collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522500 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4950 on: December 05, 2019, 05:39:34 AM »
Still has a huge blind spot regarding use of Subs.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4951 on: December 05, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »

I don't agree. i read a lot of this nonsense but it's with the benefit of hindsight and we haven't exactly got a stellar cast to call upon, the best players are already out there playing.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #4952 on: December 05, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »

I don't agree. i read a lot of this nonsense but it's with the benefit of hindsight and we haven't exactly got a stellar cast to call upon, the best players are already out there playing.

It’s not hindsight; his substitutions and non existent tactical changes were poor in the championship also. It’s been going on since last December
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:48:32 PM by Ketzster »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4953 on: December 05, 2019, 01:52:01 PM »

I don't agree on that one sorry Lee.  It's not just the personnel (akthough Wesley should have gone off last night) but the inability to respond to what's in front of him.  Time and time again we've been overrun in midfield, but he sticks stubbornly to 4-3-3 at all costs.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4954 on: December 05, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »
I can see both sides on the subs issue. I get frustrated during games when it looks like we need a change, but then again we've had countless managers over the years who've gone to a more defensive system when we're under the cosh and we always still conceded last -minute goals. At least with DS we always look like we could score one right to the final whistle.

Offline Davkaus

« Reply #4955 on: December 05, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »
Smith for me is our best manager since O'Neill.  I think he will actually exceed him if we stay up

Talk about damning with faint praise!

Better than Lambert, Bruce or McLeish, are you sure? :D

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4956 on: December 05, 2019, 06:07:25 PM »

I don't agree on that one sorry Lee.  It's not just the personnel (akthough Wesley should have gone off last night) but the inability to respond to what's in front of him.  Time and time again we've been overrun in midfield, but he sticks stubbornly to 4-3-3 at all costs.
This.   He really doesn’t seem to see how to make changes during a game and adapt to changes made by the opposition during a game.  All managers have their limits, I just hope he can learn quick.   I don’t think he will though as he has been making poor game management choices since he joined.   Shame as I really want him to be the guy.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4957 on: December 05, 2019, 06:11:42 PM »

This.   He really doesn’t seem to see how to make changes during a game and adapt to changes made by the opposition during a game.  All managers have their limits, I just hope he can learn quick.   I don’t think he will though as he has been making poor game management choices since he joined.   Shame as I really want him to be the guy.

I must have dreamt that Rotherham game last season then, and bringing on Hourihane & Green in the play-off first leg.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4958 on: December 05, 2019, 06:16:30 PM »

I must have dreamt that Rotherham game last season then, and bringing on Hourihane & Green in the play-off first leg.
Much more often than not he watches as we get pulled apart and tired.   

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4959 on: December 05, 2019, 06:18:03 PM »
Yes, beating Rotherham *completely* wins the argument.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #4960 on: December 05, 2019, 06:19:35 PM »
If he's such a bad manager and been "making poor game management choices since he joined" how did we get promoted breaking a club record along the way - sorcery? 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4961 on: December 05, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »
  It's not just the personnel (akthough Wesley should have gone off last night) but the inability to respond to what's in front of him.  Time and time again we've been overrun in midfield, but he sticks stubbornly to 4-3-3 at all costs.
I agree with the need for more flexibility in the team, and being able to respond better to the game in front of him.
Your point about Wesley is that I don't think Kodjia (last night's striker-subb) is a Prem player: he is not dynamic enough in the press. So, Smith's choices up front are somewhat limited.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:32:32 PM by Mister E »

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4962 on: December 05, 2019, 06:30:58 PM »
He is not a bad manager at all - he’s a pretty good manager.  But the difference between good managers and those who win silverware is the ability to act quickly during a game.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #4963 on: December 05, 2019, 06:34:16 PM »
He is not a bad manager at all - he’s a pretty good manager.  But the difference between good managers and those who win silverware is the ability to act quickly during a game.

The team are improving, so is the manager. I'll criticise him when he has the same options on the bench as he has on the pitch.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #4964 on: December 05, 2019, 06:35:39 PM »

We were dreadful in the first half at Rotherham. Mings got sent off at the end of the first half which meant he had no choice other than to make a change at half time. I wouldn’t be so bothered if he would occasionally try a different formation, has there ever been another manager that has never tried anything different?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal