these players are better than they were 12 months ago”

Who?

Martinez - always good, not quite as good as early season.

Cash - huge improvement on Elmo - looked good from the very start, doesn’t look better than early season.

Mings- Good but a mistake in in him most games. Wouldn’t say he’s any better than before

Konsa- always good- still good

Targett - improved - no doubt.

Luiz- worse than before

McGinn- - played out of position, not as effective as before.

AEG/Trez/Traore- all performing at similar standards.

Barkley- worse than when he joined.

Watkins- huge Defoe like potential. Wouldn’t say he’s performing  better than early season though..

All in all, what I’m trying to say is the improvement in league positions is more a result of the massive investment from the owners than due to coaching methods and improving players. Is that really such a controversial opinion?

No, its not as long as you realise people will disagree with you.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #12646 on: May 09, 2021, 08:11:52 PM »
Compared to us leeds have spent pocket money. And they are aove us in their first season back for years.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12647 on: May 09, 2021, 08:22:21 PM »
Compared to us leeds have spent pocket money. And they are aove us in their first season back for years.

and?

Compared to us Sheffield United spent pocket money and were above us in their first season back in years.

We're not on the same path as either so the comparisons are utterly pointless.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #12648 on: May 10, 2021, 07:25:59 AM »
So predictable - close down an alternative thought because it doesn't conform to yours - which is based on some sort of Mystic Meg fortune telling. How can you possible know what path we are on?

Offline Clampy

« Reply #12649 on: May 10, 2021, 07:32:55 AM »
So predictable - close down an alternative thought because it doesn't conform to yours - which is based on some sort of Mystic Meg fortune telling. How can you possible know what path we are on?

What path do you think we are on?

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #12650 on: May 10, 2021, 07:42:23 AM »
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Dean fined after some points he made in this interview.
https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1391438816922144773?s=19

I love it.

"I'm fed up talking about penalty decisions, or dubious penalty decisions, against Manchester United."
I'd like to think the club lodged a formal complaint that a Manc was allowed to officiate a Manchester club match -
But that doesn't change  fact that our record against this club is embarrassing ..... and that us blaming biased officials would be seen as "small time"  by fans of other clubs
Like many on here I detest this particular fixture but if we are looking to be considered a " big club" we need to start matching up to this lot

Crucially Smith didn't blame the defeat on the officials, he may have questioned the decisions but certainly he also questioned our approach, particularly after the penalty.
To blame the officials is the sort of cowardly shithousing we see from the likes of Allardyce and Warnock and has lead us to the mess that is VAR.

They had better quality than us, that's why they won and yes, we need to compete with that by having better players.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #12651 on: May 10, 2021, 09:07:47 AM »
VCM, re referee's appointments.  It used to be that referee's had to make known their allegiance/support for their preferred club when being appointed to the higher end of the football pyramid.  They would be then allocated matches on their geographical domicile, so yesterday's official, although a Manc, for whatever reason could be say, a Plymouth fan living in Manchester could quite possibly be given games involving any club in the Manchester area but never a match involving Plymouth Argyle.

I hope this clears things up a bit for you and I hope you are keeping well.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #12652 on: May 10, 2021, 09:59:00 AM »
I think the comparisons with Leeds and Bielsa are ridiculous so I’m going to turn them on their head. Bielsa has vast experience as a coach, managing some top club and international teams over many years. Despite this, with a similar squad, Leeds are only two points ahead of Dean Smith’s Villa, at the beginning of his managerial career previously coaching Walsall and Brentford and we have a game in hand. To go a step further, just two points ahead of Leeds we have a self proclaimed “big six” club Arsenal with a Guardiola apprentice, arguably the best coach ever, at the helm, a meagre four points ahead of same Dean Smith. I think I know why I’m happy with our manager.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12653 on: May 10, 2021, 10:04:05 AM »
I think the comparisons with Leeds and Bielsa are ridiculous so I’m going to turn them on their head. Bielsa has vast experience as a coach, managing some top club and international teams over many years. Despite this, with a similar squad, Leeds are only two points ahead of Dean Smith’s Villa, at the beginning of his managerial career previously coaching Walsall and Brentford and we have a game in hand. To go a step further, just two points ahead of Leeds we have a self proclaimed “big six” club Arsenal with a Guardiola apprentice, arguably the best coach ever, at the helm, a meagre four points ahead of same Dean Smith. I think I know why I’m happy with our manager.
So you are saying Smith is still learning, which explains why Bielsa is ahead with a less expensive squad and real identity to the way they play.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #12654 on: May 10, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »

I like flip arguments/discussions like this.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #12655 on: May 10, 2021, 10:29:16 AM »
It’s a must do better for me.  He’s had MON type resources transfer funds wise and we all know how that ended up.  Got to choose ready made PL upgrades this summer to complement the young ones like Konsa, Luiz, Watkins etc.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #12656 on: May 10, 2021, 10:32:35 AM »
It’s a must do better for me.  He’s had MON type resources transfer funds wise and we all know how that ended up.  Got to choose ready made PL upgrades this summer to complement the young ones like Konsa, Luiz, Watkins etc.

He didn't. The recruitment team/s did.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #12657 on: May 10, 2021, 10:34:23 AM »

Could also flip it to compare that Leeds in the first season in the division look set for a top half finish. We stayed up by a point. Leeds have also done it with far less of a budget and a distinct style of play. Our style of play appears based on the availability and fitness of one player, when he isn't available we don't have one.

I do agree that comparing Smith to Bielsa is a bit unfair. Smith is just about on track with pre season expectations, the loss of his best player for 11? games also should be taken into account.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12658 on: May 10, 2021, 10:44:52 AM »

Could also flip it to compare that Leeds in the first season in the division look set for a top half finish. We stayed up by a point. Leeds have also done it with far less of a budget and a distinct style of play. Our style of play appears based on the availability and fitness of one player, when he isn't available we don't have one.

I do agree that comparing Smith to Bielsa is a bit unfair. Smith is just about on track with pre season expectations, the loss of his best player for 11? games also should be taken into account.
Why is it unfair, who should we compare him to then?

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #12659 on: May 10, 2021, 10:47:51 AM »
You really are a pair of miserable gits! And I say this as someone who celebrates any personal triumphs with three days in bed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal