collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521934 times)

Offline villa for life

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12630 on: May 09, 2021, 06:33:52 PM »
Paul-e I wasn’t saying smith is at fault for not improving Konsa. He’s already good!

I’m saying it’s a pity about the other players who have the ability to be better, or who were once better than they are currently showing ,

Offline villa for life

« Reply #12631 on: May 09, 2021, 06:36:33 PM »
CT- yes, you are slowly catching on!

I’m talking about how very few players have improved this season. Some have been found- they remain good, some have been ok- they remain ok.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #12632 on: May 09, 2021, 06:39:41 PM »
CT- yes, you are slowly catching on!

I’m talking about how very few players have improved this season. Some have been found- they remain good, some have been ok- they remain ok.

I’m not catching on at all. In fact, I’m losing the will.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12633 on: May 09, 2021, 06:44:45 PM »
Paul-e I wasn’t saying smith is at fault for not improving Konsa. He’s already good!

I’m saying it’s a pity about the other players who have the ability to be better, or who were once better than they are currently showing ,

But we have improved as a whole.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #12634 on: May 09, 2021, 06:46:43 PM »
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Dean fined after some points he made in this interview.
https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1391438816922144773?s=19

I love it.

"I'm fed up talking about penalty decisions, or dubious penalty decisions, against Manchester United."
I'd like to think the club lodged a formal complaint that a Manc was allowed to officiate a Manchester club match -
But that doesn't change  fact that our record against this club is embarrassing ..... and that us blaming biased officials would be seen as "small time"  by fans of other clubs
Like many on here I detest this particular fixture but if we are looking to be considered a " big club" we need to start matching up to this lot

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12635 on: May 09, 2021, 06:50:26 PM »

So your blaming him for players losing form during a season and ignoring the fact that most of those players are better now than they were 12months ago. So not really much a point worth discussing.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #12636 on: May 09, 2021, 07:00:36 PM »
I think nearly all of the players have improved to some extent. You can't just judge them on a few games, you have to assess over whole seasons.

Dean's doing fine. There will be ups and downs and periods of bad or indifferent form, which we will naturally get arsey about. That's the nature of football. But I'd rather we build slowly and steadily for the long term, than have one great season and then plummet back down like Sheffield Utd. From what I can see, that's exactly what we're doing. I expect there will be some more investment in the summer to keep that process going.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #12637 on: May 09, 2021, 07:01:58 PM »
He's done a fucking great job.  I'm not completely sure he's the man to make us winners again, but I want him to be very much. 

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #12638 on: May 09, 2021, 07:06:50 PM »
He's done a fucking great job.  I'm not completely sure he's the man to make us winners again, but I want him to be very much. 
Yep.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #12639 on: May 09, 2021, 07:06:57 PM »
“Most of these players are better than they were 12 months ago”

Who?

Martinez - always good, not quite as good as early season.

Cash - huge improvement on Elmo - looked good from the very start, doesn’t look better than early season.

Mings- Good but a mistake in in him most games. Wouldn’t say he’s any better than before

Konsa- always good- still good

Targett - improved - no doubt.

Luiz- worse than before

McGinn- - played out of position, not as effective as before.

AEG/Trez/Traore- all performing at similar standards.

Barkley- worse than when he joined.

Watkins- huge Defoe like potential. Wouldn’t say he’s performing  better than early season though..

All in all, what I’m trying to say is the improvement in league positions is more a result of the massive investment from the owners than due to coaching methods and improving players. Is that really such a controversial opinion?

Offline danno

« Reply #12640 on: May 09, 2021, 07:14:29 PM »
All in all, what I’m trying to say is the improvement in league positions is more a result of the massive investment from the owners than due to coaching methods and improving players. Is that really such a controversial opinion?

So do we credit him with identifying said players instead ?
Dean Smith is probably the first manager in ten years* whose record in the transfer market is more hit than miss.

*yes its Probably longer, but do we really need to go over MON transfers again?  :)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #12641 on: May 09, 2021, 07:18:07 PM »
I hope we don't get caught by Wolves and Palace.  I can deal with finishing 11th after last season but don't want us to finish lower than those two teams.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #12642 on: May 09, 2021, 07:20:43 PM »
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Dean fined after some points he made in this interview.

I don't see why, he was pretty much spot on.

He’s saying what every other manager is thinking. And every other fan base whose team ends up playing Man U and gets fucked over.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #12643 on: May 09, 2021, 07:20:53 PM »
Yes, identifying players is, I think, one of Smith’s strengths.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #12644 on: May 09, 2021, 07:45:44 PM »

I don't see why, he was pretty much spot on.
I agree with you but the FA probably won't see it like that as he doesn't manage one of the ESL 6.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal