collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522139 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5415 on: December 16, 2019, 03:34:53 PM »
We're one of the biggest club in the most popular league in the world, owned by some of the richest men on the planet.  I don't want Dean Smith to fail and be sacked, but if he does, then there won't be a shortage of candidates.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #5416 on: December 16, 2019, 03:38:46 PM »
Deeeeeaaaaaanoooooooo!

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5417 on: December 16, 2019, 03:41:23 PM »
We're one of the biggest club in the most popular league in the world, owned by some of the richest men on the planet.  I don't want Dean Smith to fail and be sacked, but if he does, then there won't be a shortage of candidates.

I'd agree, but then do we really want to be known as a barmpot of a club that hires and fires all the time? Where people start to treat us like we're treating them, i.e. badly, and the whole thing becomes a disaster? Do we want to start demanding unrealistic immediate results leading to more and more short-term thinking?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #5418 on: December 16, 2019, 03:42:22 PM »

I would hope that should the time come for that tough decision we won’t hesitate if there is legitimately someone better out there to rescue the situation and push us on. And I don’t mean some stop gap appointment either. That said I hope it never comes to that and in a month or so we are all wondering what all the fuss was about because we’ve pulled ourselves clear of trouble.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #5419 on: December 16, 2019, 03:43:12 PM »
I'd agree, but then do we really want to be known as a barmpot of a club
It's called a cobpot.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5420 on: December 16, 2019, 03:51:29 PM »

I'd agree, but then do we really want to be known as a barmpot of a club that hires and fires all the time? Where people start to treat us like we're treating them, i.e. badly, and the whole thing becomes a disaster? Do we want to start demanding unrealistic immediate results leading to more and more short-term thinking?

It's no different to any other club.  Look at Leicester.  Sacked Ranieri after the most amazing title win ever, then had two managers in two years.  Didn't stop Brendan Rodgers going there.  If Dean Smith proves he's the man for the job, then superb, I really couldn't be more pleased.  If he doesn't, then he gets the chop and we move on.  Fortunately for him, he's now got the three easiest fixtures of the year in a row, and he's got the opportunity to put some space between us and the bottom three. 

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #5421 on: December 16, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »
One of the most sought after managers in Europe in Pochettino was fired because it was the right thing to do for Spurs. Mourinho has come in and arguably exceeded all expectations and while Pochettino is someone Spurs fans won’t forget and the majority will still have great respect and affection for, I bet they are all delighted with how their team is playing now. We have to be ruthless if it’s needed. No room for sentiment.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5422 on: December 16, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »
If you really think we could bring in someone like Pochettino now, I've got a bridge you can buy.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #5423 on: December 16, 2019, 04:16:42 PM »
If you really think we could bring in someone like Pochettino now, I've got a bridge you can buy.

Cantilever or suspension? And can you deliver it?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5424 on: December 16, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »
I'd hope when the time does come the owners are more ambitious than some of the fans are. He may well not come, if he's available we won't know unless we try.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #5425 on: December 16, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »

Where did I suggest we could?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5426 on: December 16, 2019, 04:39:01 PM »

Bringing him into the debate does tend to imply it.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #5427 on: December 16, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »

Bringing him into the debate does tend to imply it.

Not at all. My point is very simply that if things aren’t going to plan and there is someone better out there then we should be looking to make that move. Mourinho was out there for Spurs despite having Pochettino. Southampton got Pochettino while they had Adkins. The job of Purslow is to evaluate the situation and make a business move such that we maintain our PL status and progress as a club. With or without the current manager.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #5428 on: December 16, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »
Yeah anyway, about this bridge?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5429 on: December 16, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »
Yeah anyway, about this bridge?
I saw it first.