collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 467580 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4965 on: December 05, 2019, 06:11:42 PM »
Still has a huge blind spot regarding use of Subs.

I don't agree. i read a lot of this nonsense but it's with the benefit of hindsight and we haven't exactly got a stellar cast to call upon, the best players are already out there playing.

I don't agree on that one sorry Lee.  It's not just the personnel (akthough Wesley should have gone off last night) but the inability to respond to what's in front of him.  Time and time again we've been overrun in midfield, but he sticks stubbornly to 4-3-3 at all costs.
This.   He really doesnít seem to see how to make changes during a game and adapt to changes made by the opposition during a game.  All managers have their limits, I just hope he can learn quick.   I donít think he will though as he has been making poor game management choices since he joined.   Shame as I really want him to be the guy.

I must have dreamt that Rotherham game last season then, and bringing on Hourihane & Green in the play-off first leg.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4966 on: December 05, 2019, 06:16:30 PM »

I don't agree. i read a lot of this nonsense but it's with the benefit of hindsight and we haven't exactly got a stellar cast to call upon, the best players are already out there playing.

I don't agree on that one sorry Lee.  It's not just the personnel (akthough Wesley should have gone off last night) but the inability to respond to what's in front of him.  Time and time again we've been overrun in midfield, but he sticks stubbornly to 4-3-3 at all costs.
This.   He really doesnít seem to see how to make changes during a game and adapt to changes made by the opposition during a game.  All managers have their limits, I just hope he can learn quick.   I donít think he will though as he has been making poor game management choices since he joined.   Shame as I really want him to be the guy.

I must have dreamt that Rotherham game last season then, and bringing on Hourihane & Green in the play-off first leg.
Much more often than not he watches as we get pulled apart and tired.   

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #4967 on: December 05, 2019, 06:18:03 PM »
Yes, beating Rotherham *completely* wins the argument.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #4968 on: December 05, 2019, 06:19:35 PM »
If he's such a bad manager and been "making poor game management choices since he joined" how did we get promoted breaking a club record along the way - sorcery? 

Online Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #4969 on: December 05, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »
  It's not just the personnel (akthough Wesley should have gone off last night) but the inability to respond to what's in front of him.  Time and time again we've been overrun in midfield, but he sticks stubbornly to 4-3-3 at all costs.
I agree with the need for more flexibility in the team, and being able to respond better to the game in front of him.
Your point about Wesley is that I don't think Kodjia (last night's striker-subb) is a Prem player: he is not dynamic enough in the press. So, Smith's choices up front are somewhat limited.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:32:32 PM by Mister E »

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4970 on: December 05, 2019, 06:30:58 PM »
He is not a bad manager at all - heís a pretty good manager.  But the difference between good managers and those who win silverware is the ability to act quickly during a game.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #4971 on: December 05, 2019, 06:34:16 PM »
He is not a bad manager at all - heís a pretty good manager.  But the difference between good managers and those who win silverware is the ability to act quickly during a game.

The team are improving, so is the manager. I'll criticise him when he has the same options on the bench as he has on the pitch.

Online Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #4972 on: December 05, 2019, 06:35:39 PM »

We were dreadful in the first half at Rotherham. Mings got sent off at the end of the first half which meant he had no choice other than to make a change at half time. I wouldnít be so bothered if he would occasionally try a different formation, has there ever been another manager that has never tried anything different?

Online Ketzster

« Reply #4973 on: December 05, 2019, 06:37:19 PM »

The team are improving, so is the manager. I'll criticise him when he has the same options on the bench as he has on the pitch.

This argument doesnít work for me. Last season we had better players than Wigan for example when we were totally outplayed. Instead of changing formation he made a triple substitution on 60 minutes and kept things exactly as they were. If December to March last year hadnít happened your point would have some validity. Grealish got us promoted after he came back against Derby. Before that, when we were reliant on Smith finding a way with the players he had, we were absolutely dreadful. That told us more about Smith than what came after Derby. Having a player who was head and shoulders above everybody else in the league, and Abraham etc. would always eventually lead to a few results
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:41:06 PM by Ketzster »

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #4974 on: December 05, 2019, 06:40:01 PM »

This argument doesnít work for me. Last season we had better players than Wigan for example when we were totally outplayed. Instead of changing formation he made a triple substitution on 60 minutes and kept things exactly as they were

I think it's safe to say that what he did towards the end of the season made up for one mistake.

Online Ketzster

« Reply #4975 on: December 05, 2019, 06:42:13 PM »

This argument doesnít work for me. Last season we had better players than Wigan for example when we were totally outplayed. Instead of changing formation he made a triple substitution on 60 minutes and kept things exactly as they were

I think it's safe to say that what he did towards the end of the season made up for one mistake.

One mistake? It went on for 14 games where we won 2 games. There were countless dreadful performances during that run. Preston away and Swansea in the cup came before Wigan and Reading away and Hull at home first half came after that for example. One of the two games we won was against Ipswich who hit the post and could easily have drawn. When he needed to find a way he didnít and he refused to try anything different
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:46:29 PM by Ketzster »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #4976 on: December 05, 2019, 06:43:57 PM »
Smith for me is our best manager since O'Neill.  I think he will actually exceed him if we stay up

We had a far superior budget than the two other promoted clubs for starters and many other clubs who will be scrapping to stay up against (Newcastle for example). Getting relegated would be an absymal failure, especially with the likes of Grealish, Mings, McGinn in the squad. Im still relatively confident, and most on here appear to have the same view, that we will stay up with a decent amount of points to spare.

But let's not kid ourselves by building up staying in the division as any kind of remarkable achievement.  Smith's tactics and the clubs recruitment last summer are open to valid criticism.Hence extending Smith's contract last week makes little sense.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:48:19 PM by brontebilly »

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #4977 on: December 05, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »
Playing devil`s advocate here ........ with Pochettino being available did our owners miss an opportunity to appoint a tried and tested top flight manager or, show great loyalty and faith in Smith, by extending his contract?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4978 on: December 05, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »
I think the team and tactics going into a game is improving.   But the in-game management for me isnít.   That needs to change to be successful.   Keeping Wes on the pitch last night was ridiculous.  Switching Jack up front would have made sense if he couldnít see a way to use Kodja.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #4979 on: December 05, 2019, 06:48:33 PM »

One mistake? It went on for 14 games where we won 2 games. There were countless dreadful performances during that run. Preston away and Swansea in the cup came before Wigan and Reading away and Hull at home first half came after that for example. One of the two games we won was against Ipswich who hit the post and could easily have drawn. When he needed to find a way he didnít and he refused to try anything different

Did you notice us getting promoted?