collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1544343 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7455 on: April 30, 2020, 10:56:28 AM »
there is more chance of an asteroid colliding with Earth than Poch going to Newcastle.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7456 on: April 30, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »
there is more chance of an asteroid colliding with Earth than Poch going to Newcastle.

To be fair, the chances of an asteroid impacting earth are somewhere around the 100% mark, just a question of when.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #7457 on: April 30, 2020, 12:42:17 PM »
Got a weird feeling Frank Lampard's going to be our next manager. Might check out the odds.
what makes you think that? can't see Chelsea sacking him.

Not now but in 12 months time perhaps.

When Chelsea transfer ban is lifted expectations will inevitably increase and plenty of their managers get sacked if they're miles off a league challenge. It's not a club where even succesful managers like Mourinho or Conte stay more than 3 years.

Depends on timing but if DS keeps us up he'll still be here next season. Lampard's done well enough this season to be there next season aswell. After that it wouldn't shock me if both clubs are looking for managers in summer 2021 or whenever 20-21 actually ends.

Now given what Wes has said recently about playing decent football and also I imagine more emphasis on youth team and improving the flow to first team in next few years I'd say Lampard would be a serious consideration for them.

Even if John Terry has moved on from us by that point you can certainly see him recommending Lampard for the job if asked his opinion by the owners which I imagine they will.

He wouldn't be my first choice and it all depends on timing but I'd imagine he'd figure pretty highly on our shortlist if he's out of work the next time we change manager. Already got CL experience which would surely be something owners would also be looking for.

I kind of understand your reasoning but it would be a pretty smalltime appointment in my opinion.  I'd hope we'd be aiming for something a bit more dynamic and upwardly mobile than a guy deemed surplus to requirements at Chelsea.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7458 on: April 30, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »
Poch targeted by Jawdies' new owner.
He's a class act ...

... just sayin', like.
I'd be amazed if he went there, but if he did I'd be dissapointed at an opportunity missed by us.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #7459 on: April 30, 2020, 03:04:01 PM »
From the way he was speaking about us after we signed John McGinn - and again when he was linked with the job after Bruce's departure - it would be Brendan Rodgers if we're looking to make a change.

Depends how much backing he's getting in the current job. Quite a lot, by the looks of it. But there is a ceiling with clubs like Leicester. A stage as big as VP and getting a club like us firing might just appeal to him.

That assumes Tottingham or the like don't come in for him in the meantime.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #7460 on: April 30, 2020, 03:55:28 PM »
I know a couple of Celtic fans in Glasgow, and after John signed for us they thought that Brendan would come to Villa. Apparently it got quite messy at Celtic Park with Brendan only attending the ground for matches, he was always at the training ground, he and the board were hardly on speaking terms. Of course I have no idea if true. Personally I would love Brendan at Villa, but unfortunately at the moment I do not think it will happen

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #7461 on: April 30, 2020, 04:17:05 PM »
Brendan Rogers is too clever for his own good. Outthought by tactics Tim at Wembley.....no thanks.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7462 on: April 30, 2020, 05:11:28 PM »
Poch targeted by Jawdies' new owner.
He's a class act ...

... just sayin', like.
I'd be amazed if he went there, but if he did I'd be dissapointed at an opportunity missed by us.
Yep

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7463 on: April 30, 2020, 05:14:01 PM »
Brendan Rogers is too clever for his own good. Outthought by tactics Tim at Wembley.....no thanks.

He is a bit too clever for is own good, but he is clever, and he clearly knows how to get players playing in a distinctive, effective and attractive style.

He improves individuals too, he'd be my no1 potentially getable choice.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #7464 on: April 30, 2020, 05:14:12 PM »

Bottled another semi more recently as well.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #7465 on: April 30, 2020, 05:36:32 PM »
A bit too pseudo intellectual for me but a good manager, we'd probably be nuts to turn him down should he ever be offered the job and accept. The big doubt I have with him is the unshakable feeling that as soon as something he perceived to be bigger and better, he'd be off.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #7466 on: April 30, 2020, 06:01:19 PM »
A bit too pseudo intellectual for me but a good manager, we'd probably be nuts to turn him down should he ever be offered the job and accept. The big doubt I have with him is the unshakable feeling that as soon as something he perceived to be bigger and better, he'd be off.

Oh I agree with that. If however he made us better and left, he would leave us in a better position to get a good manager

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7467 on: April 30, 2020, 06:42:50 PM »
Brendan Rodgers or Rafa for me.  I do 't think we'd get either though and likely to stick with Dean, sadly.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7468 on: April 30, 2020, 07:49:44 PM »

I don't think you can really judge a manager by one game.

I'd be delighted with Rodgers. Can't see it happening, though, at least not yet.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7469 on: April 30, 2020, 08:00:14 PM »
Talk of Rodgers is pie in the sky at the moment.  He is doing well at Leicester and they are at least a few years ahead of us in terms os squad development.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal