collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1543347 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12600 on: May 09, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »
How many managers actually change systems?
Guardiola and Rodgers have a few times this season. Even Moyes has been doing it too.

Always a good idea to have a plan B.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #12601 on: May 09, 2021, 05:44:12 PM »

and more importantly how often does it improve things?
not sure. What stats you got?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12602 on: May 09, 2021, 05:44:38 PM »
Jwarry , instead of a snarky comment, why not talk football? And if I do struggle to get out of bed, that’s certainly nothing to make fun of..

Just a frank discussion:
Which players are playing better than they have ever been or have massively improved? (I bet, Leeds fans could name a fair few)

If you think there has been no improvement in certain players, then you haven't been watching properly.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #12603 on: May 09, 2021, 05:46:20 PM »
Targett, Grealish, Konsa are playing better this season.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #12604 on: May 09, 2021, 05:55:20 PM »
So 3- I’d pretty much agree with that

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #12605 on: May 09, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »
Cash and Martinez have had good spells - but didn't really see much of either last season to know if they've played better.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #12606 on: May 09, 2021, 05:58:12 PM »
Cash and Martinez have had good spells - but didn't really see much of either last season to know if they've played better.

They were not here last season, that's why and Martinez didn't play that much for Arsenal anyway did he?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12607 on: May 09, 2021, 05:58:30 PM »
Jwarry , instead of a snarky comment, why not talk football? And if I do struggle to get out of bed, that’s certainly nothing to make fun of..

Just a frank discussion:
Which players are playing better than they have ever been or have massively improved? (I bet, Leeds fans could name a fair few)

It's a bit of a silly question though really. As a squad we're miles ahead of where we were when Smith came in and currently we're in a spell of poor form with no much to play for and one of the best players in the league out injured, most of our squad has played well in spells this season and we will be getting our best league placing for a decade with a team made mostly of players young enough to keep improving.

On individuals Konsa is clearly a better player now than he was when he joined, Targett has improved massively, Cash has had a solid first season, Mings has been generally very good, Martinez is probably the best keeper in the league, Grealish has had his best ever season, so has el ghazi, Bert has settled in pretty well but has things to work on, ditto Watkins. We've also brought Ramsey through from promising youngster to match day squad regular and he doesn't look out of place, Davis has had an impact in most games he's come on in the last month or 2.

The players we've seen regularly this season that are missing there show the problem pretty clearly, Barkley has been really disappointing, McGinn has been hit and miss and Luiz started the season really well but has struggled since the covid outbreak. If the 3 main starters in midfield are all struggling to impose themselves in games and the alternatives are a 19 year old kid, a limited ball winning midfielder and a guy who's currently injured and was bought with an eye on next season rather than what he would bring immediately then you're not going to see us at our best. This is why addressing the midfield options is far and away the most important thing that needs to happen in the summer.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #12608 on: May 09, 2021, 05:58:53 PM »
So three!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12609 on: May 09, 2021, 06:02:41 PM »

and more importantly how often does it improve things?
not sure. What stats you got?

None, because I think it's the job of the people making claims (that we'd be better if Smith changed things more) to provide stats proving their point. Oh and 'it couldn't have been any worse' isn't a reasonable argument.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12610 on: May 09, 2021, 06:03:00 PM »
The team aren't doing as well as they were at the start of the season so naturally individuals aren't doing as well as they were then. You can't just pick one arbitary point and say that's the timescale everyone has to be judged against - the defence is unrecognisable from twelve months ago, our forward line is vastly improved and midfield is currently missing one of the best players in the world.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #12611 on: May 09, 2021, 06:03:19 PM »
In recent interviews, Dean has been on and on about how he had a complete group of novices last season and how much of a challenge it was to stay up. I’ve actually never seen him admit that he’s a complete novice who has just as much to learn.

I think our squad is way better than what it is currently showing, and he should own it...

Luiz used to be good .

McGinn used to be amazing

Martinez is not at the same standard he was

Barkley is nowhere near what he was when he first joined.

I think Cash is also not as good as earlier in the season.

Watkins would get more goals in a better system.

Traore could be much more consistent.

We are so quick to blame players, but a coach’s job is  to “coach”. In other words Improve players..

So I ask

how many of our players have improved this season.(from last season or if they are new from when they first joined?

For me: just one player / Matt Targett , possibly Konsa

Jesus Christ I bet you struggle to get out of bed in the morning

I wasn’t being ‘snarky’ I am generally dumbfounded by your negativity.  Compared to last season I have thoroughly enjoyed watching my team this season.  I saw the emergence of a fantastic back four, a potential world class striker on our books, a top class keeper, a young 19 year old break into the team (usually unheard of for us), and of course SuperJack break into the England tram where he belongs.  Not to mention some unbelievable results along the way.  So yes I think you are being astonishingly negative

Offline Clampy

« Reply #12612 on: May 09, 2021, 06:03:43 PM »
So three!

It's an improvement on your original one.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #12613 on: May 09, 2021, 06:04:22 PM »

Just a frank discussion:

I wasn’t being ‘snarky’ I am generally dumbfounded by your negativity.  Compared to last season I have thoroughly enjoyed watching my team this season.  I saw the emergence of a fantastic back four, a potential world class striker on our books, a top class keeper, a young 19 year old break into the team (usually unheard of for us), and of course SuperJack break into the England tram where he belongs.  Not to mention some unbelievable results along the way.  So yes I think you are being astonishingly negative

Offline villa for life

« Reply #12614 on: May 09, 2021, 06:06:18 PM »
The point is, Aston Villa are better than they were last season because we have added better players. Watkins, Cash

But the point still stands, which players have actually improved. Konsa, Targett and Grealish. - only.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal