collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 505669 times)

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7425 on: March 31, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »
I don’t think Jacks latest shenanigans will have slowed the aging process.

Offline Vill I An

• Ahead of the Game
« Reply #7426 on: April 20, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
As well as looking to improve his Spanish with a little bit of extra learning the gaffer has been re watching every single Vill match played this season to refresh his mind on the intricacies of the good and bad of the villa play.
Not only this Deano has , via a video link , appraised each and every squad member having personal one to one conversation and assessing them .

That's a real class act and complete professionalism by Dean Smith , one to never stop learning and looking after player welfare and development.
This manager shows  there is no end to how much good he keeps wanting to improve himself and his players.

Smith says:

"So, over the last three or four weeks, I've actually done an hour's review with each player, individually, just by video chat, just speaking to them about their season, how they think it's gone, what they think they need to improve on."

"We've got a sports psychology programme at the football club which we use and probably this is one of those periods where all players throughout the leagues should be tapping into it and seeing what they can do for themselves."

Smith also in regular contact with the fitness and performance coaches several times a week. Villa doing all the right things in having the players levels monitored, level of exertion recorded and how intensive the training is as well as having extra  equipment sent to players.

Really impressive how Dean Smith is keeping this club going at a most difficult time

Online chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #7427 on: April 20, 2020, 12:07:37 PM »
Thats good stuff Vill I An.  It's the sort of stuff you would expect any competant club to be doing, but it's still reassuring to hear.  If the season does renew, the clubs who have managed to keep players engaged, motivated and as fit as possible will thrive.

Online Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #7428 on: April 20, 2020, 12:11:48 PM »
Thats good stuff Vill I An.  It's the sort of stuff you would expect any competant club to be doing, but it's still reassuring to hear.  If the season does renew, the clubs who have managed to keep players engaged, motivated and as fit as possible will thrive.
It'll be interesting to see what impact the lessons-learned from the season to date will have on the set-up and execution of future games. We seemed to have learned very little thus far.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #7429 on: April 20, 2020, 01:40:08 PM »

It certainly is reassuring. I doubt too many of the managers before him would've been doing it.

Offline Vill I An

• Ahead of the Game
« Reply #7430 on: April 20, 2020, 02:08:46 PM »
And Deano developing his Spanish will help him communication with Suso and dialogue they have which can further aid the cause .
I just like the way the gaffer goes about things at least from a learning perspective. It's players to buy in and engage that's the key with Smith.
He fancies himself as a coach but not in any sort of boastful way and he always speaks and thinks with purpose so can imagine each and every player review and season appraisal being of in-depth quality.

It's the player that has to be trusted (to understand the info) as in Deano we trust that he gives a decent tactical breakdown including video clips of players performance with I'm sure fair comment to each player.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:14:52 PM by Vill I An »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7431 on: April 20, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »
All good, just wish he would avoid the "at the football club" cliché bingo.

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #7432 on: April 20, 2020, 05:43:37 PM »
Show me, don't tell me. 

When we get back to normality of course.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #7433 on: April 23, 2020, 06:08:06 PM »
Before the games where stopped reports where he could be for the chop .I wonder how playing with no fans will effect that , in terms of no fans their to turn on him so owners can't  base the fans reaction at games to what to do ..certainly he wont get a cabbage thrown at him

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #7434 on: April 23, 2020, 06:34:35 PM »
I think they will simply go by the results.  if Wes Edens comments recently made are to be believed, Dean is lucky he's still there!

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #7435 on: April 23, 2020, 08:19:30 PM »
I think they will simply go by the results.  if Wes Edens comments recently made are to be believed, Dean is lucky he's still there!
He is lucky, it was certainly a possibility that the Chelsea game could have been his last.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #7436 on: April 23, 2020, 10:32:38 PM »
He's more likely to be here next season whatever happens now I think.

Got a weird feeling Frank Lampard's going to be our next manager. Might check out the odds.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #7437 on: April 23, 2020, 11:25:45 PM »
What were Wes Edens recent quotes? I think I've heard him talk about the Villa twice; upon saving the club and after winning at Wembley last year.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #7438 on: April 23, 2020, 11:36:08 PM »
Aston Villa's recruitment hasn't been all together successful since they were promoted to the Premier League.

The recruitment team, headed up by Spaniard Jesus Garcia Pitarch, identified and signed 12 players for £130million last summer. Very few of those players have proved to be successful buys, while the jury is still out on those who arrived in January.

To find the method behind Villa's transfer window strategy you need look no further than co-owner Wes Edens - a billionaire businessman with bags of experience in sport prior to pitching up at Villa Park.

In addition to Villa, Edens also co-owns NBA side Milwaukee Bucks and has enjoyed great success by identifying players through analytics.

‘Moneyball’ has become a core transfer policy for a number of British football clubs with Dean Smith’s former employers Brentford pioneers thanks to owner Matthew Benham.

The claret and blues leaned on analytics heavily in past transfer windows, although head of recruitment at the time Paddy Riley came to loggerheads with Tim Sherwood in 2015 over signings.

But the likes of Jordan Amavi, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Jordan Veretout and Jordan Ayew have since moved on to bigger and better things.

And judging by Edens’ comments during a Q&A with Interview.net, Villa’s approach to transfer windows will include much more statistical analysis.

“You know I always tell people in our businesses great judgement, overrated, great information, underrated,” says Edens.

“Because truly if you have great information most of the decisions are pretty darn simple. Yeah and so I feel like in soccer they’ve got a long way to go in terms of analytics data.

And so I feel like there’s a lot to be caught up to honestly and I believe in the end when you look there’s a number of NBA owners and U.S. sports owners that have done tremendously well (in football).

“You have Stan Kroenke at Arsenal, John Henry at Liverpool. Obviously they’ve got tremendous teams though and I’ve talked to both of them and others about their experiences. And I think that there are a lot more similarities than differences but there are some big differences for sure.”

Edens, who bought a controlling stake in Villa alongside Nassef Sawiris in 2018, understands talent-spotting still requires a good eye.

Villa have revamped their scouting system over the last 12 months with departures and arrivals aplenty.

Edens continued: “It’s not merely the data but I do think the foundation of it should be data driven and I think that that’s where we talk about underdogs and what not.

“It’s just that I have this very high motor to try to see things for what they are and that’s what the data allows you to do if you just apply it properly.

“But then you need good judgement at the end of course. But you know if it’s balanced by this underpinning of data and information you’re just likely to make much better decisions.”

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:40:50 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline eamonn

« Reply #7439 on: April 24, 2020, 12:53:54 AM »
Cheers Socc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal