collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523198 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7395 on: March 30, 2020, 09:00:55 AM »
There is no chance at all he’s getting fired. It’s an amazing way to have survived but unless the season is able to finish which is highly unlikely now he’ll be our manager next season. And I hope if he is he’ll have learnt something about why things have turned upside down for him.

There were plenty of positives early in the campaign he didn’t capitalize on. And that really cost us later as we started to ship goals for fun and our attacking ability all but vanished. Next season we have buy better players but we need a far more stoic, pragmatic approach. I doubt we will spend £150m or whatever it was again. Sign players who will fight to grind out points and proper quality to share the load with Jack when we attack. And stop being so fucking tactically naive in games. Know when to close things out, subs at HT, change things based on circumstances. It’s something we all thought he’d be good at but was found severely lacking.
Fitness, ball retention, movement, tactical nous and game management. Oh, and defensive solidity.
That's what they should be working on now and prior to the resumption.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #7396 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:52 AM »
I watched the Everton 2-0 home win back. Dean Smith has aged about 10 years since that night, he looked a different man.

Seems to happen to every Villa manager ..remember the state of Lambert when he left to the guy who joined .

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7397 on: March 30, 2020, 11:12:57 PM »
I watched the Everton 2-0 home win back. Dean Smith has aged about 10 years since that night, he looked a different man.

Seems to happen to every Villa manager ..remember the state of Lambert when he left to the guy who joined .

Yes. Could have passed for a film star when appointed. Three years later, he looked like Colonel Gaddafi shortly after they pulled him out of that sewer.

Online Villan82

« Reply #7398 on: March 31, 2020, 12:55:51 AM »

Yes. Could have passed for a film star when appointed. Three years later, he looked like Colonel Gaddafi shortly after they pulled him out of that sewer.

The physical deterioration of Lambert was staggering. His beard phase too was a clear cry for help!

Then he looked great within months of the tic-tac.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7399 on: March 31, 2020, 12:49:12 PM »

The physical deterioration of Lambert was staggering. His beard phase too was a clear cry for help!

Then he looked great within months of the tic-tac.
I thought he looked brilliant, I really did.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #7400 on: March 31, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »
I don’t think Jacks latest shenanigans will have slowed the aging process.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #7401 on: April 20, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
As well as looking to improve his Spanish with a little bit of extra learning the gaffer has been re watching every single Vill match played this season to refresh his mind on the intricacies of the good and bad of the villa play.
Not only this Deano has , via a video link , appraised each and every squad member having personal one to one conversation and assessing them .

That's a real class act and complete professionalism by Dean Smith , one to never stop learning and looking after player welfare and development.
This manager shows  there is no end to how much good he keeps wanting to improve himself and his players.

Smith says:

"So, over the last three or four weeks, I've actually done an hour's review with each player, individually, just by video chat, just speaking to them about their season, how they think it's gone, what they think they need to improve on."

"We've got a sports psychology programme at the football club which we use and probably this is one of those periods where all players throughout the leagues should be tapping into it and seeing what they can do for themselves."

Smith also in regular contact with the fitness and performance coaches several times a week. Villa doing all the right things in having the players levels monitored, level of exertion recorded and how intensive the training is as well as having extra  equipment sent to players.

Really impressive how Dean Smith is keeping this club going at a most difficult time

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7402 on: April 20, 2020, 12:07:37 PM »
Thats good stuff Vill I An.  It's the sort of stuff you would expect any competant club to be doing, but it's still reassuring to hear.  If the season does renew, the clubs who have managed to keep players engaged, motivated and as fit as possible will thrive.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7403 on: April 20, 2020, 12:11:48 PM »
Thats good stuff Vill I An.  It's the sort of stuff you would expect any competant club to be doing, but it's still reassuring to hear.  If the season does renew, the clubs who have managed to keep players engaged, motivated and as fit as possible will thrive.
It'll be interesting to see what impact the lessons-learned from the season to date will have on the set-up and execution of future games. We seemed to have learned very little thus far.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #7404 on: April 20, 2020, 01:40:08 PM »

It certainly is reassuring. I doubt too many of the managers before him would've been doing it.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7405 on: April 20, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »
All good, just wish he would avoid the "at the football club" cliché bingo.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7406 on: April 20, 2020, 05:43:37 PM »
Show me, don't tell me. 

When we get back to normality of course.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #7407 on: April 23, 2020, 06:08:06 PM »
Before the games where stopped reports where he could be for the chop .I wonder how playing with no fans will effect that , in terms of no fans their to turn on him so owners can't  base the fans reaction at games to what to do ..certainly he wont get a cabbage thrown at him

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7408 on: April 23, 2020, 06:34:35 PM »
I think they will simply go by the results.  if Wes Edens comments recently made are to be believed, Dean is lucky he's still there!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7409 on: April 23, 2020, 08:19:30 PM »
I think they will simply go by the results.  if Wes Edens comments recently made are to be believed, Dean is lucky he's still there!
He is lucky, it was certainly a possibility that the Chelsea game could have been his last.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal