collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522654 times)

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4965 on: December 05, 2019, 06:37:19 PM »
He is not a bad manager at all - he’s a pretty good manager.  But the difference between good managers and those who win silverware is the ability to act quickly during a game.

The team are improving, so is the manager. I'll criticise him when he has the same options on the bench as he has on the pitch.

This argument doesn’t work for me. Last season we had better players than Wigan for example when we were totally outplayed. Instead of changing formation he made a triple substitution on 60 minutes and kept things exactly as they were. If December to March last year hadn’t happened your point would have some validity. Grealish got us promoted after he came back against Derby. Before that, when we were reliant on Smith finding a way with the players he had, we were absolutely dreadful. That told us more about Smith than what came after Derby. Having a player who was head and shoulders above everybody else in the league, and Abraham etc. would always eventually lead to a few results
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:41:06 PM by Ketzster »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4966 on: December 05, 2019, 06:40:01 PM »
He is not a bad manager at all - he’s a pretty good manager.  But the difference between good managers and those who win silverware is the ability to act quickly during a game.

The team are improving, so is the manager. I'll criticise him when he has the same options on the bench as he has on the pitch.

This argument doesn’t work for me. Last season we had better players than Wigan for example when we were totally outplayed. Instead of changing formation he made a triple substitution on 60 minutes and kept things exactly as they were

I think it's safe to say that what he did towards the end of the season made up for one mistake.

Offline Ketzster

« Reply #4967 on: December 05, 2019, 06:42:13 PM »

This argument doesn’t work for me. Last season we had better players than Wigan for example when we were totally outplayed. Instead of changing formation he made a triple substitution on 60 minutes and kept things exactly as they were

I think it's safe to say that what he did towards the end of the season made up for one mistake.

One mistake? It went on for 14 games where we won 2 games. There were countless dreadful performances during that run. Preston away and Swansea in the cup came before Wigan and Reading away and Hull at home first half came after that for example. One of the two games we won was against Ipswich who hit the post and could easily have drawn. When he needed to find a way he didn’t and he refused to try anything different
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:46:29 PM by Ketzster »

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4968 on: December 05, 2019, 06:43:57 PM »
Smith for me is our best manager since O'Neill.  I think he will actually exceed him if we stay up

We had a far superior budget than the two other promoted clubs for starters and many other clubs who will be scrapping to stay up against (Newcastle for example). Getting relegated would be an absymal failure, especially with the likes of Grealish, Mings, McGinn in the squad. Im still relatively confident, and most on here appear to have the same view, that we will stay up with a decent amount of points to spare.

But let's not kid ourselves by building up staying in the division as any kind of remarkable achievement.  Smith's tactics and the clubs recruitment last summer are open to valid criticism.Hence extending Smith's contract last week makes little sense.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:48:19 PM by brontebilly »

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #4969 on: December 05, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »
Playing devil`s advocate here ........ with Pochettino being available did our owners miss an opportunity to appoint a tried and tested top flight manager or, show great loyalty and faith in Smith, by extending his contract?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4970 on: December 05, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »
I think the team and tactics going into a game is improving.   But the in-game management for me isn’t.   That needs to change to be successful.   Keeping Wes on the pitch last night was ridiculous.  Switching Jack up front would have made sense if he couldn’t see a way to use Kodja.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #4971 on: December 05, 2019, 06:48:33 PM »

One mistake? It went on for 14 games where we won 2 games. There were countless dreadful performances during that run. Preston away and Swansea in the cup came before Wigan and Reading away and Hull at home first half came after that for example. One of the two games we won was against Ipswich who hit the post and could easily have drawn. When he needed to find a way he didn’t and he refused to try anything different

Did you notice us getting promoted?

Offline Ketzster

« Reply #4972 on: December 05, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »

Did you notice us getting promoted?

Yes but like I have said, I put that down to Grealish rather than Smith. A bit like John Terry, Chelsea and the champions league. If we had been left to Smiths tactical ability we wouldn’t have got anywhere near

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #4973 on: December 05, 2019, 06:52:10 PM »
So the manager was at fault when we had a bad run but one player, who he brought back and had the balls to make captain, was the sole reason for a good one? I think I'll leave it there - my head's about to explode. 

Offline Ketzster

« Reply #4974 on: December 05, 2019, 06:54:32 PM »
So the manager was at fault when we had a bad run but one player, who he brought back and had the balls to make captain, was the sole reason for a good one? I think I'll leave it there - my head's about to explode.

What is so absurd about what I’m saying? Grealish hadn’t been left out for tactical reasons, he’d been injured so in reality he didn’t bring him back. When a player is that much better than everybody else in the league, yes it can have a huge impact. If Smith had tried something different before that Derby game, fair enough, but he didn’t
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:56:06 PM by Ketzster »

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #4975 on: December 05, 2019, 06:56:36 PM »

What is so absurd about what I’m saying? Grealish hadn’t been left out for tactical reasons, he’d been injured. When a player is that much better than everybody else in the league, yes it can have a huge impact. If Smith had tried something different before that Derby game, fair enough, but he didn’t

Of course it's absurd. One player, no matter how good, is not going to make that much difference. And that really is my final word on the subject. 

Offline Ketzster

« Reply #4976 on: December 05, 2019, 06:59:50 PM »

What is so absurd about what I’m saying? Grealish hadn’t been left out for tactical reasons, he’d been injured. When a player is that much better than everybody else in the league, yes it can have a huge impact. If Smith had tried something different before that Derby game, fair enough, but he didn’t

Of course it's absurd. One player, no matter how good, is not going to make that much difference. And that really is my final word on the subject.

It’s not absurd, it’s an opinion and if you disagree that’s fine. But I don’t think Smith is good enough and I haven’t since the beginning of the year. Promotion didn’t change my thoughts on Smiths ability as a manager.

A manager that sets up the same no matter who you are playing, never changes anything during a game, is slow to make substitutions etc  probably has severe limitations as a manager
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:03:28 PM by Ketzster »

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4977 on: December 05, 2019, 07:20:02 PM »
Bristol City was one of our best performances last season. They had top 6 in their hands, and we ripped it off them.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4978 on: December 05, 2019, 07:24:44 PM »

Grealish did make that difference. The data backs it up pre that Derby game and post. We were a rabble in that time under Smith when Grealish was injured last season, even when the likes of Abraham and McGinn were available.

Smith did make good decisions, bringing back in Steer for his newly signed keeper for one.

The relevance for this season is that our fortunes still appear aligned to Jack's fitness pretty much.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4979 on: December 05, 2019, 07:27:38 PM »
Dean Smith knows just like all other managers in the PL that results will dictate his future. Right now he has earned the right to extend his time as our head coach. But if we are in any danger at all come March don’t be shocked if that new contract he just signed becomes another piece of paper that can be torn up. He’s the right man right now. It will be much down to him to see that remain the case.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal