collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522317 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #1185 on: November 14, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
I take “setting traps “ as inviting the ball to be played into a certain area/position by leaving a space or a player unmarked.  When the ball is played there, Villa players close the opponent down thus springing the trap

My only concern right now with Dean is he's openly explained our tactics to the media, thus the future opposition. Maybe he's got such a large bag of tricks he's not concerned but I'd be a lot happier if he kept his genius to himself and left everybody trying to work out how he did it.

After his post match comments of how he used Tammy to press their midfielder leaving the centre half with the ball and few options, even tactical eunuchs like Steve Bruce would be prepared. I can't think of another manager/coach that goes into such detail. Cut it out, Dean.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1186 on: November 14, 2018, 11:12:59 AM »
This management games isn't easy.  Jakanovic has been sacked, Wagner is second bottom and playing very defensive stuff.  Both managers who played fantastic football in the Championship and I'd have been delighted if we appointed either of them.  Meanwhile Cardiff's dinosaur is just above them after spending nothing!  Rafa is having to play eye watering defensive stuff to keep afloat.

I love what Dean Smith has done so far and am really excited about what we can achieve, but Fulham is a big lesson - they started with what I thought was a great team, spent a fortune and it's all gone tits up.  Making progressive football work in the PL is not easy. 

If we go up I'm hoping our wider structure and rich owners will help us avoid that trap, but interested to hear what people think of Fulhams struggles and how we avoid these if we reach the promised land?

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1187 on: November 14, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »
I take “setting traps “ as inviting the ball to be played into a certain area/position by leaving a space or a player unmarked.  When the ball is played there, Villa players close the opponent down thus springing the trap

My only concern right now with Dean is he's openly explained our tactics to the media, thus the future opposition. Maybe he's got such a large bag of tricks he's not concerned but I'd be a lot happier if he kept his genius to himself and left everybody trying to work out how he did it.

After his post match comments of how he used Tammy to press their midfielder leaving the centre half with the ball and few options, even tactical eunuchs like Steve Bruce would be prepared. I can't think of another manager/coach that goes into such detail. Cut it out, Dean.
You know, I thought the same.
Deano has proved he is tactically astute, time to keep schtumm.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1188 on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:02 AM »
This management games isn't easy.  Jakanovic has been sacked, Wagner is second bottom and playing very defensive stuff.  Both managers who played fantastic football in the Championship and I'd have been delighted if we appointed either of them.  Meanwhile Cardiff's dinosaur is just above them after spending nothing!  Rafa is having to play eye watering defensive stuff to keep afloat.

I love what Dean Smith has done so far and am really excited about what we can achieve, but Fulham is a big lesson - they started with what I thought was a great team, spent a fortune and it's all gone tits up.  Making progressive football work in the PL is not easy. 

If we go up I'm hoping our wider structure and rich owners will help us avoid that trap, but interested to hear what people think of Fulhams struggles and how we avoid these if we reach the promised land?

I think we look at the clubs that have gone up, avoided that trap and prospered - especially Bournemouth, also Brighton, Watford - until they went a bit mental and appointed Hughes Southampton. It's possible, and all of those sides did it without spending mental amounts of money.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1189 on: November 14, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
Fulham are a lesson in how not to organise a defence. They're utterly atrocious at the back and shuffle players in and out from one week to the next.

Offline exigo

« Reply #1190 on: November 14, 2018, 01:42:25 PM »
Fulham are also a lesson in not changing too many players at the same time. Something that put the fear of God into me under Bruce, but much less so under Smith.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1191 on: November 14, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »
I would say that Fulham are a lesson in how not to spend money. £30 million on Mitrovic ffs

As for Dean Smith, early days admittedly but he’s looking an even better proposition than I ever expected.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1192 on: November 14, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »

Well Klopp does the same and quite happily talks about his tactics. A few days ago he was totally puzzled about a disallowed goal where Mane was flagged offside. Klopp explained that Mane was deliberately used to run in an offside position to distract defenders  whilst the man with the ball attacked.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1193 on: November 14, 2018, 03:04:49 PM »

The opposition will have us watched and be well aware of how we play and will, in most cases, prepare accordingly. I don’t think he’s divulging any trade secrets with his analysis.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #1194 on: November 14, 2018, 04:07:41 PM »
I think its all to do with the new Gareth Southgate management template where they are all happy to talk tactics with the world and his wife.

Personally I prefer the Saunders taciturn barely concealed contempt approach.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #1195 on: November 14, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »

It’s only clear what he’s done though after the game. He probably has fifty options to pick per game and the opposing coaches can’t anticipate all of them.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1196 on: November 14, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »

It’s only clear what he’s done though after the game. He probably has fifty options to pick per game and the opposing coaches can’t anticipate all of them.

I'd had the same fear as Rudy and Andy. Given that I know less than Steve Bruce about tactics, I hoped somebody would post a reason to allay concerns. Thank you!

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1197 on: November 14, 2018, 09:10:49 PM »
Never fear, should our tactical preperations get rumbled we can always fall back to what the players are well trained in, intense boot pulling and sleeve rolling.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1198 on: November 14, 2018, 09:20:40 PM »
Its is one thing to know what an opponent is doing it is another having the wear with all to counter it ,    come on the Villa !!!

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1199 on: November 14, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »
Never fear, should our tactical preperations get rumbled we can always fall back to what the players are well trained in, intense boot pulling and sleeve rolling.

I'd forgotten about that. With our boots on we can't fail. Terry needs to be the one checking this . I can't recall seeing a Brentford player wearing boots. Certainly since Hogan came here the staunch insistence on boot-wearing seems to have impeded him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal